How many WR1's are in the NFL? And how important is it?

BayRaider

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Put Davante on a different team, his numbers will be no where close. 

Rodgers ball-placement is the best of any QB in history. Throws it to Adams where a defender can’t make a play what so ever. Adams is not a good NFL separator. And it’s not that he’s overly great at catching in traffic like Evans and Thomas, it’s Rodgers ball-placement. 

Not disrespecting Adams, I think he’s a great Upper Tier WR2 and a Top 15-16 WR in the league. Top 5 is a hugeeee stretch though. 

Really gotta stop looking at box scores, some members on this forum live by stats and think they are king. 

Have you watched Adams play? Serious question. He’s a type of receiver who’s going to produce no matter the QB. He is great at short routes with YAC extensions. He can do those plays with Bill O’Brien at QB. 

1 minute ago, Duluther said:

Have you watched Adams play? Serious question. He’s a type of receiver who’s going to produce no matter the QB. He is great at short routes with YAC extensions. He can do those plays with Bill O’Brien at QB. 

Yes, every college game, and probably at least 40-50% of his NFL stuff. He’s never been a good separator. Him with Rodgers is a perfect pairing because of the ball placement. I’m not denying he’s good at short routes with YAC ability, the point is he needs a QB with pinpoint accuracy. And we aren’t talking Upper Half QBs, we are talking Top 5-6. 

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

7. JuJu Smith-Schuster

8. Courtland Sutton

Big fan of Sutton, he's gonna keep doing great things.

9. Odell Beckam Jr.

I personally feel Odell is slightly overrated but I still think he's a true WR1, Top 10 WR.

10. Keenan Allen

11. Amari Cooper

12. Cooper Kupp

Upper Tier WR2's including: Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, A.J. Brown, Calvin Ridley, Stefon Diggs, Adam Theilen, Robert Woods, Chris Godwin, Terry McLaurin, D.J. Moore, Mike Williams.

Would’ve traded DJ and 2nd for all those guys plus Deebo...  Once Lamb, Juedy and Ruggs hit the league it’s got to be the deepest the WR position has ever been.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Adams is not the greatest separator by any means and has had a Top 2-3 QB in the league throwing in very tight-accurate windows. Adams is a solid WR. I don’t see him as a WR1. He’ll get shut down by most Top Corners. 

There's plenty of footage out there of him taking it to Rhodes, Slay, Lattimore, Gilmore, Sherman for me to know this is false. He's one of the league's best route runners, and has the best first step across the league. He actually brought Chad Johnson to literal tears while watching his tape. Having Rodgers helps, but I've seen him continuously beat guys off the line and at the top of his routes enough to where I can confidently say the man would produce anywhere with anyone (he played 9 games with Brett Hundley back in 2017 and didn't miss a beat.) There's only about four teams he could go to where he wouldn't be the undoubted #1 on the team (Thomas, Julio, Hopkins.) He's so much better than a lot of those you listed ahead of him (Odell, Sutton, Evans, Juju, Cooper, Kupp, Green, Allen) its laughable. He's been arguably the NFLs most productive receiver over the last three or four seasons for a reason, and it isn't just because of Rodgers. 

• Like 1

I feel like there are probably ~5 sort of "franchise WRs" right now, if that makes any sense.  The guys who can probably make most QBs look really good, or a good QB look absolutely masterful.

After that, it's becoming such a chess match.  It comes down to scheme, fit, usage, quality of QB, etc. for how the rest of them look year to year.  It's just a big crowd of #1a/#1b type WRs who can thrive as top targets in certain systems and situations.  Devante Adams being quibbled over, is a prime example of that imo.  He's not a true, unequivocal "franchise WR"...but in the Packers situation with a QB where he's a pretty perfect fit, he's very clearly a #1 weapon, and a good one at that.  There are situations where i don't think he would be though.  Same way someone like Allen Robinson isn't generally seen as an indisputable #1WR, but if you put him with someone like Tom Brady...i think he would be.

I don't think that really devalues the position, or makes it a "luxury" spot though.  Having that reliable top weapon makes things so much easier for the rest of the receivers around them.  NOT having that top target who can thrive despite top defensive attention...it just trickles down to the rest of the receiving corps and makes their jobs harder.  Collecting good weapons is what makes teams dangerous...and if you can put together a pair of #1a/b sort of receivers, it creates problems for opposing defenses.  It's something to aim for, if you can.  There's some premium value on that still.

It's not like the RB position, where it's become almost an afterthought...dependent on OLine play and Scheme over everything else.

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Adams is not the greatest separator by any means and has had a Top 2-3 QB in the league throwing in very tight-accurate windows. Adams is a solid WR. I don’t see him as a WR1. He’ll get shut down by most Top Corners. 

I’m sorry but this is a god-awful opinion.

• Like 1

Yeah you’re opinion on Davante Adams is wrong. HIs release off the line is arguably the best in the league. People need to stop defaulting his production to Rodgers. Rodgers needs him just as much he needs Rodgers. Heck at this point I’d say Rodgers needs him more. 

As for this question, you can apply this every position. No single position will be THE reason for a SB aside from a few elite QBs. So I don’t get the point. 

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Put Davante on a different team, his numbers will be no where close. 

Rodgers ball-placement is the best of any QB in history. Throws it to Adams where a defender can’t make a play what so ever. Adams is not a good NFL separator. And it’s not that he’s overly great at catching in traffic like Evans and Thomas, it’s Rodgers ball-placement. 

Not disrespecting Adams, I think he’s a great Upper Tier WR2 and a Top 15-16 WR in the league. Top 5 is a hugeeee stretch though. 

Really gotta stop looking at box scores, some members on this forum live by stats and think they are king. 

Davante Adams is better than Amari Cooper. I think that if he traded teams, he'd be just fine. He's a very good separator...he's so fluid and quick. I don't know what you are seeing. But to each there own.