Where will Drew Brees play next year?

Webmaster

8 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

What about the possibility of him simply walking away from the game.  He's "got his money."  Maybe he decides to simply leave the game, rather than looking for greener pastures.

Definitely a possibility. It seems like he's ingrained not just with the saints, but the city of new orleans. But he's still playing at a high level, so i think quality teams will come calling, and for guys still playing at that level, its sometimes hard to let go

Drew Brees is being way over valued in this thread because of what he did in the past not for what he will be when he is a FA.  He will be 39 years old QB trying to learn a new system.  Teams picking in the top of the draft will take a rookie over brees  that 4 guys (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Jackson).  Cousins will be the #1 FA QB,  Jimmy G #2, Brees #3.  that is 6 guys that is going to be taken over Brees.  there might be only 5 or 6 starting QB jobs open in the NFL for next season.   at that point its a numbers game and Brees might not have a seat when the music stops.   

21 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

Drew Brees is being way over valued in this thread because of what he did in the past not for what he will be when he is a FA.  He will be 39 years old QB trying to learn a new system.  Teams picking in the top of the draft will take a rookie over brees  that 4 guys (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Jackson).  Cousins will be the #1 FA QB,  Jimmy G #2, Brees #3.  that is 6 guys that is going to be taken over Brees.  there might be only 5 or 6 starting QB jobs open in the NFL for next season.   at that point its a numbers game and Brees might not have a seat when the music stops.   

I think you're underestimating Brees' intelligence here. Brees' knowledge of the game is part of what has makes him so good. I don't see that changing even in a new system.

I also disagree that Brees wouldn't be a hot choice come FA. I would almost be willing to bet that he would find a new home within a week, unless he completely falls off this season..

21 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

Sure he might have to learn a system, but he's one of the most talented throwers of the football of all time. He can elevate the players around them and win in the postseason. How often does a quarterback of Brees' caliber hit the market? Almost never and Cousins and Jimmy G have never shown anything close to Brees' level.

53 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

First off, it's not what he's done in the past...he's still doing it. So there's that.

Also, I'm not sure if you're talking in general here, or with the Vikings. Because I've been talking specifically about the Vikings. They won't be in a position to get one of the top 3 quarterback prospects (they may be able to nab Allen, but he's not ready to play in the NFL yet). If the Vikings think that they could win the super bowl with a better quarterback (and this is unfair to Bradford, who has played just fine in his tenure there), then none of those guys offers a better chance to do that in the immediate future (IE, next year) based on what they have done in the past and what they are currently doing than Brees. You claim he has to learn a new system - So would Jimmy G and Cousins, so that doesn't hold water in comparison (again, I am talking about the Vikings). Teddy B is far too much of an unknown if you really are pushing your chips in for a super bowl run. Bradford is fine, but he hasn't been Brees.

There's no way if Brees continues playing as he has so far that somebody doesn't give him a 1-2 year deal. Do you think that somebody wouldn't sign Brady if he were available? Because from a pure passing standpoint, they are still playing at a comparable level. There are a lot of teams who may feel like they are immediate super bowl contenders for the next year or two with Brees at the helm. Minnesota could be one of them. That defense is good, the weapons are solid. The o-line needs help, but they can add pieces. Arizona is another one. They can draft a guy and groom him behind Brees as the best possible stop gap you can get. What about Miami? Tannehill is done for the year, Cutler is Cutler and on a one year deal. They are a solid team with Tannehill...could be very good with Brees, and Tannehill is cuttable next year. What about the Giants? Eli is on his last legs, Brees would be an upgrade there, and Eli is cuttable next year (strong dead money hit, but 10 million in cap savings). Cincy could move off Dalton based on his current play. There's no way that Brees "doesn't have a seat" when the music stops if he wants to keep playing. I agree that for some teams, namely a team like the Jets, 49ers, Browns (maybe, Kizer dependent) and some others that a rookie or a guy like Cousins or Jimmy G would make more sense given the long term rebuild and length of time they have left to play. But for a team willing to push their chips into the middle and go for broke immediately, Brees is the best option.

I hate to see him go, but we're garbage, and it's for the best.  We'll always be in "win now" mode with him here, and our coaches have proven incapable of winning now.  He may as well go try to get a ring somewhere else, and let us burn it to the ground. 

The only way I see him staying, is if we somehow magically make the playoffs this year.  It won't happen, but if it does, I could see Payton/Brees back next year.  Which would absolutely kill some of our posters.  I myself wouldn't mind though.

19 hours ago, Forge said:

First off, it's not what he's done in the past...he's still doing it. So there's that.

Also, I'm not sure if you're talking in general here, or with the Vikings. Because I've been talking specifically about the Vikings....  for a team willing to push their chips into the middle and go for broke immediately, Brees is the best option.

Makes a lot of sense.

IF the vikes were smart, they'd have to give serious consideration to bringing in Drew Brees and Sean Payton. Payton as the OC, Zimmer can be HC and handle the defense. Shurmer / Bradford replaced by Payton/Brees

Brees will want a dome or warm weather, so that fits too. Just need to invest in the OL and that would be a formidable squad in 2018. Neither Bradford nor Bridgewater can take them where they want to go and its really, really hard to keep and pay 12-15 guys on a top defense. The time is now

Archived