Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Maybe he's like a cat predator just toying with a dying animal and getting tons of amusement out of that creature's slow and painful demise...I may have to reconsider this.

That’s exactly what he is.

Everyone thinks of him as this..

latest?cb=20140323062412

A friendly, lovable pal, when in reality....

latest?cb=20120204221341 

• Like 1

So, when the initial threat of COVID-19 hit, my employer (an auto auction subsidiary of Cox Automotive) maintained business as usual to an extent. Some employees were told that there would be no work for them and not to come in but that they would continue to be paid an average of their last 12 weeks. I was still going to work for nearly 2 months working maybe 32-34 hours a week but being paid 40 hours. 

Then at the start of May we were told that the business was going to be forced to make some changes. All the people who were staying home (mostly part time) were now being furloughed. And 1,400 full time employees across the country were also being furloughed. We were told that we were still employed with the company, with all insurance benefits available, but we would have to file for unemployment,  with a September return as the worst case scenario. My manager told us that he was going to do his best to get us back to work ASAP. He said there would be a evaluation in 30 days to see how things are going. May 15 was my last day of work. 

After a month, one of my coworkers had asked me if I had gotten a call to return to work. I hadn’t but she did. In my department we have 9 people that work outside. 5 of 9 were furloughed. 2 returned after 1 month. Another 2 returned 2 weeks after that. 8 of 9 were working by July 1st. Then the company was informing employees that some of the people on furlough were going to be laid off. So people started contacting me to make sure I was not one of them. A couple weeks ago another lay off occurred, I survived that one as well apparently.

Then I was told that another email came through that in early September the remaining furloughed employees would be contacted about returning. Today I finally got a call from my manager about returning to work Sept 8th. One week short of 4 months on furlough. That is the only part that really irks me. I knew that everyone else had been back for 2 months and that I was still waiting for a call. In his haste to get everyone back they didn’t give time for the workload to pick up enough to justify everyone returning. 

I hope this doesn’t come across as a ‘woah is me’ story or me complaining. More of a story of how the auto industry is showing signs of life and maybe we’re turning that corner. But let it happen naturally and stop trying to rush it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

So, when the initial threat of COVID-19 hit, my employer (an auto auction subsidiary of Cox Automotive) maintained business as usual to an extent. Some employees were told that there would be no work for them and not to come in but that they would continue to be paid an average of their last 12 weeks. I was still going to work for nearly 2 months working maybe 32-34 hours a week but being paid 40 hours. 

Then at the start of May we were told that the business was going to be forced to make some changes. All the people who were staying home (mostly part time) were now being furloughed. And 1,400 full time employees across the country were also being furloughed. We were told that we were still employed with the company, with all insurance benefits available, but we would have to file for unemployment,  with a September return as the worst case scenario. My manager told us that he was going to do his best to get us back to work ASAP. He said there would be a evaluation in 30 days to see how things are going. May 15 was my last day of work. 

After a month, one of my coworkers had asked me if I had gotten a call to return to work. I hadn’t but she did. In my department we have 9 people that work outside. 5 of 9 were furloughed. 2 returned after 1 month. Another 2 returned 2 weeks after that. 8 of 9 were working by July 1st. Then the company was informing employees that some of the people on furlough were going to be laid off. So people started contacting me to make sure I was not one of them. A couple weeks ago another lay off occurred, I survived that one as well apparently.

Then I was told that another email came through that in early September the remaining furloughed employees would be contacted about returning. Today I finally got a call from my manager about returning to work Sept 8th. One week short of 4 months on furlough. That is the only part that really irks me. I knew that everyone else had been back for 2 months and that I was still waiting for a call. In his haste to get everyone back they didn’t give time for the workload to pick up enough to justify everyone returning. 

I hope this doesn’t come across as a ‘woah is me’ story or me complaining. More of a story of how the auto industry is showing signs of life and maybe we’re turning that corner. But let it happen naturally and stop trying to rush it. 

Sorry about all the issues you had. But glad that you get to go back to work. My company just called as well and my return date is also September 8th. So yay to the both of us. I have been applying to other places just in case but I loved where I was and hoped to be back.

Nasal spray vaccine may be better than a shot.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/08/28/906797539/what-a-nasal-spray-vaccine-against-covid-19-might-do-even-better-than-a-shot

The injected vaccine might protect people from getting terribly sick, but people still might have virus in their nose that could spread to others.

Putting a vaccine directly into the nose offers another kind of immunity that occurs primarily in the cells that line the nose and throat.

"You still get systemic immunity if you deliver it via the intranasal route, so that doesn't go away, and you add a level of immunity that you don't get with an intramuscular vaccine," she says. "And that immunity is local."

7 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Nasal dose delivery is tough to do consistently. You end up with pretty variable doses from person to person. Doesn't mean it's not an option, but the upside with injection is that you can dose it perfectly pretty much every time.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Nasal spray vaccines need to become a thing like right now.

Not because they are more effective (yet anyway), but because despite working in the pharma industry, I'm deathly afraid of shots. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Nasal spray vaccines need to become a thing like right now.

Not because they are more effective (yet anyway), but because despite working in the pharma industry, I'm deathly afraid of shots. 

I’ve been deathly afraid of needles since I was a kid. And for the most part, a simple looking away works which is funny given my fear. Except for tetanus shots. Those definitely pack more punch.

18 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

I knew that everyone else had been back for 2 months and that I was still waiting for a call. In his haste to get everyone back they didn’t give time for the workload to pick up enough to justify everyone returning. 

As a manger myself, it's really hard knowing you have people you care about furloughed or laid off.  The urge to bring people back as soon as possible trumps a lot of the business side of things, especially at the lower management positions where visibility into company finances are much lower.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xenos said:

I’ve been deathly afraid of needles since I was a kid. And for the most part, a simple looking away works which is funny given my fear. Except for tetanus shots. Those definitely pack more punch.

I had to get an update tetanus booster about a month ago, also had something for whooping cough in it.  I am good with needle and shots and that first day I was all good.  For maybe a week or so after, the pain from the shot location was wild.  I guess it had been so long since I had a shot I completely forgot.  

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 4:52 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Who owe who could have ever seen this **** coming:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4404501/

So what makes this study accurate in your mind vs the studies that showed the combo reduced the mortality?  Not asking to stoke the fire, genuinely looking to understand the difference in one versus the other. Putting any political stuff aside how can a non medial/scientific individual decipher between the two?