General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm taking James over Taylor. I just think he's a better talent and the more versatile WR.

The problem is that we never use him like that, though I don't disagree with you. If we were cutting him loose, I think he has a bigger impact. We only had 3 competent receivers at one point last year and we still wouldn't give him a shot to play real wr snaps, which is basically when I figured his days were numbered. Down the stretch, I believe these were his offensive snaps when we were basically just rolling with Sanders / Deebo / bourne: 2, 11, 3, 8, 4. He started the season getting over 25 per game, so it seems like he fell out of favor. It doesn't help that he's frankly not a good returner in the least. He's probably the 4th best punt returner on the team (and that doesn't even include Pettis, who can maybe at least figure that part of his game out), and he's just flat awful in the kick return game.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Forge said:

The problem is that we never use him like that, though I don't disagree with you. If we were cutting him loose, I think he has a bigger impact. We only had 3 competent receivers at one point last year and we still wouldn't give him a shot to play real wr snaps, which is basically when I figured his days were numbered. Down the stretch, I believe these were his offensive snaps when we were basically just rolling with Sanders / Deebo / bourne: 2, 11, 3, 8, 4. He started the season getting over 25 per game, so it seems like he fell out of favor. It doesn't help that he's frankly not a good returner in the least. He's probably the 4th best punt returner on the team (and that doesn't even include Pettis, who can maybe at least figure that part of his game out), and he's just flat awful in the kick return game.  

I don't think James is a 'awful' returner. He's middle of the pack and his numbers reflect that. Certainly we all would like him to be better but its not like he's a complete liability back there. 

As far as his usage, I don't really see it the way you do. I do think he just needs to get better from a technical standpoint. There are parts to his route-running he needs to clean up. But as far as him not given opportunities, I don't see that as a indictment. None of the WRs were pulling their weight until Sanders showed up. We had a really young group that needed a vet to school them on how to be a professional and perform on the biggest stage. He averaged 27 yards a reception...he definitely made the most of his opportunities. And once Sanders arrived, how much of a opportunity could he realistically expect after Kittle, Deebo, Sanders, Juice and Bourne all got theirs? I definitely thought Shanny didn't call his number enough but its hard to argue with the offensive results.

This will be his third year with the team and I think this will ultimately tell us what his future holds here, and professionally as a whole. I still really like what he brings to the table just like when his name was called on draft day. He's shown glimpses of what 'could be'. Just has to take it a step further to remain on the roster.

My worst fear is James getting cut and ending up somewhere like Green Bay and lights it up with Rodgers. I would be livid.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I would not at all be surprised to see Jennings make the team out of TC. JL and KS love his toughness and I know Lynch has said on multiple occasions he thinks he could play safety if he wanted to. My guess is we keep 7 and Jennings is that 7th guy who will he kept primarily to play STs, but probably ends up getting more snaps at receiver than the sixth guy, just for the fact that he’d be active. What I hope we do and I think will probably transpire is as follows:

Deebo - Bourne - Aiyuk - Taylor - Hurd - Pettis - Jennings 

PS - James - Finke

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 6:15 PM, Gravity said:

Saw a video Brunskill playing OG against the Rams last year. He played very well against Donald.

I'm still opposed to moving him inside but if that is the course they choose to take I'll trust the staff. I mean we've seen it work before with Alex Boone. I just don't want it to become a thing where we take OTs and plug them inside as some type of stop-gap. I'd feel a little more comfortable having talent who are guards by trade, man the position.

Edited by 757-NINER

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm still opposed to moving him inside but if that is the course they choose to take I'll trust the staff. I mean we've seen it work before with Aaron Boone. I just don't want it to become a thing where we take OTs and plug them inside as some type of stop-gap. I'd feel a little more comfortable having talent who are guards by trade, man the position.

I think you mean Alex Boone, but if we can lock up Williams and still have McGlinchey for years to come, why not field the best players, this would include Brunskill at Guard at this point. In an emergency, we could always throw him back outside, but the point is to field the best players, if Brunskill is our best Guard at this point, then get him on the field.

Its easier to start Brunskill at Guard and throw him outside if need be, than to designate him as a backup Tackle and try and find a Guard on the current roster that is better, There may be one, but thats what camp is for

1 hour ago, P_locniners said:

I think you mean Alex Boone, but if we can lock up Williams and still have McGlinchey for years to come, why not field the best players, this would include Brunskill at Guard at this point. In an emergency, we could always throw him back outside, but the point is to field the best players, if Brunskill is our best Guard at this point, then get him on the field.

Its easier to start Brunskill at Guard and throw him outside if need be, than to designate him as a backup Tackle and try and find a Guard on the current roster that is better, There may be one, but thats what camp is for

No, what I'm saying is instead of addressing RG as real need, we either throw low-tier free agents at it (Person, Compton) or go in-house with a converted OT. Eventually I think we have to start finding real talent to play along the interior. They spent money on Richburg and have basically pieced together the rest of the inside with bargain basement talent. Even Tomlinson, who though was a first round pick, came here via trade because he underwhelmed in Detroit. We don't seem to have a problem using our resources to secure talent@the tackle spots. But we seem to go cheap when trying to configure the interior is what I'm alluding to. 

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

No, what I'm saying is instead of addressing RG as real need, we either throw low-tier free agents at it (Person, Compton) or go in-house with a converted OT. Eventually I think we have to start finding real talent to play along the interior. They spent money on Richburg and have basically pieced together the rest of the inside with bargain basement talent. Even Tomlinson, who though was a first round pick, came here via trade because he underwhelmed in Detroit. We don't seem to have a problem using our resources to secure talent@the tackle spots. But we seem to go cheap when trying to configure the interior is what I'm alluding to. 

I believe Shanahan has said before that he values tackles and centers greatly, but guards not so much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, struby3 said:

I believe Shanahan has said before that he values tackles and centers greatly, but guards not so much.

Yup he does not value guards and it seems like he thinks he can fit anything in there and make it work which he has. I don't ever expect us to spend big money or draft a player high to play guard. 

Out of curiosity, for someone who's never played football, how big of a change is it really to switch from tackle to guard? I would've guessed that it'd be harder to transition from one side to the other (say LT, RT) as everything you've learned is flip-flopped than simply slipping inside from LT to LG. I do realize that neither transition is seamless due to a whole bunch of reasons both physical and technical so no disrespect to our big guys :) 

4 hours ago, evilflamingo said:

Out of curiosity, for someone who's never played football, how big of a change is it really to switch from tackle to guard? I would've guessed that it'd be harder to transition from one side to the other (say LT, RT) as everything you've learned is flip-flopped than simply slipping inside from LT to LG. I do realize that neither transition is seamless due to a whole bunch of reasons both physical and technical so no disrespect to our big guys :) 

Its more so who you're asked to block and the confinement of space. OTs don't take on 320 lbs DTs and NTs routinely. They have their own problems dealing with quick and athletic DEs and OLBs so its more of the defenders they face and being physically equipped to contain them.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2020 at 6:28 AM, 49erurtaza said:

Yup he does not value guards and it seems like he thinks he can fit anything in there and make it work which he has. I don't ever expect us to spend big money or draft a player high to play guard. 

SHOULD HAVE WENT AFTER NORWELL!!! xD

• Like 1