Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Twitter was never a good idea.  It's terrible for any sort of discourse whatsoever. 

When it comes to anything controversial - from politics to religion to pandemics - points and counterpoints should not be restricted to 140 characters or less. 

It's also dumbing people down and encouraging bad grammar.  I said this when I first heard of Twitter and I've believed it every step of the way.  Twitter is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea in theory and in practice.

On top of all that, it doesn't make any sense.  I like to think I can pick things up easily, but not Twitter.  With Twitter, the layout and design makes no damn sense at all.  Sometimes the first thing said is at the bottom, other times it's at the top, you can't tell who said what it's like jumping into a tangible dream. 

I hate Twitter.  I have always hated Twitter.  I will always hate Twitter. 

If I was the developer type or had somebody I knew that was the developer type, I would develop a social networking site catered to and marketed towards those with the capacity for prose.  It would have a MINIMUM of 500 characters per post, people who don't know the difference between there, their, they're get three strikes and then they're banned for a week.  People who use RU (instead of are you), y (instead of why) and can't even burn the extra Goddamn 8th of a calorie to type out THANKS instead of THX get permabanned and publicly shamed and humiliated.

HOW GODDAMN HARD IS IT YOU ARE SAVING THREE ****ING LETTERS CAN YOU NOT SPELL THANKS? 

Ain't would be allowed as long as they use an apostrophe. 

49f7469e2062e9febf8693e04b318e9d 

Edgy, original take my guy.

i feel like twitter limited characters for the sole purpose of trying to reduce bloviating nonsense like this.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 2

On 7/8/2020 at 2:16 PM, Leader said:

Back in the lead up to the "opening things up" era - two months ago? - I was chatting with another who was bemoaning the effects the shutdown was having on small businesses (not hers mind you....) and how it was impinging on her lifestyle. Understood. Got it all and made no argument that closing things down wasnt a hardship. Clearly it was and many people/businesses were suffering. Negative if not dire consequences. Got it - but - at that juncture of the treatment curve there were few (in any) alternatives. 

There was a germ out there that was still pretty much an unknown. There was no pill. No shot. No understanding about all the ramifications of this germ getting inside you - so shut it down.

I told her - opening things up....fine....BUT....we cant return to the days of January 2020 with packed bars, restaurants et al. There needed to be some sort of hybrid approach. That didnt go over well with my chat partner. End of discussion. Oh well.

I'll argue that age is irrelevant. An individuals urge to "go out with friends and meet people" is a straight line. Age doesnt matter IMO. All age groups are bound by the same reality: (copy & paste....) There was a germ out there that was still pretty much an unknown.

It got inside you and could either be an inconvenience - or mixing with whatever else you had going on inside you - put you in the ground.

It shouldnt be the individual's choice to gauge that risk simply because they're not gauging it solely for themselves. The germ might not do squat to them - but - it could put 3 of the next 10 people they meet in the hospital - and some % of those folks in the ground.

It's not the individuals choice because people can be (are) irresponsible. It's the "I want my MTV" mentality brought forward. The treatment process has evolved - good! - and outcome %'s are improving - good! - but we're *clearly* not out of the woods yet.

Whats required is a collective mindset - that we're all in this together - regardless of age. The subsequent behavior modification has to occur ON AN EXTENDED BASIS. Outside the cash registers going quiet for a period of time - I'm sorry but I dont see "stay at home" directives as the great hardships some people make them out to be.

Earlier generations suffered far greater and more extended hardships than chilling your "basic biological urges" for a few months.

Unfortunately most people have no concept of what hardship is. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 12:55 PM, mission27 said:

There's a big difference between prohibiting behavior that the vast majority of society views as unacceptable (drunks driving drunk, murderers) and prohibiting behavior that a large portion of society wants to engage in (socializing with their friends and family) as shown through their actions if not necessarily their stated beliefs.  That's why prohibition, the war on drugs, etc. don't work.  Unfortunately a lot of people have never learned that lesson of history. 

