37 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be fired?

• Mack McCaffrey
    • Ted Thompson (born January 17, 1953)
    • A-A-Ron
    • the Patriots
    • there is no fifth option

FWIW:

The Atlanta Falcons averaged 34 PPG last year.

They scored 34 Points last night.

They could probably have scored more if they hadn't gone into clock killing mode in the early 4th quarter, but I do think it's worth mentioning. 

You can't lose game wreckers on defense, and Mike Daniels is a game wrecker. 

EDIT:

That isn't to say the defense played well. They did not. They failed to make the two or three game changing plays that you need out of them.

It's just to say that the other guys get paid too.

The decision to run Julio out of the slot whenever they needed yardage was a great one. The worst part is that strategy should play right into our defense's hands. The lack of pressure just killed us. 

In all seriousness, if anyone should be fired its the d-back coaches.  Trailing a fast receiver on a crossing route is not good d but that is what they did all night.  Letting a wide out get behind you is not good technique but they did that all night long.  Technique and footwork of the Packers d-backs has been an issue for the last couple years and it doesn't appear to be getting better.  That is on the position coaches.  

I've observed the same trend I've seen for years now in GB. Against offenses where our talent can win outright one-on-one (against Seattle last week for example) we perform usually pretty well defensively because we have sufficient talent on the field and we simply over-match the opposing offense. However, when we are up against a team who has equal (or better) talent on the other side of the ball, it doesn't just become a harder test, it often becomes a lopsided affair where we give up HUGE days (sometimes record days) to offenses. To me this screams that when our talent alone cannot win on that side of the ball, we are getting so severely out-coached that these are the results we see again and again. 

Same problems, different year:

Defense:

-Middle of the field wide open

-Lack of pass rush

-Corners play awful technique

Offense:

-Receivers can't get open, not fast or strong enough to beat press coverage

-No scheming open of WRs

I have read this forum for a long time, and it seems those who criticize TT and to a lesser extent MM, are ostracized and eventually run off the site. Well, perhaps those people were right. MM should be criticized for nothing else if only not firing Dom Capers,  Ted has a very high bust rate in his Top 100 picks that no one wants to talk about (Rollins and Randall come to mind, what a wasted draft that was). 

Wake me up when we get a new defensive coordinator (never), or when Dorsey is our GM. 

I actually didn't think the pass rush was that terrible. The OLBs were doing an OK job. I thought Clay looked really good. The issue was once Mike Daniels was gone the interior pass rush wasn't there and more often than not Matt Ryan would just step up in the pocket. Also we couldn't buy a coverage sack or play. If Ryan had any time no fail there was someone open over the middle. 

House and King did there best but I don't know how many times I have to watch Randall and Rollins a good yard behind the WR on drags across the field. Also, I thought the safeties had one of there poorest games. I thought Brice got benched for Jones till today when I heard that Brice had a groin. It seemed like the safeties spent most of their time limiting the damage done by the corners but we need them to make some plays with the inexperience at corner. 

On offense I give a lot of credit to McCray. I thought he looked pretty good most of the game and held up better than I anticipated even without help. Rodgers looked good at times and bad at times.

Overall I don't think the team played as bad as the score considering the injuries. I think this defense has some talent but it needs to get healthy and at least one of Randall/Rollins needs to be better. I wouldn't mind seeing Hawkins if we keep seeing the same thing over the next couple games. 

29 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I've observed the same trend I've seen for years now in GB. Against offenses where our talent can win outright one-on-one (against Seattle last week for example) we perform usually pretty well defensively because we have sufficient talent on the field and we simply over-match the opposing offense. However, when we are up against a team who has equal (or better) talent on the other side of the ball, it doesn't just become a harder test, it often becomes a lopsided affair where we give up HUGE days (sometimes record days) to offenses. To me this screams that when our talent alone cannot win on that side of the ball, we are getting so severely out-coached that these are the results we see again and again. 

Can you prove how this trend exists outside of the "better teams do better" filter that will naturally occurring?

I still think we can get the #1 seed. ATL has a harder road than us. They have some tough road games plus the south overall is much better than last season  I can see them dropping more games within their division this year.

I'm encouraged about this defense going forward,  we got decent pressure being short handed on pass rushers.

Can't wait to throw Brooks, Beigel and Adam's into the mix, that will help the secondary immensely.

What is disappointing is the Packers too often look out coached. Why was Julio Jones running so free? Why does Sanu always look all pro against Green Bay? Why does it seem Randall and Rollins are always chasing WR's not covering WR's. Same old same old right now and not even close to Super Bowl caliber. 

