Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

6 hours ago, drd23 said:

At least you didn't go with "can he do it on a rainy night in Stoke?" I guess...

But he isn't proven amongst top competition consistently, is he? People are acting like the guy is Franco Baresi before he's even performed in a top league.

It's a good price for a player of his reputation. Good luck to him.

7 hours ago, kempus said:

I get what you're saying about it not being your money etc. I agree with that as a whole. However, when you terribly overpay for a player it can damage the club more than it benefits it. Sanchez is an example of overpaying (wages in this case) and it damaging the club. I don't think Maguire is a bad player, but I also don't think he will massively improve United. Surely there are better options for 80 mill? I think a lot of the ridicule is because his price is only that because he's English. 

De Ligt got roasted by Llorente in the CL too. I think he will be a wonderful player in the future though.

I don't think the Sanchez comparison is fair. Different wages and we had no need for Sanchez's position when we bought him. We couldn't possibly need a CB any more.

I've no clue if there are better CBs out there. I don't watch any other league besides the Premier League and I don't think there are any better options for us to buy from within the league.

Yes there is a surcharge for being English - it doesn't count as a foreign player in the league's quota and more importantly, the player is more likely to stay long term because the country is their home. Nothing new.

On 20/07/2019 at 8:24 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

But he isn't proven amongst top competition consistently, is he? People are acting like the guy is Franco Baresi before he's even performed in a top league.

It's a good price for a player of his reputation. Good luck to him.

He is tho. He proved it in the Champions League. He’s 19. And shows a rare level of composure and intelligence for his age. Paying 80 mil for Maguire is ridiculous. It honestly gets annoying that people use the domestic league as a concern 

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

He is tho. He proved it in the Champions League. He’s 19. And shows a rare level of composure and intelligence for his age. Paying 80 mil for Maguire is ridiculous. It honestly gets annoying that people use the domestic league as a concern 

Haha. Love that. Because there has never been a fairytale team in the  Champions League before, full of players that then went out to achieve absolutely nothing ... xD Some of us are old enough to remember that Senegal team of 2002 as well. Let's have it right - you've seen NOTHING of him on a consistent basis. It's absolutely hilarious how everyone becomes experts on players via the internet.

I guess based on your logic, Dusan Tadic is proven because he's done it in the Champions League? He was Ajax's most important creative player in a team that showed a LOT more offensively than it did defensively. Tell me - did you see Dusan Tadic in the premier league? I sure did. 

Frankly, I don't give a **** about the price for Maguire. He improves the team and I think (as does Pep, evidently) he is good enough to play for a top team. Besides his pace, which is a concern, what trait doesn't he have to be a top CB? We've not had a CB who is good on the ball since Rio left so frankly, I am happy with the signing should it happen. It isn't my money so again, I don't care. When your owners fleece you for nearly £1 billion, these things are quite minuscule really.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Haha. Love that. Because there has never been a fairytale team in the  Champions League before, full of players that then went out to achieve absolutely nothing ... xD Some of us are old enough to remember that Senegal team of 2002 as well. Let's have it right - you've seen NOTHING of him on a consistent basis. It's absolutely hilarious how everyone becomes experts on players via the internet.

I guess based on your logic, Dusan Tadic is proven because he's done it in the Champions League? He was Ajax's most important creative player in a team that showed a LOT more offensively than it did defensively. Tell me - did you see Dusan Tadic in the premier league? I sure did. 

Frankly, I don't give a **** about the price for Maguire. He improves the team and I think (as does Pep, evidently) he is good enough to play for a top team. Besides his pace, which is a concern, what trait doesn't he have to be a top CB? We've not had a CB who is good on the ball since Rio left so frankly, I am happy with the signing should it happen. It isn't my money so again, I don't care. When your owners fleece you for nearly £1 billion, these things are quite minuscule really.

Lol comparing the Champions League to the World Cup. Like seriously. 

Seeing him in the CL is consistent enough. A tournament that runs thru September to May, but yeah not consistent enough. I’m just tired of ignorant people act like if you don’t play in England or Spain then they’re not proven enough. PL is full of foreign players from all over Europe yet fans like you still have that concern. Tadic has always been quality btw, he just played for a team in England who was largely deficient. He wasn’t consistent enough. When was the last time a team in the CL made a fairytale run like Ajax did and the top players in team failed? So chill. De Ligt is the real deal. I’m taking him over Maguire. Maguire due to his stature is a good ball carrier. Seen Maguire out of position so many times and he’s still very rash. De Ligt is so composed, shows great leadership, able to pass with good range. Llorente having him problems true, as a target man Llorente is handful for many defenders.

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

Lol comparing the Champions League to the World Cup. Like seriously. 

