Where will Drew Brees play next year?

Webmaster

On 9/20/2017 at 4:42 PM, Rogerthat said:

Drew Brees is being way over valued in this thread because of what he did in the past not for what he will be when he is a FA.  He will be 39 years old QB trying to learn a new system.  Teams picking in the top of the draft will take a rookie over brees  that 4 guys (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Jackson).  Cousins will be the #1 FA QB,  Jimmy G #2, Brees #3.  that is 6 guys that is going to be taken over Brees.  there might be only 5 or 6 starting QB jobs open in the NFL for next season.   at that point its a numbers game and Brees might not have a seat when the music stops.   

Its not that simple.  For teams picking near the top of the draft, sure, they'd rather take a shot on Darnold.  But if you're a QB away from potentially winning a Super Bowl there isn't going to be a better choice, or even really anyone particularly close.

Honestly, going through it team by team, there arent a ton of great options for Brees...

Cowboys - Even if Dak had a down year this year, they wouldnt give up on him.

Eagles - Wentz looks to be the future at this point.

Redskins -  Might be an option if Cousins leaves, but would Brees want to go to another team with a dysfunctional front office?  Doubt it.

Giants -   Too much money invested in Eli and other players.     If they look for a new QB, it will be via the draft.

Cardinals -  One of the most feasible options.   They could cut Palmer, sign Brees and draft a future replacement.   Brees isnt a prototypical Arians QB, but he is too good for that to matter...and Arians might be on the hotseat if the Cards arent good this year.

Rams -  Goff is looking legit.   Even if sucked the rest of the season, Rams wouldnt give up on him so soon.

49ers -  May as well stay with the Saints.    

Seahawks -  Russ isnt going anywhere.

Bears - Just drafted Tribusky and not an attractive place for Brees.

Lions -  Stafford

Packers -  Rodgers is clearly a bust, but the Packers refuse to give up on that scrub.

Vikings - Bradford is solid when healthy and I doubt theyve given up on Bridgewater either.  

Panthers - Cam

Bucs - Jameis

Buffalo  -   Not attractive for Brees....or anyone else.

Dolphins - Probably one of the better suitors....but unlikely unless they are giving up on Tannehill...which I doubt.   And if Cutler is good, they may have two options.

Pats -  Probably gonna be Brady for another few years....and even if he retired, JG would be resigned before Brees was brought in.

Jets -  Brees would retire first.

Broncos -  I suppose its an option if they dont like Simean and Lynch after 2017.    They would definitely go far with Brees.

Chiefs -  Alex Smith...and just used two first round picks for Mahomes.

Chargers -  Same as Giants.   If they go QB....via draft.

Raiders -  Carr seems like he might be decent.

Ravens -  Too much money sunk into Flacco.

Bengals -  Invested in Dalton and IMO too cheap to go after Brees.   Not totally impossible, but highly highly unlikely.

Browns -   They are rebuilding and using primarily young pieces to do so.

Steelers -  Ben will be back and we will likely draft a QB early.

Texans - Maybe the most likely....they are a QB away.   Bill OBrien is a joke of a coach, though.

Colts - Luck.

Titans - Mariota

Jags -  I see many mentioning this, and even though there are appealing aspects, I dont think Brees would want to go there to finish his career.

Honestly....Arizona, Denver and Houston seem the most appealing,   Vikings and Bengals are dark horses.   Jags and 49ers are options I guess, but I think Brees would retire or stay in NO before going to either of those places.   

11 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Honestly, going through it team by team, there arent a ton of great options for Brees...

Cowboys - Even if Dak had a down year this year, they wouldnt give up on him.

Eagles - Wentz looks to be the future at this point.

Redskins -  Might be an option if Cousins leaves, but would Brees want to go to another team with a dysfunctional front office?  Doubt it.

Giants -   Too much money invested in Eli and other players.     If they look for a new QB, it will be via the draft.

Cardinals -  One of the most feasible options.   They could cut Palmer, sign Brees and draft a future replacement.   Brees isnt a prototypical Arians QB, but he is too good for that to matter...and Arians might be on the hotseat if the Cards arent good this year.

Rams -  Goff is looking legit.   Even if sucked the rest of the season, Rams wouldnt give up on him so soon.

49ers -  May as well stay with the Saints.    

Seahawks -  Russ isnt going anywhere.

Bears - Just drafted Tribusky and not an attractive place for Brees.

Lions -  Stafford

Packers -  Rodgers is clearly a bust, but the Packers refuse to give up on that scrub.

Vikings - Bradford is solid when healthy and I doubt theyve given up on Bridgewater either.  

Panthers - Cam

Bucs - Jameis

Buffalo  -   Not attractive for Brees....or anyone else.

Dolphins - Probably one of the better suitors....but unlikely unless they are giving up on Tannehill...which I doubt.   And if Cutler is good, they may have two options.

Pats -  Probably gonna be Brady for another few years....and even if he retired, JG would be resigned before Brees was brought in.

Jets -  Brees would retire first.

Broncos -  I suppose its an option if they dont like Simean and Lynch after 2017.    They would definitely go far with Brees.

Chiefs -  Alex Smith...and just used two first round picks for Mahomes.

Chargers -  Same as Giants.   If they go QB....via draft.

Raiders -  Carr seems like he might be decent.

Ravens -  Too much money sunk into Flacco.

Bengals -  Invested in Dalton and IMO too cheap to go after Brees.   Not totally impossible, but highly highly unlikely.

Browns -   They are rebuilding and using primarily young pieces to do so.

Steelers -  Ben will be back and we will likely draft a QB early.

Texans - Maybe the most likely....they are a QB away.   Bill OBrien is a joke of a coach, though.

Colts - Luck.

Titans - Mariota

Jags -  I see many mentioning this, and even though there are appealing aspects, I dont think Brees would want to go there to finish his career.

Honestly....Arizona, Denver and Houston seem the most appealing,   Vikings and Bengals are dark horses.   Jags and 49ers are options I guess, but I think Brees would retire or stay in NO before going to either of those places.   

Great list.  I completely agree with this that there are only going to be 1 or 2 options for his to find a landing spot.  I would even take Houston off that list.  They spent two much on Watson and if you bring Brees in you stunt or destroy Watson's growth.  for me its either Arizona or Denver.  Vikings will stick with bridgewater and I can see josh and jimmy G going to the Bengals.  Jags will draft and 49ers are either getting cousins or draft.       

Yea, I will say Brees arm strength has not really shown any decline.  For a while there in 2014 it looked like it might, but turns out it was maybe a minor injury he was playing through.

But he's already destroyed his throwing shoulder once, how many years will that take off  the end of his career(if any)?  

Archived