Blaming people for wanting to live their lives isn't going to work.  At best it will make you feel better about your moral superiority.  If you focus on more realistic public policy solutions (limiting capacity for indoor dining and closing bars, for instance) and actually enforce these rules, you will have more success.  

But behaviours like drunk driving, not wearing seatbelts, were totally acceptable at one time. So was cycling without a helmet etc.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

But behaviours like drunk driving, not wearing seatbelts, were totally acceptable at one time. So was cycling without a helmet etc.

Are you saying that it'll no longer be acceptable to not wear masks going forward?

• Like 1

A friend was on a conference call today. It would appear our shared border will remain closed until at least late December with a strong chance it will remain closed until this time in 2021.

I live in a city of 1 million. We just had our 13th straight day with no deaths. 1 person is hospitalized in ICU. 4 new cases reported. All the Eastern Ontario health units made masks indoors in public places mandatory. I believe they’re measuring compliance before Ontario enters stage 3 at months end. Stage three allows everything except concerts, arena events etc. Everything else will be open with social distancing and masks.

Our schools will be opening for the new school year. Children will be split into groups and attend school two days per week with three days of online learning. Schools will be closed Wednesday’s for deep cleaning and sanitation. Our health professionals are pushing for full school openings because of the negative mental health issues children will experience without socialization. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Are you saying that it'll no longer be acceptable to not wear masks going forward?

No, I’m simply suggesting that our behaviours can change through education, laws, and enforcement. If people believe the messaging, compliance will be relatively high. We’ve all experienced temporary water restrictions, fire bans, closed roads (for cycling or pedestrian activity) so with the right messaging from trustworthy officials (you folks have allot of divisive opinion in the U.S.A.) temporary restrictions will have high compliance. Things like masks, reduced occupancies, etc.

Edited by diehardlionfan
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Indeed.
And when those new rules were proposed, the naysayers bellyached about "people wanting to live their lives" and barfed out the retort about
the proponents "feeling better about their moral superiority."  Probably word for word. At the end of the day, its just self-centered behavior.
And that's how we got where we are today.

Also, congrats to Canadia  - and best wishes for continued progress.

• Like 4

Gilead heading into Phase 1b on the inhaled version of Remdesivir

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/gilead-kicks-off-clinical-trial-inhaled-remdesivir-for-less-severe-covid-19

Two weeks after securing an FDA go-ahead, the biotech on Wednesday said it had kicked off a phase 1b trial to evaluate the safety of inhaled remdesivir in 60 healthy volunteers in the U.S.

The hope is that the inhaled formulation—as compared with the drug’s currently available intravenous form—could reach the outpatient setting, where patients have less severe disease, and that early treatment could help them avoid hospitalization

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/gilead-kicks-off-clinical-trial-inhaled-remdesivir-for-less-severe-covid-19

Two weeks after securing an FDA go-ahead, the biotech on Wednesday said it had kicked off a phase 1b trial to evaluate the safety of inhaled remdesivir in 60 healthy volunteers in the U.S.

The hope is that the inhaled formulation—as compared with the drug’s currently available intravenous form—could reach the outpatient setting, where patients have less severe disease, and that early treatment could help them avoid hospitalization

Lung absorption is... complicated and variable. Given the primary concern here is safety, Gilead likely is conceding a good deal on the dose level. That's also a large trial, even for later stage Phase 1.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Hopefully they have positive results.

If nothing else it would be nice if Gilead gave others authority to produce Remdesivir.

17 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Our schools will be opening for the new school year. Children will be split into groups and attend school two days per week with three days of online learning. Schools will be closed Wednesday’s for deep cleaning and sanitation. Our health professionals are pushing for full school openings because of the negative mental health issues children will experience without socialization. 

As a teacher, this is a great idea in theory but how is that even remotely practical for parents? How many parents are going to have the ability to make such a drastic change to their work schedule? Or is this only at the high school level?