Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

I thought I read that J&J was going to be available at local pharmacies to speed up the process. Anyone know if that materialized or if there's a specific way to get in line for that one? My wife is being picky bc it's only one jab lol. I bet a lot feel this way though

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's wildly pessimistic.

According to our Nursing Director here at my hospital in NY- we should have 80% of our (local) population vaccinated by late June, so I'd say, even if demand is 100% throughout the entire adult population (which it won't be), that we should be opening it up to the entire adult population by early May at the latest. If demand begins to wane, which it will, then it will be even earlier than that. If we get quicker at administering shots, which we will, then it will be earlier than that.

I'm expecting some time in April. Keep in mind, a couple of months ago- my county health director was saying we wouldn't have every adult who wants a vaccine vaccinated until the fall, so things just continue to get more and more optimistic on the vaccine front.

As of 3/8, We're at 21.5% of the total population having rcvd at least one shot in my county. Probably closer to 23% today. Last I checked, We're doing about a half of a percent of the population per day rcving their first dose. The last day of April is about 50 days away, so even if we don't improve on administering shots- we'd be approaching 50% of the entire population having rcvd at least one shot as we enter May. I cannot see a scenario (outside of something off the wall happening) where the vaccines are not opened up to everyone by early May at the latest. 

That's for my county, though, perhaps the rollouts are different elsewhere. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I thought I read that J&J was going to be available at local pharmacies to speed up the process. Anyone know if that materialized or if there's a specific way to get in line for that one? My wife is being picky bc it's only one jab lol. I bet a lot feel this way though

It depends where you live. Some places allow you to choose while others don’t.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

According to our Nursing Director here at my hospital in NY- we should have 80% of our (local) population vaccinated by late June, so I'd say, even if demand is 100% throughout the entire adult population (which it won't be), that we should be opening it up to the entire adult population by early May at the latest. If demand begins to wane, which it will, then it will be even earlier than that. If we get quicker at administering shots, which we will, then it will be earlier than that.

I'm expecting some time in April. Keep in mind, a couple of months ago- my county health director was saying we wouldn't have every adult who wants a vaccine vaccinated until the fall, so things just continue to get more and more optimistic on the vaccine front.

As of 3/8, We're at 21.5% of the total population having rcvd at least one shot in my county. Probably closer to 23% today. Last I checked, We're doing about a half of a percent of the population per day rcving their first dose. The last day of April is about 50 days away, so even if we don't improve on administering shots- we'd be approaching 50% of the entire population having rcvd at least one shot as we enter May. I cannot see a scenario (outside of something off the wall happening) where the vaccines are not opened up to everyone by early May at the latest. 

100% agreed with this. A while back we were throwing out guesses where things would get back to normal, and I said 15 April to 01 June. Still feel decent about that range, even though it'll be on the later side.

• Like 2

100% agreed with this. A while back we were throwing out guesses where things would get back to normal, and I said 15 April to 01 June. Still feel decent about that range, even though it'll be on the later side.

I'm hopeful for the summer to be relatively normal. The only concern for me is the variants cycling around. That being said, the vaccines the US has invested the most into seem to still be very effective against the most concerning variants and, at the very least, prevent death and a majority of hospitalizations. We just need to hope people get vaccinated!

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

I just reread my nursing director's email- and apparently their projection wasn't even counting J&J's vaccine. They were going based off the current rate with Pfizer and Moderna. We're going to curb stomp this little bastard in the coming months. *Finger crossed* no crazy mutations ruin the positive momentum we have!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

The only concern for me is the variants cycling around. That being said, the vaccines the US has invested the most into seem to still be very effective against the most concerning variants and, at the very least, prevent death and a majority of hospitalizations. We just need to hope people get vaccinated!

The current vaccines are effective vs all of the current variants- however - the longer this goes on the greater the chance that some variants might evade these vaccines and we'll have to modify. That's why its important to get everyone vaccinated as soon as possible. All of the current vaccines do a spectacular job of preventing visits to the hospital or the morgue and that's what really matters.

Get vaccinated !

Also, Dr. B has an app that allows you to sign up for any leftovers- so if you're eager to get in line- put your name on the list and they'll notify you of any last minute openings

https://hidrb.com/

Standby list

• Like 4

5 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

It really should be imminent. The state of Wisconsin got a dashboard going recently, which has demographic data by age:

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/vaccine-data.htm#residents

63.4% of 65+ have gotten one dose, 33.4% have gotten both doses. Wisconsin's statewide rate (19.1%) is pretty similar to the US rate (18.4%), so yeah we're probably in the 60ish% range for seniors nationwide. And since we have a gap of 30% over the 3 weeks between doses, that means we're dosing~10% of the population each week. Vaccine compliance is like 70%, so yeah we're basically done.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The current vaccines are effective vs all of the current variants- however - the longer this goes on the greater the chance that some variants might evade these vaccines and we'll have to modify. That's why its important to get everyone vaccinated as soon as possible. All of the current vaccines do a spectacular job of preventing visits to the hospital or the morgue and that's what really matters.

Get vaccinated !

Also, Dr. B has an app that allows you to sign up for any leftovers- so if you're eager to get in line- put your name on the list and they'll notify you of any last minute openings

https://hidrb.com/

Standby list

Thanks for the app info. Just texted it to my wife.