Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Just now, mission27 said:

Def not a bad idea for someone in the future with flu or cold to pull out their 2020 covid mask if they need to go somewhere as common courtesy. It’s the mass wearing of masks by asymptomatic people that, while not the end of the world and a good measure rn, needs to end at some point 

With an effective vaccine, sure.

I hate wearing the things as much as anyone (beards and masks don’t mix) and will be happy to ditch them when the time comes, but it needs to come because it’s safe and reasonable, not because we’re tired of wearing them or afraid we may not look like a toughass with one on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I’ve always been a “fever free for 24 hours” and “don’t send your kid to school sick” advocate with my kids and others. That said, while some people are selfish jerks that don’t care, there are societal issues like childcare, paid time off/sick leave for parents and single parents, etc that more often than not are huge factors.

Tbh there’s a simpler way about this

Allow private business to mandate vaccination at some point to participate in certain things like travel or going to sporting events. Then all the crazies will suddenly become less principled, without having to arrest people for not taking the vaccine 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think most people will get the vaccine (as many as get other vaccines anyway), but most don’t want to be the canary in the coal mine.

I personally wouldn’t get a vaccine if one came out right now. I don’t believe it could have been properly vetted tbh.  The process is 18-24 months in most cases and it’s been 8.  I get this particular vaccine may move along quicker due to the overwhelming efforts, so it may be quicker than average, but not this quick.

Once there’s a safe, established vaccine people will get it. Many of the “I’m not getting a damned vaccine” people will as their employers will mandate it, as will schools. Plenty won’t I’m sure, but enough will that the spread will be reduced significantly.

Part of the reason why it takes so long for a vaccine to come to fruition is due to there not being enough test subjects to trial it on. Luckily, with the US's (lack of) response- we're able to expedite the process.  

14 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Tbh there’s a simpler way about this

Allow private business to mandate vaccination at some point to participate in certain things like travel or going to sporting events. Then all the crazies will suddenly become less principled, without having to arrest people for not taking the vaccine 

That would create one hell of a “but muh freedom” mind bender.

14 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Serious question for people moving forward, once we are through this, what habits will you have changed for good after dealing with COVID? 

Personally I will be: 

- More conscious of washing/sanitizing my hands before I eat if I am out.  Something I probably never thought of when going out to get food pre-COVID.  Obviously post bathroom wash my hands, but just walking into a restaurant, touching car door handles, door knobs, glasses, menus, etc. and then eating...going to be more cognizant of that. 

- Shopping local, always been a big Costco/Amazon person, moving forward I am going to do what I can to support more smaller local businesses where my dollar matters a lot more. 

- Masks...I hate them, but once work is back in an office setting and I need to be in NYC again, I 100% will be wearing a masks on any public transportation I need to use.

I will definitely continue to run errands on odd hours whenever possible. My grocery store is open all the time, so I've been going at 5:30 AM to not see anyone, and it's amazing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I will definitely continue to run errands on odd hours whenever possible. My grocery store is open all the time, so I've been going at 5:30 AM to not see anyone, and it's amazing. 

Best time if you want to pickup grandmas 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

The point is that you are not asking me in good faith. You started out trying to pull a “gotcha” that wasn’t there, and now you’re pretending that you actually care what I think. I hadn’t spoken to you in months, my only previous interaction with you was somehow worse than this one, and you expect me to believe that all of the sudden you just want to know what I think?

You already know what I think because I’ve said it over and over. So why don’t you just say what you really want to say and we can move on?

lets try this, if you can simply say what experts you folllow and where you find there opinion, Ill promise not to reply, theres no tricks.  Ive asked you like 4 times now?

Saying i trust the data and experts is not a real answer. Again, what data, what experts and where do you find it.

42 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

lets try this, if you can simply say what experts you folllow and where you find there opinion, Ill promise not to reply, theres no tricks.  Ive asked you like 4 times now?

Saying i trust the data and experts is not a real answer. Again, what data, what experts and where do you find it.

*Let's, *their, *I'll, *there's

I trust the CDC, WHO, Dr. Fauci, IDPH, NPR, NEJM, JHU, my wife. I find most of this information on the internet, various news media outlets, and the television.

I hope this helps you find what you are looking for. Have a great day.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That would create one hell of a “but muh freedom” mind bender.

US airlines have already put a few thousand "freedom warriors" on the No Fly list due to their reluctance to wear a mask
I suspect we're going to see similar issues on the vaccine side. " No vaccine, no service"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

You really seem to care where this man gets his almost universally-accepted information.

1 minute ago, SwAg said:

You really seem to care where this man gets his almost universally-accepted information.

you really seem to care that i care. Wow that was childish, my apologies. 

Also, when someone refuses to say where he gets his info from, it makes me curious. now that I know.  If someone were to say 7 moths lockdowns are  great idea, i could check to see if any of those experts said it. but thank you for caring that i care. i guess? oops, childish again.

16 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Serious question for people moving forward, once we are through this, what habits will you have changed for good after dealing with COVID? 

Personally I will be: 

- More conscious of washing/sanitizing my hands before I eat if I am out.  Something I probably never thought of when going out to get food pre-COVID.  Obviously post bathroom wash my hands, but just walking into a restaurant, touching car door handles, door knobs, glasses, menus, etc. and then eating...going to be more cognizant of that. 

- Shopping local, always been a big Costco/Amazon person, moving forward I am going to do what I can to support more smaller local businesses where my dollar matters a lot more. 

- Masks...I hate them, but once work is back in an office setting and I need to be in NYC again, I 100% will be wearing a masks on any public transportation I need to use.

Certainly echo your points about washing hands more often and shopping local. I'm not a huge amazonian anyway, but I do shop in big supermarket chains too much. I will get more stuff from local independent businesses.

More importantly, I hope macro changes happen. For example, surely corporations (finance particularly) realise they don't have to be stubborn and CAN let people work from home and maintain productivity. I've worked for some stuffy dinosaur office pricks who refuse to let staff work from home. It will cut down traffic, emissions, commuter costs, busyness on trains, rent and upkeep costs etc. 

Also people (at least here) have been reconnecting with the outside. Wildlife, nature etc. We shouldn't lose that.

I think I have a roughly 0.02% faith that humans change permanently in a meaningful way post COVID though. Amazon is just too convenient.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 3