NCAA football

Ty21

20 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I had a whole big post of my calculations of what I assume Madden’s in and outs would be on an annual basis. Ultimately they pay $300M a year ($1.5B for 5 yrs) for NFLPA likenesses. If they plugged that in, the average between all assumed cfb players (73k) would be about $4k each. 2x-4x that number though probably because I think the 73k accounts for D2/D3 too. Idk if they’d fluctuate for star players vs bench nobodies. If SEC schools would get more money than Iowa State. 

I doubt they'd spend the same to license players for NCAA that they do Madden.  Probably not really close as the game doesn't traditionally sell as well.  They have 130 coaches they're going to want to license, as well, vs 32.  The coaches are more important in terms of stuff like dynasty mode than individual players would be.  At least for me.  I'm guessing it's something closer to $1k, you're in or you're out.  Maybe P5 gets $2k and G5 gets $1k, type of deal.  Cover athlete gets more, and then guys can make additional from EA promoting and advertising the game.  The faces they want to use to advertise the game, and that they value over the others, are going to be featured in commercials.  Maybe they offer more for players they want in their UT-esque mode, if they are going to want to feature some current players in that.  

I don't know what the entire budget is for this game, but can't see $300M of it being allocated to the players.  It's going to sell fantastic the first year, and maybe even rival Madden due to the decade wait, but they're going to have years of development costs without return.  They'll be setting the tone for how much it is going to cost to license these guys for the future, when the game probably isn't selling quite as well as it does that first go around.  They might not even spend a 1/3 of that to license players.  I think the vast majority of players would take a copy of the game to be in it, so they probably won't be in a rush to shell out much compensation to them as individuals.  

I really have no idea though, just shooting from the hip.  Interested to see how it plays out.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 43M said:

Nice in theory, but I know better than to get too excited for anything they say.

Watch that come out with an amazing dynasty mode, while Madden franchise continues to get the "next year is the year" treatment.

Madden 25’s most significant change will be that you can port players from college football game into your franchise. Like that’s new. 

• Like 1

I hope it will be like some of the previous NCAA titles where there were 5* guys that were focused on being developed. Schools like Stanford, Iowa, and Northwestern should still be able to be competitive and attract elite recruits, also having an elite coach should mean something as well.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

21 hours ago, August4th said:

these guys run arguably the best college football podcast. one of em got so see what EA is doing with recruiting and they asked him for advice. He talks about it around 4:20.

Didn’t look like any of them do much running tbh 

12 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Didn’t look like any of them do much running tbh 

-I hated the running style, it was to jerky and not smooth

-When you intercepted a pass, there was a pause causing you to get tackled when it was clearly a pick 6

-The defensive A.I. was horrific 

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

-I hated the running style, it was to jerky and not smooth

-When you intercepted a pass, there was a pause causing you to get tackled when it was clearly a pick 6

-The defensive A.I. was horrific 

My post was a fat joke, but if we’re gonna talk about the running in ncaa, it was actually enjoyable for me. You could weave through defenders without even having to juke or make a move. Infinitely better than the big square boxes they made in recent maddens where you can’t move laterally at all and can’t change direction to save your life. I’m really just hoping ncaa feels totally different from madden 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tetsujin said:

There's thousands of players. How much do they think they should each get?

I have no idea.  $500 per would be around $5M for EA to shell out for player likeness.  I thought it would be in the $1K to $500 area, plus probably a copy of the game.  I don't know how they are going to handle it.  If the $500 is legit, you might be able to hold out to get the $1K, but I doubt it goes beyond that.  I'm guessing they set a total, say the $5M and then whoever opts in gets whatever their cut would be.  The "scabs" get more money to try and break the holdout.  They were always going to start low to set a bar for future negotiations.  The stars will get more through advertising deals.  

• 4 months later...

Listened to this while working, and it was pretty interesting.

The tldl version;

This guy gets his information from a combination of open records requests from public institutions and contacts at EA.

-Only schools participating in the FBS in 2024 will be in the game (no FCS)

-Most FBS schools have signed on, but there are a few stragglers. Those stragglers are still participating in development (sending audio assets to EA, responding to emails, etc).

-The plan right now is for every scholarship player for 2024 (85 players per team * 134 teams) will be in the game. EA is partnering with One Team Partners (they also administer the group license for the Madden franchise). There would be a unified contract for all players (standard practice for sports games, EA can't individually negotiate 10,000 deals, regardless of some players having more marketability). Players would still have to opt in individually though, so there is a high likelihood that some players may forget to do the paperwork or something like that.

-*Not official* but a ballpark figure for player reimbursement would be $500-$1200 each. No contract is in place yet though.

-Armed services academies players might not be in the game due to NIL rules with federal employees.

-Don't expect any major game announcements from EA until very close to an actual launch (falling in line with other sports titles).

-*rumor* kind of implied that NIL would be a feature in recruiting, but not at liberty to discuss. (that's what I inferred from his statement anyway).

-EA says that Dynasty is the flagship mode

-Recruiting will not be like NCAA 14. Recruiting focus is on realism (how does CFB look today). NIL (in some capacity) and transfer portal. "They want players to feel connected and excited about recruits who they will be able to play with the next season"

-Will not be released on last Gen or Nintendo Switch. PC TBD.

-Presentation: ESPN has a contract with EA for this game. College gameday crew has done audio for the game (Herbstriet and Davis and some others, no knowledge on Corso).

-Don't expect face scans of 13k college players.

-Unsure if head coaches will be in the game.

-0% of the code from the last CFB game is useable. So the whole thing is being rebuilt.

-Design leads are diehard CFB fans and realize that you can't just make a carbon copy of Madden because there is too much difference between NFL and college. (question related to concerns that the new game will be a Madden clone).

-EA is trying to license music like Enter Sandman for Virginia Tech and others. But might not be financially feasible.

-EA does not expected to sell more than 25% of what Madden does (important note for anyone thinking we will see major NIL payouts to players).

-No knowledge on team builder

-EA is asking for a ton of information from universities including: every angle of the stadium and background (Brand new 3d render of every stadium), pictures of fans, mascots, game day presentation (pregame songs, audio on 3rd down, chants from the student section)

-Focus on rivalry games, presentation.