Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

5 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Anyone want to take bets on when the US is back to a relatively normal society? (Bars open with no limited capacity, etc... Mass gatherings such as sporting events may take a bit longer, so we'll just keep it to a majority of things not having a capacity limit)

I'm going with early June!

5/5 - Cinco de Mayo.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Anyone want to take bets on when the US is back to a relatively normal society? (Bars open with no limited capacity, etc... Mass gatherings such as sporting events may take a bit longer, so we'll just keep it to a majority of things not having a capacity limit)

Jan 21, 2024

14 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'll be the stupid optimist, why not: mid April 

This is quite optimistic. I like your style, but have to ask- how did you come to your prediction?

Are you assuming we'll have so many cases naturally that we won't have to vaccinate 70% of the population to mitigate the spread enough to open a majority of society up? Certainly seems that way, but where will that threshold be?

I've read that cases are likely 5x-10x higher than what's being reported. The latest report I've seen says 6x as much, so let's take that number. 

11.8m cases total x 6= 70.8m 

70.8m/328.28m US population= 22.5% of the population has contracted the virus. 

Damn, at that rate we may be hitting >40% of the population has contracted the virus by the time a vaccine is even available. Of course, this is just taking a shot in the dark, and there will definitely be some overlap with vaccination and those who have been infected. It's going to be a rough winter, geez. 

Edited by WizeGuy

18 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

This is quite optimistic. I like your style, but have to ask- how did you come to your prediction?

Are you assuming we'll have so many cases naturally that we won't have to vaccinate 70% of the population to mitigate the spread enough to open a majority of society up? Certainly seems that way, but where will that threshold be?

I've read that cases are likely 5x-10x higher than what's being reported. The latest report I've seen says 6x as much, so let's take that number. 

11.8m cases total x 6= 70.8m 

70.8m/328.28m US population= 22.5% of the population has contracted the virus. 

Damn, at that rate we may be hitting >40% of the population has contracted the virus by the time a vaccine is even available. Of course, this is just taking a shot in the dark, and there will definitely be some overlap with vaccination and those who have been infected. It's going to be a rough winter, geez. 

There's so many things we don't know, like:

1. How quickly doses are going to be manufactured and distributed
  2. How many people are already infected (and how many more will continue to be)
  3. What countries get what proportion of the early doses
  4. How many people will want the vaccine
  5. Stuff outside the scope of this website

You could estimate all of these things to come up with a precise guess, but life's pretty weird. There's so much we don't know right now, I just took middle of the year as a starting point, and went a notch more aggressive than that. No darkside wizardry or anything, just betting on people being really sick of this and exceeding expectations because of it.

It's probably wildly wrong. Or even if I'm right, I just got lucky.

• Like 2