2020 NFL Combine Thread

goldfishwars

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Then go sit and never perform because you are too afraid to fail.  Injury is one thing, not liking the drills is another.  I say again, if you need to be pre-taught that damn much to perform well in an athletic testing drill, then maybe you are not quite the athlete the drill is trying to uncover.  

Maybe it is just a luxury for elite level players to sit everything out, but tons of guys do not have that luxury.  

Elite level players have the luxury of sitting out for a reason because they earned it, plain and simple.  They have more to lose than to gain from the combine.  If NFL teams actually cared for your mindset, agents wouldn't be advising their players out :D

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Plus, all of these guys still have the luxury of performing at their pro days too if they want. I'm not buying this their schedule being thrown out thing, I think pull outs are and always be a reflection of canny agents who don't want their guy to be exposed because they know there are athletic concerns. 

I agree, sure pro days are one thing but there is something to the combine.  Being there and performing with all your competitors by position literally doing the exact same drills and work you are doing as a group.  As a competitor, I cannot understand sitting out when you are 100% healthy, last time I checked wouldn't such an event be fun and challenging?   Not something to be feared.  

Didn't Deionte Thompson not participate in the combine last year because of some injury and was a total after thought come draft time.  And he had concerns about his speed and clearly those are more than valid now, was out performed by Arizona Cardinals supplemental draft pick Jalen Thompson from Washington State who became the starter at safety for them not Deionte Thompson.  

Think back to Orlando Brown Jr, did the combine expose him athletically?  Sure, but it is what it is and the kid was a Pro bowl OT alternate this past season and has done just fine after a poor combine as a starter in the NFL.  So it is not a be all end all situation, you can play you can play.  If you are a great athlete, you are a great athlete regardless of a drill you maybe sucked at or not.  Can Delpit run well?  I have no idea, but sure helps he can sit now and DNP at the combine and practice more for the pro day and try to improve on that 40 time.   That a great thing or something?  No, and how he played with a injured ankle all season I some what question, must not have been that injured but will see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

This might just be a one year deal depending on if the rescheduling affects anything. 

I could be wrong but it seems like there are more and more guys each year. And not just injured guys but a wider variety of positions. 

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

No, they don't need to change anything IMO, its as simple as some of these guys are getting bad information from their people. Some of these guy will drop in the draft and learn a hard lesson about what teams REALLY think about you.

In the end as long as there aren't huge red flags on guys I don't know that they'll drop much. I would like to see you be right but in the end talent will just win out most always. Heck the Rams are only sending position coaches and scouts to the combine this year. With three new coordinators and a few position coaches changing they're back home working things out while position coaches get interviews done. As most all of us say around here the combine and workouts are nice but game tape wins in the end. 

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Does anyone have a good source for compiling all team/prospect meetings?

The website overall is **** but I think Walterfootball does a good job of listing them even though his favorite past time is dumping on the Rams :) . Plus the teams sites on bleacher report and usa today. 

5 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

The website overall is **** but I think Walterfootball does a good job of listing them even though his favorite past time is dumping on the Rams :) . Plus the teams sites on bleacher report and usa today. 

Website structure is bad.  He needs a revamp.

Love 90% of their content though.  Especially anything Charlie does.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I think Burrow has reached cult status where if any media member says something negative about him, that media member will be crucified by other media. Same thing with Kaepernick until recently, now it’s ok to call him for what he is, which is a fraud. But that’s for another thread entirely. 

It’s a trap!!!!

WR 40 Yard Dash Predictions:

Jerry Jeudy - 4.43

Henry Ruggs III - 4.26

Brandon Aiyuk - 4.41

Tee Higgins - 4.51

CeeDee Lamb - 4.56

KJ Hamler - 4.34

Justin Jefferson - 4.53

Laviska Shenault - 4.46

Jalen Reagor - 4.40

Tyler Johnson - 4.58

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

I completely understand agents telling their guys to sit out the testing part. As a competitor, I like seeing guys going out there and facing down the competition but I'm not going to knock those guys for wanting to protect their stock. What I do hate about all these players sitting and not doing the drills though is the missed opportunity for the list of players not invited to the combine. There should be a sub list for the players who back out of doing the drills. 

• Like 4