2020 NFL Combine Thread

goldfishwars

10 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

The 40 yard dash was among his high school test scores. He ran a very pedestrian 4.94. 

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I was referring to his SPARQ results exiting high school. Chase Young is not the explosive athlete that everyone believes he is. That has been discussed on one draft site after another all season. Maybe the topic didn't make its way here. I assumed it had been, and was well known. If you tested everyone on the Buckeye team in those drills, Chase Young would lag at least a dozen or more. And that is being kind.

He is not doing the drills because he would bomb, and it would become a whispered topic. Chase Young knows darn well his lack of dynamic athleticism would be exposed. It would be one thing at another position. No big deal. At defensive end it is quite revealing and predictive. Heck, this site was a big part of that with Waldo.

Here is a link with the high school results: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/212159/chase-young

30 inch vertical

4.46 in the 20 yard shuttle

Those are non-competitive numbers. Unless he improved dramatically -- which was certainly possible -- it would have tagged Young to the draft, although probably not impacted the slotting. 

On other sites we have discussed all season that if Young decided to do the drills it meant he was confident of huge improvement, and if he backed out he knew those were indeed representative numbers. 

This is such a gloriously bad take and a bad hill to die on

- Did you take the time to think he was still in high school when he posted these numbers? The kid had no idea what he was doing

- You said unless he dramatically improves? Have you heard of Mickey Marotti? do your research,

- Also "Not an explosive athlete"?, is that really what you see on film? You need to explain yourself, because you are making him out to be Bjoern Werner

- This really could be as simple as him standing on his film

- I cannot wait til his pro day, but this could go down as one of the all time worst takes on this board

- Film tells me he is very explosive down low in the lower body, I'd stake my reputation that he runs at least a 4.65

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Bad for him, good for teams looking for an outstanding value at the top of the 2nd round

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Routine of the event. Sticking to a precise schedule is how a lot of these trainers have been preparing these guys for years. 

Honestly, they should change it up every year then.  Training for specific drills vs training for football is dumb.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Honestly, they should change it up every year then.  Training for specific drills vs training for football is dumb.

I agree I’m just speaking on the rituals of the trainers and their thinking. I knew a trainer (not for the combine but for upper tier athletes) who had to stick his guys to an exact routine even including training surface (grass) having to be in a certain length range 😳 some interesting guys 

4 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

It's going to be exactly like the Bowl Games. People who think they will go in the top couple rounds won't participate more and more in the coming years. The underwear olympics need to change it up. 

This might just be a one year deal depending on if the rescheduling affects anything. 

1 minute ago, NVRamsFan said:

It's going to be exactly like the Bowl Games. People who think they will go in the top couple rounds won't participate more and more in the coming years. The underwear olympics need to change it up. 

No, they don't need to change anything IMO, its as simple as some of these guys are getting bad information from their people. Some of these guy will drop in the draft and learn a hard lesson about what teams REALLY think about you.