Jets 3rd overall pick from 2019 DT Quinnen Williams arrested

49erurtaza

42 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

It amazes me how many people jump on the back of a kid who just turned 22, like no one has made a stupid mistake at that age. It happens. He’s young, he’ll learn. 

What I don’t get is why he needs to carry in the first place, but that’s a discussion for another time/place. 

No I think the average person hasn't made this big of a bone headed move. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Swift21 said:

Trying to board a plane with a gun is not a honest mistake.

26 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

Just a dumb one. Whoops how did that get there!?!?!? LOL

I don’t think that’s how it went. I think he thought since it was registered (in Alabama, at least) he was legally allowed to carry it on the plane. Or else why would he try? It’s not like you can sneak past metal detectors. 

45 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

No I think the average person hasn't made this big of a bone headed move. 

It’s a bone-headed move, I’m not going to lie. And Williams doesn’t strike me as an uber-intelligent fellow. Still, mistakes happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

I don’t think that’s how it went. I think he thought since it was registered (in Alabama, at least) he was legally allowed to carry it on the plane. Or else why would he try? It’s not like you can sneak past metal detectors. 

It’s a bone-headed move, I’m not going to lie. And Williams doesn’t strike me as an uber-intelligent fellow. Still, mistakes happen.

But he should have been educated on the facts of gun laws across state lines When he got it. Otherwise he is the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Just a couple notes:

• It’s against TSA regulations (and illegal) to carry on any firearm; transporting a firearm in checked baggage is allowed.
  • Under 49 U.S.C. § 46505, he would have to be on or attempt to get on an airplane.  I wonder how specifically defined 'trying to get on an airplane' is. But that's for the lawyers.
  • Under 49 U.S.C. § 46303, he could face up to $10,000 civil fine.

Edited by Joe_is_the_best

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Was Plaxico's sentence more because the gun went off or was it just because he had the gun?  If it was just for having the gun, I wouldnt be shocked to see Williams get a similar sentence. 

Plaxico’s charges were different because his firearm was loaded and discharged. That, and the NY policy against crime at the time, make Plax’s situation very different from Q’s. 

7 hours ago, wwhickok said:

If this wasnt an NFL star no one would be talking a fine and probation. Theyd be talking major jail time.

Clearly not a NYer...

Not a Jets fan by any means but William's did not pull a TI here. The dude clearly tried to be a law abiding citizen, it was a dumb decision on his part not to put that thing in luggage locked in a secure case but I cant imagine a judge thinking there was anything sinister here. Just fine him and move on. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Swift21 said:

Trying to board a plane with a gun is not a honest mistake.

I thought he was arrested at the check in counter before you go through security. He very well could have had it in a place to be checked baggage not carry on. That is not illegal in it of itself.

Licensing and storage laws can get pretty complicated though. Wouldn't be surprised if this would almost fall into a technical type violation. Based on what I've read so far I would expect this to be a gun violation where the prosecutor has some decent latitude to determine if there was any sinister motives, which appear completely absent here, and charge/plead accordingly.

Edited by mse326
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Talk about "blown out of proportion". This isn't going to ruin his career and just an absent minded mistake. This dude was born and raised where carrying a firearm is the norm. People acting like he tried to hijack the plane.

Agree 100%, he'll get a fine and maybe something small from the NFL but the majority of people in this thread are being extremely over dramatic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scalamania said:

Agree 100%, he'll get a fine and maybe something small from the NFL but the majority of people in this thread are being extremely over dramatic. 

People on this forum are just the pinnacle of morality and ethics. Anyone who's out of line no matter how small is scourge of the earth.

• Like 2

Eh. These types of thread highlight who grew up where with how moralistic (or defensive) people get about guys. He should know better about carrying a gun to a NY airport of all places, but it's not like there aren't states where you can carry a gun at the airport.