Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Two school districts in Virginia have let parents decide if their child will attend virtually or in-person.  This actually sounds manageable, at least from the perspective of the building.  Not sure how the teachers feel about it- https://www.wtvr.com/news/back-to-school/these-2-virginia-school-districts-let-parents-pick-virtual-or-in-person-learning?fbclid=IwAR0b_saKVbFPYOWjXPFprkiqHgrRPnlsuESQj38QRqzQX-9Elkyg2W4fNbw

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Two school districts in Virginia have let parents decide if their child will attend virtually or in-person.  This actually sounds manageable, at least from the perspective of the building.  Not sure how the teachers feel about it- https://www.wtvr.com/news/back-to-school/these-2-virginia-school-districts-let-parents-pick-virtual-or-in-person-learning?fbclid=IwAR0b_saKVbFPYOWjXPFprkiqHgrRPnlsuESQj38QRqzQX-9Elkyg2W4fNbw

Our district did the exact same thing here in Ohio, and I will say that it really depends. I know that @LETSGOBROWNIES district's handling of it and mine are vastly different, despite our relatively close proximity. 

As a teacher, I have mixed emotions about it. I understand the reality of the times we are living in, while simultaneously acknowledging the laws of unintended consequences from an academic, social, and achievement gap point of view, depending on the ability of parents to devote that time into holding their kids accountable...as well as things like IEP, 504, free and reduced lunch, etc. It's a really complex issue.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Our district did the exact same thing here in Ohio, and I will say that it really depends. I know that @LETSGOBROWNIES district's handling of it and mine are vastly different, despite our relatively close proximity. 

As a teacher, I have mixed emotions about it. I understand the reality of the times we are living in, while simultaneously acknowledging the laws of unintended consequences from an academic, social, and achievement gap point of view, depending on the ability of parents to devote that time into holding their kids accountable...as well as things like IEP, 504, free and reduced lunch, etc. It's a really complex issue.

Yeah man, our “virtual learning” is closer to homeschooling than anything.  They’ve gotten better with support each week, but it’s still not what I envisioned and what other districts are doing.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah man, our “virtual learning” is closer to homeschooling than anything.  They’ve gotten better with support each week, but it’s still not what I envisioned and what other districts are doing.

Never underestimate the ability of online educational platforms to hard sell a piece of software to a district, get a nice chunk of change ($240 per student times 2,000 students K-12 here), and that software to underwhelm, all in a time of unprecedented crisis. 

A teacher buddy of mine got in on the investment side of a few of these companies back in March, and will probably sell right around Thanksgiving, turning a nice profit.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 2:58 PM, MookieMonstah said:

I will say, I do appreciate the mods allowing this to stay open. It’s an important topic for discussion. 

We hate each and every one of you, with the force of 10,000 suns.

(Not ALL of you. Some of you).

• Like 3