Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

mission27

5 hours ago, brushmyhair said:

My main concern has to do with myself going to Vegas as I am attending the draft in Vegas. I already got plane tickets so if the event was canceled, I'd be furious 

I am planning on going also so I'm keeping a good eye on this. Wife wants to go to LA a few days before and drive there. I don't think that's going to happen though. We haven't bought plane tickets yet and I can cancel our hotel reservation up to 3 days prior for $0 so if it really does postpone/cancel public access, at least I won't be out any money just yet. I just hope things get righted beforehand b/c I'm really looking forward to this event.

47 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Jack Daniels works even better

It actually comes up short, just like the post from ramssuperbowl99 talking about how Tito's isn't "strong enough" either.
Heimdallr nailed it with the 151, gotta be at least 60% alcohol ( 120 proof) to do the disinfecting deed.

"Per the CDC, hand sanitizer needs to contain at least 60% alcohol," the company said in a tweet.
"Tito's Handmade Vodka is 40% alcohol, and therefore does not meet the current recommendation of the CDC."

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

It actually comes up short, just like the post from ramssuperbowl99 talking about how Tito's isn't "strong enough" either.
Heimdallr nailed it with the 151, gotta be at least 60% alcohol ( 120 proof) to do the disinfecting deed.

"Per the CDC, hand sanitizer needs to contain at least 60% alcohol," the company said in a tweet.
"Tito's Handmade Vodka is 40% alcohol, and therefore does not meet the current recommendation of the CDC."

Can I... Can I still drink?

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The CDC has never once recommended healthy adults experience life sober.

They tried to kill the group in Season 1 of The Walking Dead. Back when Shane was still in the group...

56 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

So you’re basically saying I need to drink more.  I can buy that

• Like 2

This whole thing has reminded me of a question I always pondered... Why do people seem to genuinely enjoy panicking?

Seriously, whenever something is predicted incoming like a major snowstorm, a virus like Coronavirus or even h1n1, or even a complete b/s "concern" like y2k. You give people even the slightest hint something could go wrong in the world and the panic starts, people rush stores to stock up on just about everything... Most of which doesn't even make sense in the context of whatever may go wrong...I just don't get it.

I get that Covid is worse than the flu...But it's not the second coming of the black death or even Spanish flu...

What I particularly don't understand is why EVERYONE panics...I could understand being worried if your 70 years old or if you have asthma or something that puts you at high risk but why the hell are perfectly healthy, relatively young people panicking as well? Between the ages of 10 and 39 we're talking about a 0.2% mortality rate which is a whopping .1 percent higher than seasonal flu.

Like I said I get it in the case of the elderly and completely understand they want to be careful but if you're under 40 and have no preexisting medical conditions there is no excuse for the fearmongering... Even if you get it chances are you'll never need to see a doctor and will quite frankly probably just think you had the flu.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Like I said I get it in the case of the elderly and completely understand they want to be careful but if you're under 40 and have no preexisting medical conditions there is no excuse for the fearmongering... Even if you get it chances are you'll never need to see a doctor and will quite frankly probably just think you had the flu.

I'm under 40, in good health, and am posting in this thread, so I guess I'm your target demographic. I haven't run to the store to clear it out of TP, but I'm paying attention for a few reasons:

1. I'm an adult and that means I have to pay attention to stuff I don't like (see: politics)
  2. This has a large impact on people who are not me, so I care even though I'm not affected.
  3. This has impact on me for things like work travel (a conference I was planning on attending was cancelled today).
  4. It's something to talk about for mundane conversation besides the weather.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

I get that Covid is worse than the flu...But it's not the second coming of the black death or even Spanish flu...

What I particularly don't understand is why EVERYONE panics...I could understand being worried if your 70 years old or if you have asthma or something that puts you at high risk but why the hell are perfectly healthy, relatively young people panicking as well? Between the ages of 10 and 39 we're talking about a 0.2% mortality rate which is a whopping .1 percent higher than seasonal flu.

Currently, the R0 for the virus is estimated to be between 2.2 and 3.9. It's really tough to say for sure when numbers in the US are way under-reported due to under-testing (or not testing at all). Plus, who knows how honest China or other countries have been through this (probably not very). But since you brought it up, the Spanish Flu had an R0 of 2.0 to 3.0. The case-fatality ratio for the Spanish Flu was estimated to be 2-3% by the WHO. Today there are over 7 billion people, which would be roughly 2 billion people infected and millions dead.

I fall under that .2% mortality rate. If I get it, I will more than likely be just fine. But more importantly, my parents are both over 60 with health issues.  If I get it and then pass it to them, they likely aren't. With my moms health issues, I can almost guarantee she wouldn't survive it. Without thinking selfishly, what about people I interact with daily at work, shopping, etc? Do I want to potentially infect others? No. It isn't about panicking, it's more trying to be proactive rather than reactive. Without getting political, look at how every other country is handling this. South Korea has drive-through testing and Italy is quarantining 16+ million to be proactive and get ahead and try to stop the spread. The US is instead putting their head in the sand and telling people to go about their business and continue like nothing is wrong in hopes of keeping the economy afloat. Again, it isn't about panicking, it's about being informed and proactive.

Here's some math from someone who got their BS at Johns Hopkins, PhD in biology at UCSD, and in general is an intelligent person. Open the tweet to see the whole thread.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rob_shadows said:

This whole thing has reminded me of a question I always pondered... Why do people seem to genuinely enjoy panicking?

Seriously, whenever something is predicted incoming like a major snowstorm, a virus like Coronavirus or even h1n1, or even a complete b/s "concern" like y2k. You give people even the slightest hint something could go wrong in the world and the panic starts, people rush stores to stock up on just about everything... Most of which doesn't even make sense in the context of whatever may go wrong...I just don't get it.

Honestly, I’m more worried about a government quarantine. That’s something I have ZERO control over if that happens.