Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

3 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

A couple of healthcare workers in Alaska have had severe allergic reactions to the vaccine.

I don't know enough about it - but from what I read, the allergic reaction seems similar to someone with a peanut allergy (or like my allergy to Penecillin). Swelling of airways, rashes/hives, etc. It's a concern, yes - a major one at that - but the countermeasures are in place, an antihistamine or an Epi pen might be the solution.

I don't know, however... I'm definitely not the guy to answer these questions.

6 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Allergic reactions were unavoidable. Anyone pointing at them as a reason to be scared of vaccine are just ignorant and want a reason to be 'right'. It's not something distinct to this vaccine. 

I agree. My son needs to be monitored for the flu vaccine due to an egg allergy. I have a sulfa allergy, which would void me from certain medications. On an individual basis a severe allergic reaction is extremely rare, but on a much larger scale it happens. 

I guess what I'm wondering is- will everyone who gets the Pfizer vaccine need to be monitored now? The one nurse in Alaska had no prior severe allergic reactions. Obviously, overall, this isn't a huge concern as we've likely vaccinated 200k people (UK + US + trials) and only have 4 severe reactions thus far. Still, the hive mind is out in full force with this news, but those people were unlikely to get vaccinated anyways. 

Edited by WizeGuy

It's a shame that now some people who were on the fence might be leaning away from getting a vaccine because the information is plastered out there on every news source that someone had a "severe" reaction to the vaccine. There's a term that I'm blanking on for how people learn about something happening, whatever it might be, and because they can recall it, they assume it's much more common than it is. Assuming that at least 200k people have been vaccinated and it's been 4 severe reactions, it's 00.002%, you're less likely to have a severe reaction to it (not die, just have a severe reaction) than you are to die from the flu, but people will remember the large headlines.

The term is availability heuristic, I had to wait for my wife to be around, I knew she would remember the term, since I've asked her probably 5 times what it was before.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

It's a shame that now some people who were on the fence might be leaning away from getting a vaccine because the information is plastered out there on every news source that someone had a "severe" reaction to the vaccine. There's a term that I'm blanking on for how people learn about something happening, whatever it might be, and because they can recall it, they assume it's much more common than it is. Assuming that at least 200k people have been vaccinated and it's been 4 severe reactions, it's 00.002%, you're less likely to have a severe reaction to it (not die, just have a severe reaction) than you are to die from the flu, but people will remember the large headlines.

You are more likely to get COVID-19 and die from it then have a severe allergic reaction to the vaccine. By a lot. So by most people's "im healthy and have nothing to worry about" rhetoric, they are unintentionally proving that they SHOULD get the vaccine. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ET80 said:
4 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

A couple of healthcare workers in Alaska have had severe allergic reactions to the vaccine.

I don't know enough about it - but from what I read, the allergic reaction seems similar to someone with a peanut allergy (or like my allergy to Penecillin). Swelling of airways, rashes/hives, etc. It's a concern, yes - a major one at that - but the countermeasures are in place, an antihistamine or an Epi pen might be the solution.

I don't know, however... I'm definitely not the guy to answer these questions.

This is correct. And given the short half life of the vaccine - I'll guess less than 4 hours pretty comfortably; the vaccine is out of the body entirely after a day. So all we need to do is manage symptoms with adrenaline until then. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Looking like $600 stimulus checks to be announced in the next day or two. LOL

and I bet the corporation I work with with billions in profits this year will get hundreds of millions, compared to my $600.

Good thing they gave very employee multiple furloughs to save money and keep that 30%+ profit margin!! Wouldn't want those shareholders to starve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

and I bet the corporation I work with with billions in profits this year will get hundreds of millions, compared to my $600.

Good thing they gave very employee multiple furloughs to save money and keep that 30%+ profit margin!! Wouldn't want those shareholders to starve.

Cry Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

But seriously I’m not surprised but am still sad about it.

Edited by Xenos

Southern California is now at 0% ICU capacity:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/12/17/947522126/california-activates-mass-fatality-program-as-state-sets-new-virus-records

The spike in new infections, which began in October, is being largely blamed on Californians ignoring safety protocols and socializing with others, according to The Associated Press.

Mark Pazin, the state's OES chief, told Sacramento-based NBC affiliate KCRA that the purpose of the program is to ensure the spiking death tolls don't overwhelm localities.

"I know it sounds morbid, but it's got to be said, that we have the body bags, that we have the proper refrigeration units, that the capacity has not outstripped the local morgue or funeral home," Pazin said.

6 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Looking like $600 stimulus checks to be announced in the next day or two. LOL

After months of inactivity and stalemating this is the best they could come up with. So messed up to those millions of struggling families across the nation. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by Blackstar12
  • Like 1