5 hours ago, Revel8 said:

Nearly all those losses are due to injuries, special teams, and defense.  Not Rodgers.  Rodgers is what gives the Packers a chance, not what dooms them into to playoffs losses lol.

In fact, that's why Rodgers continues to perform better than Brady in the playoffs and score more points than Brady in the playoffs, yet still lose more playoff games.

Playoff Stat—–Rodgers—Brady
QB Rating———–99.4——–89.0
Completion %-—63.5%——62.7%
PPG———---——28.75———26.7
YPA—————---—7.5———–6.9
TD %————---—-6.0%——–4.8%
INT %———---——1.7%——–2.3%

I'm discussing playoff lossesnot playoffs. You can't absolve the offense in those games. A top-5 offense should be scoring more than the opponent's average ppg allowed. As for the injuries, you have to acknowledge the injuries the defense has suffered as well.

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Can you prove how this trend exists outside of the "better teams do better" filter that will naturally occurring?

Naturally, better offenses are going to have better days against our defense as they do against other defenses as well. I'd be crazy if I said "we should have held ATL to 10 points!" But the statistics over the last 3 contests in ATL speak for themselves. I would bet that statistically our defense has performed worse over that 3-game stretch than any other defense in the league in their last 3 trips to ATL. Maybe someone has the stats to prove me wrong, but I'd be surprised. That says something about us because we have more talent on defense than several defenses across the league.  

Admit it.  When you heard both Bulaga AND Bak weren't playing the rational side of your mind should've said "Uh ho".  When you saw Jordy pull up lame and Daniels leave the game?  I know- injuries aren't excuses, but what GM in the league can plan for what happened to our active list last night?  Randall cannot cover Julio.  Period, end of discussion.  Thank god we don't play them again for four months.  When Daniels went out our pass rush had no push and our run defense was less than mediocre.  That was what I found most frustrating.  Giving up 140 yards rushing to a very good offense on their home field in their debut of their new digs.......

What I find most humorous though is that immediately TT is to blame.  If we only had Dorsey or Schneider it would all change.......Wake up!!  Dorsey never got the Chiefs to the super bowl AND he got ran out of KC because he can't run a cohesive front office.  He's a career super scout.  Schneider was saved by getting a 3rd round QB who played some quality ball, but now that Wilson is getting paid, that team is good (not great) defensively but has some HUGE problems (we don't like our OL back ups, THChawks wish they had our backups to start for them).

Anyway, take a breath.  Last night was disappointing, but it is nothing we can't come back from.

4 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Admit it.  When you heard both Bulaga AND Bak weren't playing the rational side of your mind should've said "Uh ho".  When you saw Jordy pull up lame and Daniels leave the game?  I know- injuries aren't excuses, but what GM in the league can plan for what happened to our active list last night?  Randall cannot cover Julio.  Period, end of discussion.  Thank god we don't play them again for four months.  When Daniels went out our pass rush had no push and our run defense was less than mediocre.  That was what I found most frustrating.  Giving up 140 yards rushing to a very good offense on their home field in their debut of their new digs.......

What I find most humorous though is that immediately TT is to blame.  If we only had Dorsey or Schneider it would all change.......Wake up!!  Dorsey never got the Chiefs to the super bowl AND he got ran out of KC because he can't run a cohesive front office.  He's a career super scout.  Schneider was saved by getting a 3rd round QB who played some quality ball, but now that Wilson is getting paid, that team is good (not great) defensively but has some HUGE problems (we don't like our OL back ups, THChawks wish they had our backups to start for them).

Anyway, take a breath.  Last night was disappointing, but it is nothing we can't come back from.

We can definitely come back from it but this team needs to win regular season games. We need a bye, period. Personally, I think ATL is going to be in the driver's seat all season long for No. 1, but our best bet would be to get the No. 2 seed. I don't think our team is going to be equipped for another 3-game playoff run. We need to make it easier on ourselves and get one home game before the NFCCG. Then pray like hell that someone upsets ATL before then. 

16 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

What is disappointing is the Packers too often look out coached. Why was Julio Jones running so free? Why does Sanu always look all pro against Green Bay? Why does it seem Randall and Rollins are always chasing WR's not covering WR's. Same old same old right now and not even close to Super Bowl caliber. 

And on the flip side Rodgers has to thread the needle through tight windows with DB's, LB's draped over the receiver. I can't figure it out.

Archived