Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

mission27

36 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Here's some math from someone who got their BS at Johns Hopkins, PhD in biology at UCSD, and in general is an intelligent person. Open the tweet to see the whole thread.

Thanks for posting that link, she did a nice job laying it all out

"This is how exponential growth in an immunologically naïve population works." 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

This whole thing has reminded me of a question I always pondered... Why do people seem to genuinely enjoy panicking?

Seriously, whenever something is predicted incoming like a major snowstorm, a virus like Coronavirus or even h1n1, or even a complete b/s "concern" like y2k. You give people even the slightest hint something could go wrong in the world and the panic starts, people rush stores to stock up on just about everything... Most of which doesn't even make sense in the context of whatever may go wrong...I just don't get it.

I get that Covid is worse than the flu...But it's not the second coming of the black death or even Spanish flu...

What I particularly don't understand is why EVERYONE panics...I could understand being worried if your 70 years old or if you have asthma or something that puts you at high risk but why the hell are perfectly healthy, relatively young people panicking as well? Between the ages of 10 and 39 we're talking about a 0.2% mortality rate which is a whopping .1 percent higher than seasonal flu.

Like I said I get it in the case of the elderly and completely understand they want to be careful but if you're under 40 and have no preexisting medical conditions there is no excuse for the fearmongering... Even if you get it chances are you'll never need to see a doctor and will quite frankly probably just think you had the flu.

I'm pretty sure it sets off the same endorphins or whatever it's called when someone is the victim of something. For some reason people love to be the the hypothetical victim of something and this is no different. 

5 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I'm pretty sure it sets off the same endorphins or whatever it's called when someone is the victim of something. For some reason people love to be the the hypothetical victim of something and this is no different. 

this is true. same with conspiracy theorists too.

lady at work is like this, she believes every conspiracy theory under the sun because she can be the victim somehow in every story she tells.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Here's some math from someone who got their BS at Johns Hopkins, PhD in biology at UCSD, and in general is an intelligent person. Open the tweet to see the whole thread.

This is actually a phenomenal read. It makes me think less about the actual virus, but the cascading effect from a pandemic in general - resources used here will impact resources that can be used elsewhere, medical resources are finite in nature. 

Sure, Coronavirus might not kill me - but if I were to get something more terminal, my chances of getting quality care go drastically down because everyone is focused on the pandemic. 

This one read has me more interested in the most recent developments.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dome said:

this is true. same with conspiracy theorists too.

lady at work is like this, she believes every conspiracy theory under the sun because she can be the victim somehow in every story she tells.

I used to have leukemia and I apply it to every scenario in my life 

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

This is actually a phenomenal read. It makes me think less about the actual virus, but the cascading effect from a pandemic in general - resources used here will impact resources that can be used elsewhere, medical resources are finite in nature. 

Sure, Coronavirus might not kill me - but if I were to get something more terminal, my chances of getting quality care go drastically down because everyone is focused on the pandemic. 

This one read has me more interested in the most recent developments.

It is a great read, but also extremely misleading if someone can't take context with it.  Yes this has the chance to infect/impact hundreds of millions.  It also has a chance to stop dead at 300,000...literally no one knows.  Being prepared and informed are one thing...stats on how thing thing is going to crush the health care system by May because someone who loves numbers says it might is not really helpful for the general public.  

It is stuff like this that causes people to hoard medical masks, sanitizes, etc. which then take away from the people who actually need them. 

Information is grated, but over information is very bad. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

It is a great read, but also extremely misleading if someone can't take context with it.  Yes this has the chance to infect/impact hundreds of millions.  It also has a chance to stop dead at 300,000...literally no one knows.  Being prepared and informed are one thing...stats on how thing thing is going to crush the health care system by May because someone who loves numbers says it might is not really helpful for the general public.  

It is stuff like this that causes people to hoard medical masks, sanitizes, etc. which then take away from the people who actually need them. 

Information is grated, but over information is very bad. 

It also seems to assume that the virus will continue to grow exponentially indefinitely. These things tend to have a bell curve. See Asia. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

It also seems to assume that the virus will continue to grow exponentially indefinitely. These things tend to have a bell curve. See Asia. 

No, it assumes that the number of infections would go up exponentially until the population becomes no longer naive to the virus. That is not indefinitely.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No, it assumes that the number of infections would go up exponentially until the population becomes no longer naive to the virus. That is not indefinitely.

Perhaps I stopped reading it too early