Who should be fired?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be fired?

• Mack McCaffrey
    • Ted Thompson (born January 17, 1953)
    • A-A-Ron
    • the Patriots
    • there is no fifth option

Haven't watched the game yet (probably won't get to it until later tonight), but this is one of those early games you throw out and not look back at it.  You don't lose your starting tackles and backup swing tackle prior to the game, lose your starting DT, two starting WRs, and have your CBs go out with various injuries and expect to win against a Super Bowl contender.

This game lies on the offense in my opinion.  Two brutal turnovers resulting in 14 points, and outside of the first drive they didn't do anything the first half.  Atlanta has one of the best offenses (if not the best) in the league, and the last two times we've played them the offense has a combined 7 points in the first halves... that will not work against these guys. 

On defense, Daniels is probably the one guy that we absolutely need to stay healthy.  I think every defense probably has one or two guys that they need on the field, similar to Seattle losing Earl and looking terrible last year.  But the one area that I think is fair to be concerned about is Randall/Rollins.  That is a 1st and 2nd rounder, if both end up being average/below average then that's is a huge drafting hole.  It is still too early to tell but I think its fair to be concerned at this point.  Between them and King, that is 2 firsts and a second, it may take a few years still but at some point our secondary should become a strength (especially when you add in Ha-Ha as another first).  

Its a long season, I guarantee we will be one of the favorites at the end of the year...just like every other year this last decade.

3 hours ago, Howler said:

I'm not seeing Bennett as an upgrade on Cook thus far. Frankly, we miss Cook's attributes. 

Give Marty time.  

You are remembering Cook from the playoffs.  He had darned few games with 5 catches or more for GB until playoff time.  And he wasn't even a willing blocker.

Watch the film sometime and see the attention that Marty gets from the defense.  The reason Cobb has looked so good and gotten so open is because the defense is shading to Marty.  I saw that over and over against Seattle.  Not as much against the Falcons, but I haven't re-watched any tape yet.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Give Marty time.  

You are remembering Cook from the playoffs.  He had darned few games with 5 catches or more for GB until playoff time.  And he wasn't even a willing blocker.

Watch the film sometime and see the attention that Marty gets from the defense.  The reason Cobb has looked so good and gotten so open is because the defense is shading to Marty.  I saw that over and over against Seattle.  Not as much against the Falcons, but I haven't re-watched any tape yet.

Kind of random but I love you guys that watch tape a let us know what you find.  Really helps understand the team, and see more than what you see live.  I was curious what has led to Cobbs great start. 

2 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

Kind of random but I love you guys that watch tape a let us know what you find.  Really helps understand the team, and see more than what you see live.  I was curious what has led to Cobbs great start. 

If you can, find the Seattle game online and watch it.  From what I remember seeing, they manned up the WR's and played zone underneath with the linebackers and sometimes with a safety.  Kind of spread them around the field about 6-8 yards from the LOS.  Wherever Marty B went, both guys near him in the zone shaded towards him.  We ran a lot of crossing routes with Marty going one way and Cobb going the other.  That led to some nice plays.

I didn't see as much yesterday, so I'd be curious to see if he got the same attention from the Atlanta squad.

Another thing I forgot to mention is I was really disappointed with Dean Lowry's pass rush. I don't expect Clark to provide much in that way but Lowry really needed to be that inside pass rusher on 3rd down in place of Daniels. Did anyone see how often he was on the field? 

Just now, RoellPreston88 said:

Do you all feel the Packers WRs have had a heard time getting open the last few years?

Seems like other team's WRs are wide open (not just vs us), whereas Rodgers always has to fit it into tight coverage.

Not sure if its scheme or our guys just can't beat press. 

Thoughts?

One of the common thoughts from the last couple years is Mike McCarthy's 1v1 match up heavy offense is outdated and that the Packers don't do enough to scheme their wide receivers open. I don't know if that's still the case though. I see a lot more rub routes and other exotic route trees that we didn't call before. I think part of the problem is Rodgers has had such a great O line the last couple years we have relied less and less on timing plays and more on improvisation and big plays. 

12 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Another thing I forgot to mention is I was really disappointed with Dean Lowry's pass rush. I don't expect Clark to provide much in that way but Lowry really needed to be that inside pass rusher on 3rd down in place of Daniels. Did anyone see how often he was on the field? 

I don't think Dean is healthy. He had the knee injury and just last night he hobbled off and they were looking at his knee. 

I might be one of the few who don't think the sky is falling right now. It's week two. It was their home/stadium opener. Considering all the circumstances, I at least understand the loss. It will be paramount to not lose games against teams we should beat going forward. If we want to beat the Falcons in the playoffs, it will need to be at Lambeau. Luckily for us, they play in a good division. 

Hopefully the coaching staff continues to play King and Jones. We need as much speed and athleticism on the field as possible. Get those guys going now, deal with the growing pains, and when the playoffs roll around -- you might have have something. 

Was disappointed in HHCD as somebody previously said. Obviously he can be borderline elite, and we've seen that, but it seems every once in a while he has a game like he did last night. Brice also appeared to miss a bunch of tackles. 

I feel like Marty will be a total bust here unless Aaron changes the way he plays. Marty is totally different from Cook. Cook was a mismatch from a speed standpoint, he created separation. 

Marty is a stud because he's massive and an above average athlete for his size, but he's not going to gain separation. Aaron threw him at least 2-3 back-shoulder throws last night. Dude is 6'7, don't make him stop and try to bend down and get balls, put the damn ball in the air and he'll come down with it. Rodgers hates chucking up that 50/50 ball, ever since Finley left, he almost never does it. Marty is a physical dude, not soft like Cook was. Aaron needs to change his mindset, when Marty is running 1-1 with that DB, the ball needs air on it, let him go get it. That's what Cutler and Brady did, that's why he's a top 10 TE. He's also a load to take down, so stop bringing him to the ground throwing him open, just trust him.

Sometimes I feel like when we're backed up against a wall, the only guy Aaron trusts on the field is himself. Guys like Adams, Nelson and Marty are elite at finding the ball and coming down with it. When we're stalling out, give them a chance to make a play instead of putting it all on you.

1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Idk who to hold accountable anymore when the issues constantly morph. 

That's a very interesting point of view, one I can agree with. I do feel like our failures have been due to a mixture of things. I also can see people thinking the problem being different things ( personnel, coaching, etc.) I just believe upper-management needs to make a decision on what they think it is. 

Archived