2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

34 minutes ago, TheChad said:

I'm sure Belichick's master plan will come out later, and they'll win 13 games this year, and I'll look stupid. But... how in the hell did the Pats not sign Dalton?

Unless they're legitimately going for Trevor Lawrence, it just doesn't make sense to me how they've completely ignored their gaping QB hole.

Their tank is strong. They’re gonna lose every game by 1 point. Bill understands it is for the greater good. 

Just a few of my thoughts,

1. Clowney is more of a guy that plays way better in the field than the stat box says. He makes the QB throw the ball away a lot. He also can stop the run. So you have a guy that has rare ability to run the passer and stop the run that is still in his mid 20's. Ya you sign a guy like this in my book. 

2. BB is not going to tank. You guys are crazy to think he will tank for anyone and that includes Trevor L. He likes what he has now and will roll with it. I don't think BB has that many years left in him. You can already tell that people are getting old of his way. The FA are not going there to be underpaid and win. BB window is getting a lot smaller and he will not throw away a season for a CHANCE to get the #1 pick. How many times have teams tried to do this and failed. I can think of 6 teams and only 1 did it and that was the Colts for Luck. I also would like to point out that when BB had Matt C. as his QB Matt had one of the best teams in Pats history around him and ended up missing the playoffs. Matt did not play that well. He was told to take no risk and make only of sure throws that is it. They won with D and running game. You will see that this year with the run game and D. I predict that the Pats miss the playoffs this year and make it next year then BB leaves the team. Then reality sets in for Pat fans.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Yeah, I'm still worried about BB in New England. He doesn't need to tank to find a QB he can develop. I can never count them out because of BB.

I feel the same way, but man the roster just isn't good. 

Dante Scarnecchia retiring is also a HUGE blow that seems to have gone under the radar... I put a sizable bet on us finishing with a better record and I'm cautiously optimistic that for once I won't lose money on the Jets.  Unfortunately, I've lost enough money where I should know better.  

• Like 1

Pats will still have a winning record. The defense is exceptional as is the coaching and staff. However this does narrow the margin between them and the rest of the division.  The schedule is going to be brutal for the AFC East this year, especially the teams that actually made the playoffs. Look for 10 wins to win this division. Also there is not a single person in the NFL with more pride than Bill Belichick. If anything, I think that guy will be more motivated than ever to work hard to win with a young QB. Pats are still a playoff team and still likely to win the division.

Just now, ekill08x said:

Pats will still have a winning record. The defense is exceptional as is the coaching and staff. However this does narrow the margin between them and the rest of the division.  The schedule is going to be brutal for the AFC East this year, especially the teams that actually made the playoffs. Look for 10 wins to win this division. Also there is not a single person in the NFL with more pride than Bill Belichick. If anything, I think that guy will be more motivated than ever to work hard to win with a young QB. Pats are still a playoff team and still likely to win the division.

The defense really isn't exceptional outside of the secondary, not to mention they've done nothing to replace Collins and Kyle Van Noy. If I remember correctly, they looked ungodly taking advantage of poor QB play early and then regressed against adequate competition - No slight intended, great defense but far from the 85' Bears and they got worse on paper. They also lost a key coach in Scarnecchia, the greatest OL coach of all time. On offense, they're relying on a 33yr old slot receiver to support a completely unproven commodity in Stidham.

If they finish with a winning record, that's the ultimate testament to Belichick.

2 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

The defense really isn't exceptional outside of the secondary, not to mention they've done nothing to replace Collins and Kyle Van Noy. If I remember correctly, they looked ungodly taking advantage of poor QB play early and then regressed against adequate competition - No slight intended, great defense but far from the 85' Bears and they got worse on paper. They also lost a key coach in Scarnecchia, the greatest OL coach of all time. On offense, they're relying on a 33yr old slot receiver to support a completely unproven commodity in Stidham.

If they finish with a winning record, that's the ultimate testament to Belichick.

I mean their defense finished #1 in DVOA by a 6% margin. That is pretty damn great. I dont really care what they look like on paper or positional groups. They never replace their departing free agents and yet every year we have this discussion about them not being good and they constantly have the next man up. I want to believe this is the year they struggle but I just cant see it. Not with their HC. I still say they win 10 games. Would LOVE to be wrong though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

I mean their defense finished #1 in DVOA by a 6% margin. That is pretty damn great. I dont really care what they look like on paper or positional groups. They never replace their departing free agents and yet every year we have this discussion about them not being good and they constantly have the next man up. I want to believe this is the year they struggle but I just cant see it. Not with their HC. I still say they win 10 games. Would LOVE to be wrong though.

The game is not played in a vacuum. The offense with Brady helped the D a lot by scoring and having long drives. Let’s see the Pats D thrive when the O goes three and out half the time. That said, I still will not count out anything with Belichick. He may have to cheat more than normal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Dante Scarnecchia retiring is also a HUGE blow that seems to have gone under the radar... I put a sizable bet on us finishing with a better record and I'm cautiously optimistic that for once I won't lose money on the Jets.  Unfortunately, I've lost enough money where I should know better.  

Oh wow that was under the radar. I hadn't heard that Scarnecchia retired again. He makes a huge difference to them in my opinion.

• Like 1

BB hasn't won coach of the year since 2010. Maybe he's just decided to completely lock down that award this year.

If he gets 10 wins out of their current roster, and no other team goes 16-0, then it won't even be a contest.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

The game is not played in a vacuum. The offense with Brady helped the D a lot by scoring and having long drives. Let’s see the Pats D thrive when the O goes three and out half the time. That said, I still will not count out anything with Belichick. He may have to cheat more than normal. 

The Patriot offense was just above average last year but nowhere near dangerous. The strength of that team was the defense and it had very little to do with its offense last year. I will never count that team out and until proven otherwise I expect to be swept yet again. 

3 hours ago, ekill08x said:

In regards to all of this, you're certainly not wrong.  

I'm just looking at the roster + the loss of Brady, Scarnecchia and others... The odds are really stacked against them unlike years past. I'm not naive enough to write Belichick off just yet, but wining 10 games would be nothing short of incredible.

3 hours ago, NJC33 said:

For me, Tom has always been a great QB in a better system.  BB's system allows his backups to look good. So many players have left the patriots offense was never heard of again afterward. So him having this much confidence to not even draft a QB, I'm scared of that. BB has lost players and coaches for years and still remained a contender every year. It just doesn't matter. 

Plus, I can't get my hopes up when it comes to us beating teams we're supposed to beat. We gave up wins to two winless teams last season. 

Just now, NJC33 said:

In regards to all of this, you're certainly not wrong.  

I'm just looking at the roster + the loss of Brady, Scarnecchia and others... The odds are really stacked against them unlike years past. I'm not naive enough to write Belichick off just yet, but wining 10 games would be nothing short of incredible.

I know I just feel like every time they lose players and coaches we think its the end lol. One day man one day.

• Like 2