General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

9 hours ago, N4L said:

I love kittle and obviously hope for his sake he gets paid, but I really don't have an issue with us letting him play out this year, then tagging him two years in a row. Getting paid the average of the top 5 TEs is an absolute steal for the franchise.

He is 100% worth 15+ million but that doesn't mean he will get paid as such. 

I don't know how anyone on the football side could say not to kittle... but paarag? I could see him being made to be the bad guy because when you really think about it, George doesn't have a lot of leverage. 

He is also our most marketable player. He should be able to make up the difference in endorsements (although I will say advertising money is down significantly since covid, we will see how that shakes out)

Lets just all prepare ourselves for this. Kittle isn't getting paid this year. Its just not happening. We really don't have any reason to pay him now other than we want to reward him for all of the hard work he has done. 

I don't want to be that team that hangs that over players' heads and goes down that road and honestly, I think very few teams will allow it to go down that path. That's why we see it happen so infrequently. I think that we have an excellent relationship with the players, and I would like to keep that. Things like the double tag are a way to potentially ruin those relationships with agents and players if the assertion is that we aren't negotiating in good faith. I honestly would rather just trade him for a first + whatever else now as opposed to double tagging him, but I also have a personal bias against the abuse of the franchise tag.

George has the same amount of leverage as everyone else in these situations; he can sit out. Sometimes, that's not enough. Sometimes, that is. I don't know which it would be for us. I think we will find a contract at some point this season with him. As @y2lamanaki said, there are plenty of reasons to want to get this done sooner as opposed to later. 

His  endorsements really have nothing to do with his contract though. 

• Like 1

A few months ago, I said I'd give him 14m per... I'm starting to think it will be 17m+. Once the deal is done, it won't matter much to me. He deserves to get paid, and I enjoy watching him play. Make George happy.

• Like 2

They need to get this done ASAP before Kelce gets his next contract. George should probably be getting 15-16m py. Whoever signs first will get less money so I hope it's George. No franchise tags for me. 

It will also be interesting to find out the upcoming salary caps in coming years. COVID has stuffed things up short term but 15-16m may be a really good deal from 2022 onwards so a 5 or 6 year deal would be ideal. 6 years/90m with about 35-40m guaranteed with the usual outs that Paraag puts in would be good.

One issue is not having certainty of next year's cap number. It was rumored to get up to 240M but no one knows now. There's going to be a lot of inflated contracts due to the big increase in cap and I'm sure Kittle's camp is taking that into consideration while the FO is a bit hesitant not knowing how the pandemic impacts things for next season. 

Dude should and will get more than 15M a season. Best receiver on the team while being a monster blocker. Pay the man! 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

One issue is not having certainty of next year's cap number. It was rumored to get up to 240M but no one knows now. There's going to be a lot of inflated contracts due to the big increase in cap and I'm sure Kittle's camp is taking that into consideration while the FO is a bit hesitant not knowing how the pandemic impacts things for next season. 

Dude should and will get more than 15M a season. Best receiver on the team while being a monster blocker. Pay the man! 

Is he the new "Pay the man!" guy? I forget who that rallying cry was for last time. Maybe Dashon Goldson. But I don't think we paid the man. 

Edit:

This is just a random musing. 

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

So we have rumors about being far apart from Kittle in contract demands. And we had rumors of the Niners being interested in Hooper, Engram, & Kmet...ugh just pay the man. 

And a history of trading stud players in their prime when the contract demands are too much :D:D:D

But no, seriously...don't think that it's an issue. I'd put it at like 1% that a trade is any sort of real possibility. Kittle is just too big with regards to play, personality, etc. I don't think are going to go down that path. I only give the 1% because I can understand why a team wouldn't be keen on giving tight ends wide receiver money, even if they earn it. 

The nice thing is that we also have a history of over-resetting the market for a position (hello Mr Juice Check), so paying Kittle like a receiver wouldn't be something we are afraid to do in my opinion. 

Yea but we HAD to overpay guys like Juice and Garcon back then. There was no incentive other than money to come here at that time. We were bad team that lacked overall talent, with a first time HC and GM. Not really your top choice for pending free agents. We had money so we had to throw it around and entice guys to sign up for a rebuild. Talent wise, Juice has definitely lived up to it though.

• Like 1

Money wise, what would you guys pay Kittle? 

I'd say around $15 million per year seems fair. I think the top TE salary is around $11 million? (Hunter Henry on the franchise tag). So he blows open the TE market but doesn't get something like $20 million per year. 

30 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Money wise, what would you guys pay Kittle? 

I'd say around $15 million per year seems fair. I think the top TE salary is around $11 million? (Hunter Henry on the franchise tag). So he blows open the TE market but doesn't get something like $20 million per year. 

Yup. 15 per yr is about my max. Seems plenty fair for both sides. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm also good with 15. I'm not going to be mad if he manages to get more, after all, I've said what i think about his worth several times. But 15 is really super crushing that tight end market

I always thought it would be around 15 but the way his agent is talking, which he should be at this point, has me thinking that 15 won't be enough. Sounds like he's gunning for top tier WR type money so that has me thinking its going to be at least 17. 

I'd be super excited for any deal 15 per and under. I just don't think its going to happen. Hope I'm wrong though. George doesn't strike me as the 'I wanna break the bank' type. But he'd be foolish not to try to maximize every cent while he's clearly at the top of the TE hierarchy.

Edited by 757-NINER

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/dre-greenlaw-is-good-san-francisco-49ers-nfl

This is a pretty cool article on Dre Greenlaw.

He was one of the best linebackers in the league at limiting receiving production. Among linebackers who were targeted 50 or more times this year, only Darius Leonard, Jayon Brown and Eric Kendricks allowed a lower passer rating than Greenlaw’s mark of 83.6.

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Yea this article just furthers my belief that Alexander probably won't be around past this upcoming season. Dre has been a true steal in every sense of the word and if he continues the trajectory he's on, he'll be a more complete WILL than Alexander in a year or two. I really liked what Alexander has brought to our defense. His speed and range helped transform the front seven, along with having viable edge pressure. But he seems to be a bit injury prone and his tackling is still an issue, though it has improved. 

Edited by 757-NINER