Bears to trade 4th Round Pick to Jaguars for Nick Foles

RJ_11

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I think he was less valuable than we paid. Who else was lining up for him and that contract?

I have no idea. Are you saying you do?

58 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The truth is that Pace is likely fired.

He has put his career in the hands of either Mitch or Foles, I don’t see either of those ending well. Especially with no tangible talent upgrades to the offense.

Pace needs Foles or Trubisky to take a step next season or this QB thing will be ugly.

That could very well be. Do you think Mariotta or Keenum (two other options you've put forth in your posting) would have actually been better than Foles?

Edited by Heinz D.

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Gordon. But that would be seen as supplanting Mitch, which they don't want to do. Oh, and that "impact" would be delayed, as Gordon isn't ready. 

Call me stubborn but IMHO no 4th round rookie QB would be more well prepared to both push Mitch and assume command if Mitch fails than Nick Foles.  Nagy's offense is not one that can be learned in one summer by a rookie.  In fact Mitch hasn't been able to learn it in two summers and two whole seasons.  So I'll just say that no draftee was gonna walk in and be the threat to Mitch's #1 spot that Foles is.

Foles was not my first choice but of those we had any possibility of landing he was in the top three.  We could do far worse.  And there's nothing to preclude Pace from spending a draft pick on a QB in 2020 and another in 2021 if needs dictate.  We need to realize we're "this close" to having to remake the entire QB position.  This is a last hope and a prayer or we're back to square one again.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

1. This signing isn't going to blow anyone out of the water.

2. I much prefer going into next year with Trubs and Foles than last year with Daniels and Trubs.

3. This was BY FAR the cheapest low risk high reward QB available.

4. None of us were going to be happy with any of the QB's available.

5. Cam is expensive and broken.

6. Teddy B is not worth the money he just got paid. 

7. Winston? Might as well just roll with Trubs. He would have performed better in that O with Godwin and Evans.

8. Dalton? Yeeeeeeeeeeech. Big time choker who has put up mediocre stats even when he had Eifert, AJ, Sanu, and a good run game.  He is not nor would be worth the increased money, and trade capital it would have cost to acquire him

9. 4th round pick? Who freaking cares. The chances of a 4th round player even being on the roster in 3 years is something like 10%. Gimme a break.

10. Thank the football Gods we will never have to see Chase Daniels in a Bears uniform again.

11. The defense is going to be much improved from last year. Quinn is a gigantic upgrade from Floyd and hopefully we will have a  healthy Hicks and Trevathan.

12. We do not need a superstar QB. Just run of the mill average QB play. Let's hope one of Mitch or Foles can provide that.

• Like 1

I still don't like the trade but I feel a little bit better about it now that the details of the contract came out and how it was constructed.

In 2020, Foles will cost the Bears $15,587,500. 
In 2021, Foles will cost the Bears $25,625,000. But 5M of this is part of his guaranteed money turned into a roster bonus -- which are given to players who are still on the roster 5 days after the new season officially begins.

Therefore, the Bears can release Foles BEFORE this date and save $20,625,000 in cap space next season. 

One way to look at this is, we are paying 15.6M this year for a player who could potentially end up only really costing us $5,037,500‬ million in the event that he sucks. 

Chase Daniel has cost the Bears 4 and 6M in each of the last 2 seasons. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

KC? He played what 2 games? Outside the one off super bowl season, he's a pretty known commodity at this stage. 

I get your point though. Need someone to push Mitch.

The interesting thing is, Teddy passed because his camp felt it wasn't going to be an open competition so much as fallback if Mitch doesn't improve. So are we sure Foles starts? 

Look at his record in Philly and KC under many of the same coaches and his playoff record.

He may be no better than a #2 QB but he's about the best you'd find and he met the criteria that Pace and Nagy set way back in Jan.  For whatever reason a whole lot of people here think somehow they were gonna change their minds.  They didn't.  Not even with Bridgewater.  I've been reminding people of this for over 2 months and if hasn't sunk in yet phuc it.

People can whine 'til next Christmas if they like but it won't change a thing.  Either Mitch succeeds or Foles takes over so let the chips fall where they may.  Will whining and bitching about it make it better?  So either support it or become a Cheesehead.  IDGAF.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

One way to look at this is, we are paying 15.6M this year for a player who could potentially end up only really costing us $5,037,500‬ million in the event that he sucks. 

Wait... what?

Just now, G08 said:

Wait... what?

7 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I still don't like the trade but I feel a little bit better about it now that the details of the contract came out and how it was constructed.

In 2020, Foles will cost the Bears $15,587,500. 
In 2021, Foles will cost the Bears $25,625,000. But 5M of this is part of his guaranteed money turned into a roster bonus -- which are given to players who are still on the roster 5 days after the new season officially begins.

Therefore, the Bears can release Foles BEFORE this date and save $20,625,000 in cap space next season. 

Chase Daniel has cost the Bears 4 and 6M in each of the last 2 seasons. 

5 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

Ok my horror about this move has been well documented earlier in the thread, but I can't go in to the season being so negative about our QB, so let's see what we've got. 

The arguments about Foles knowing the offense I understand and that is a positive, especially with coronavirus possibly ruining all OTAs and pushing back other off-season stuff. The deal itself I hate, and I still don't get the contract restructuring. But... if he gets us to the playoffs, what the hell is a 4th round pick?

So just watched Foles in week 11 last season at Indy. He has a really nice first quarter including a great TD drive, makes correct reads, distributes the ball well with good placement, executes RPOs properly. But after the scoring drive his play falls off a cliff, he starts to stare down Chark and just chuck it up to him when double-covered, he throws a TERRIBLE pick and should have been picked off twice before that. He plays better by the end of the game but it's in garbage time (Jax were 31-7 down in the 4th quarter).

His pocket presence struck me as much better than Mitch's, he makes slight adjustments to re-position himself for the throw, and gets the ball out fast and often to the correct read if he has a defender right in his face (whereas Mitch has that headless chicken approach when the pressure gets there).

I'm going to watch his next two starts when I'm "working" from home tomorrow, have to find the positives in this. So far, pocket presence and decision making under pressure are the big advantages over Mitch, but if we get the Foles that I just saw in the 2nd quarter of that game then that's not an upgrade.

Now.....if only the rest would develop this same point of view we might settle down around here and begin to focus on the positives instead of what people perceive as negatives before even one down of 2020 football has been played.  There's gonna be plenty of time for bitching this fall if none of this works so save your anger for then.

11 minutes ago, soulman said:

Now.....if only the rest would develop this same point of view we might settle down around here and begin to focus on the positives instead of what people perceive as negatives before even one down of 2020 football has been played.  There's gonna be plenty of time for bitching this fall if none of this works so save your anger for then.

There's nothing wrong with people showing their anger towards something they dislike just because you may not like it or agree it. Telling people they should smell the roses all the time is not the way to go about it either. 

This is sports. We are fans. Fans complain all the time. This is not a new thing. We are not going to agree with everything....that's just how it has always been and how it will always be. Now, are there limits to this (which is different from one person to another) yes (*ahem--i'll leave out names*) but that's what the ignore is for.

This is nothing personnel soulman, I like you. I really do. Your seem level headed and come across as a good man. But you can't expect everyone to share your same views and outlook. If that were the case and everyone on this forum agreed on everything then it would be pretty boring. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan