Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

18 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Well on Monday I wasn't feeling great, and yesterday I couldn't get out of bed for more than 5 minutes. I make 1 errand a week and don't see anybody else, and so this would be Day 8 based on that. Getting my test this afternoon.

If I am positive, this thing kicks like a goddamn mule.

That sucks, man. Best of luck regardless. Keep us posted. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Well on Monday I wasn't feeling great, and yesterday I couldn't get out of bed for more than 5 minutes. I make 1 errand a week and don't see anybody else, and so this would be Day 8 based on that. Getting my test this afternoon.

If I am positive, this thing kicks like a goddamn mule.

Ugh, sorry man. Best wishes and heal up!

I lost my sense of taste and smell (as in, I could have eaten a dill pickle and piece of pie simultaneously, drank a gallon of vinegar, and nothing at all whatsoever) but had major fatigue. Just rest up, get lots of sleep, and binge watch your favorite show on whatever streaming system you use.

This goes without saying, but my wife felt like someone was sitting on her chest so we took her to the ER ASAP and she got the care she needed before it could have gotten dangerous. If you feel anything like that, go ASAP.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ugh, sorry man. Best wishes and heal up!

I lost my sense of taste and smell (as in, I could have eaten a dill pickle and piece of pie simultaneously, drank a gallon of vinegar, and nothing at all whatsoever) but had major fatigue. Just rest up, get lots of sleep, and binge watch your favorite show on whatever streaming system you use.

This goes without saying, but my wife felt like someone was sitting on her chest so we took her to the ER ASAP and she got the care she needed before it could have gotten dangerous. If you feel anything like that, go ASAP.

Thanks man, and thanks @BobbyPhil1781. Still got my sense of taste/smell. That's giving me hope right now that I'm negative. 

The chills, nausea, and fatigue are the worst of it right now. So far my breathing is fine, which is pretty much the only thing I'm focusing on at this point. Been doing @Mega Ron's doctors breathing exercises too. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Thanks man, and thanks @BobbyPhil1781. Still got my sense of taste/smell. That's giving me hope right now that I'm negative. 

The chills, nausea, and fatigue are the worst of it right now. So far my breathing is fine, which is pretty much the only thing I'm focusing on at this point. Been doing @Mega Ron's doctors breathing exercises too. 

So, I will say that two weeks ago, I had a nasty battle with a 3-5 day bug of some sort. I had nausea, a 102 fever (for me, that's very high), major fatigue, diarrhea for 6 days, aches, and a bit of a dry cough. It wasn't COVID, but it was absolutely brutal. 

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

So, I will say that two weeks ago, I had a nasty battle with a 3-5 day bug of some sort. I had nausea, a 102 fever (for me, that's very high), major fatigue, diarrhea for 6 days, aches, and a big of a dry cough. It wasn't COVID, but it was absolutely brutal. 

That's what I'm hoping I've got.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's what I'm hoping I've got.

I'm far from an expert on the medical front, but if I had to guess, I'd wager that after 6 or so months of almost complete quarantine (minus grocery trips, and even then, I did pickup a lot), my body's immune system is probably near the "reset" mark, so I'm probably getting about anything/everything to the point of where I feel like a first year teacher all over again. My first 10 years, I took may 2 sick days for my own personal health, and this year, I've taken a LOT of them due to legitimate illness...one was COVID, but the other was this nasty bug...and we aren't even into winter here in Ohio yet. 

Friends Tv Reaction GIF

Not free:

FDA authorizes first rapid, over-the-counter home coronavirus test

The Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday authorized the first rapid coronavirus test that can be taken at home without prescription and that yields immediate results.  The FDA allowed the test under an emergency use authorization. The newly approved home test will cost about $30, and the first batches will be shipped out the first week of January, according to Ellume.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/12/15/covid-home-rapid-test/

• Like 2

It is scarier right now than it ever was in the past few months. Work has more and more people coming down with it, and some with comorbidities have died. Really, really upsetting.

We also think my wife has it. She works with COVID positive patients, so I always thought it was just a matter of time, even though she took every precaution possible. She got tested today, so we'll get results on Friday. If she has it, I don't think it is possible that I don't, but I am completely asymptomatic. She has difficulty breathing, had a low fever for about a day, has a complete lack of appetite, and general tiredness. She's been sleeping for like 12 -15 hours a night and gets tired from moving around super easily. She still has her sense of taste and smell though, but those symptoms line up with what some of you guys have endured, right?

Meanwhile, I have 0 symptoms. I feel perfectly fine. Still, in the chance I don't have it, she is self-quarantining while she recovers at home and I work from home. Wearing a mask in your own house and having to sleep in the guest room isn't great.

Found out yesterday the first person I "know" that has died from Covid. My dad took a buck to his taxidermist about 5 weeks ago. The guy wasn't wearing a mask. My dad eventually convinced him he needed to (at least for that day). Fast forward a couple weeks, my brother and I stopped at the place to pay for the work (xmas gift to dad) and he has covid (I called ahead and he informed me of this) but said we could pay his wife and skeedaddle. My brother steps inside their garage/shop (he takes full precautions), she at least has the mask on but not covering her nose. He comes out quickly (under a minute) and evacuates his nose and takes some anti-viral nose spray inhalation. I stay in vehicle outside in driveway. Both of us are fine.

2.5 weeks later she passes away from covid. Unfortunate. Guy lost his wife because he was too proud/stubborn to take the minimum effort to protect himself.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

My sense big taste and smell went quite late on. It's still not back properly and it's been 8 months.

I mostly miss the smell of freshly ground coffee.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 12:17 PM, Shanedorf said:

I'm going to push back a little on this one, I hope you don't mind.

We've been vaccinating people for 65 years and have built up an immense amount of data on long - term effects across the globe
They're quite limited and one reason why is because the vaccine is only in your body for a very short period of time. On the order of a few days

Even this vaccine -  which has new components to it -  has been studied for 5 + years in animals and humans before it got to this stage of development.
The beauty of mRNA vaccines is that they have the potential to actually be safer than traditional vaccines, because the traditional ones used either dead or inactivated pathogens - and the possibility existed that some non-dead ones slip through. The mRNA vaccines don't use a pathogen at all and may end up being the way all vaccines are made going forward. This streamlines development timelines significantly. ( which the contrarians call a " super rush job !" )

Pfizer/Moderna wouldn't have gotten the green light to start the pivotal human trials without fully understanding the potential for long term effects and they already have 5 + years of data on these specific ones and more than 6 months has elapsed since the initial safety studies. So when people say "the long term effects are unknown" , that's really not the case here and I was hoping to shine a little light on that reality

Once injected, the vaccine is basically telling your body:

"I am an invader, here I am, come and get me !"  Your body mounts both an immediate and a long term response in the form of memory cells. But the actual molecules of the vaccine are cleared from your system right immediately -  so their ability to incite long terms affects are extremely limited.

The effects from the needle stick are short- lived and the immune stimulation activity is over within about 3-4 weeks. The trials that dosed thousands and thousands of humans added an extra 45 day safety period beyond the initial 8 week safety zone to make sure there were no deleterious effects. So they went out 2X the normal amount of time while in these trials -  and those patients are still being monitored 6 months later. All of the participants have access to a hotline to report anything unusual and Pfizer and Moderna are legally bound to collect, assess and address any issues that come up with the FDA.

We also have to remember that the trials couldn't even begin until an independent ethics committee signed off on the trial design, conduct and results.
Pfizer can't ram anything through, the ethics committee is responsible for being patient advocates and they won't approve the study to start without a good understanding of any potential for long term effects. The members of the ethics committee put their names, their livelihood and their future on the line when they say OK. Same at FDA, it isn't some faceless org that gives the vaccine the go-ahead. Names are named

Every person reading this post has been vaccinated multiple times in their lives, some at birth and others as we advance through life -  and 99% of us have had no issues beyond a sore arm on the day you got stuck. I totally understand that people want to be cautious, its human nature. But additional caution was built into these trials from the very beginning and people adding their own layer of caution is redundant and of little/no value from a scientific POV. 

Everybody involved knows how high the stakes are and that any problems will be magnified x 1 billion in the news media.
They are not taking any chances here, quite the opposite

The US FDA isn't infallible, but they are the Gold Standard and the very best we have on this planet. There are literally hundreds of checks and balances in place to insure a safe and effective vaccine before it gets approved...and that includes an in-depth assessment of the potential for long term issues. 

Just to give it one more page.

• Like 1