Seeing him in the CL is consistent enough. A tournament that runs thru September to May, but yeah not consistent enough. I’m just tired of ignorant people act like if you don’t play in England or Spain then they’re not proven enough. PL is full of foreign players from all over Europe yet fans like you still have that concern. Tadic has always been quality btw, he just played for a team in England who was largely deficient. He wasn’t consistent enough. When was the last time a team in the CL made a fairytale run like Ajax did and the top players in team failed? So chill. De Ligt is the real deal. I’m taking him over Maguire. Maguire due to his stature is a good ball carrier. Seen Maguire out of position so many times and he’s still very rash. De Ligt is so composed, shows great leadership, able to pass with good range. Llorente having him problems true, as a target man Llorente is handful for many defenders.

And I bet you saw every game of him in the Champions League, didn't you? I am sure you definitely decided to watch Ajax vs Benfica in the group stages, didn't you? It's funny how everyone is a massive Ajax fan now. I would bet a ridiculous sum of money that you've seen him at club level no more than 6 times, yet you're willing to actually act like you know the guy inside out. You don't.

It's a perfectly logical concern to have with someone coming from a league of a poor standard to the best league in the world. That isn't patronising or elitist; to any none idiot that would be a concern too. Ah, but of course! You've seen him 6 times in the Champions League so you know better. Gotcha.

At what point did I ever say I would take Maguire over De Ligt, by the way? Or when did anyone say that? And please - Dusan Tadic in the premier league is nothing more than Hatem Ben Arfa. Capable of anything but with absolutely zero consistency and frankly, a liability to have in your side. A magical run in a cup competition doesn't change that, so you should probably stop making excuses for him.

And what about Rashford giving De Ligt the runaround, too? So he struggles with raw pace, and struggles with target men. How dare I not be willing to anoint him!

Edited by lomaxgrUK

27 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

And I bet you saw every game of him in the Champions League, didn't you? I am sure you definitely decided to watch Ajax vs Benfica in the group stages, didn't you? It's funny how everyone is a massive Ajax fan now. I would bet a ridiculous sum of money that you've seen him at club level no more than 6 times, yet you're willing to actually act like you know the guy inside out. You don't.

It's a perfectly logical concern to have with someone coming from a league of a poor standard to the best league in the world. That isn't patronising or elitist; to any none idiot that would be a concern too. Ah, but of course! You've seen him 6 times in the Champions League so you know better. Gotcha.

At what point did I ever say I would take Maguire over De Ligt, by the way? Or when did anyone say that? And please - Dusan Tadic in the premier league is nothing more than Hatem Ben Arfa. Capable of anything but with absolutely zero consistency and frankly, a liability to have in your side. A magical run in a cup competition doesn't change that, so you should probably stop making excuses for him.

And what about Rashford giving De Ligt the runaround, too? So he struggles with raw pace, and struggles with target men. How dare I not be willing to anoint him!

I don’t know him inside out and never pretended to. I’ve seen him enough times to make a conclusion. Guys like De Jong and De Ligt have been hyped for at least a year now. Just because certain people heard of them only in the knockout stages doesn’t mean they weren’t doing well before that. I don’t have to watch 20 games to pass judgement. Rashford did not give him the run around, let’s not be silly.

its not a logical concern. It’s silly. Rather than comparing style. Morata came from Real and Juve and struggled. Somebody like Drogba came from France and dominated. Tadic has always shown what he is capable of. He just played for a team that is quite dysfunctional and now went to a team that allowed him to be more attack minded and expressive. Using the league a player plays for to lessen them has proven over time to be a farce yet people still use it. There are flops across all of Europe. 

Edited by Kip Smithers

4 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

I don’t know him inside out and never pretended to. I’ve seen him enough times to make a conclusion. Guys like De Jong and De Ligt have been hyped for at least a year now. Just because certain people heard of them only in the knockout stages doesn’t mean they weren’t doing well before that. I don’t have to watch 20 games to pass judgement. Rashford did not give him the run around, let’s not be silly.

its not a logical concern. It’s silly. Rather than comparing style. Morata came from Real and Juve and struggled. Somebody like Drogba came from France and dominated. Tadic has always shown what he is capable of. He just played for a team that is quite dysfunctional and now went to a team that allowed him to be more attack minded and expressive. Using the league a player plays for to lessen them has proven over time to be a farce yet people still use it. There are flops across all of Europe. 

It doesn't have to be just a stylistic concern; level of competition is a valid concern and a few games in the Champions League doesn't change that. For every one example of players coming from lesser leagues and killing it (Drogba, Van Nistelrooy, Suarez, etc) I could give you ten who haven't panned out. Again, I am not saying that is anything to do with the style of play within the Premier League - it's the consistent level of competition that so many fail with. I suppose that isn't going to change too much for De Ligt in Serie A, mind .........

I really can't be arsed debating Dusan Tadic. He played in a Southampton team that finished 7th, 6th and 8th during his first 3 years at the club. Stop blaming dysfunction for his lack of consistency; it's because on the whole, he isn't close to being a top player despite his Champions League campaign. You cited one Champions League campaign as proof of someone being proven, I gave you a (very) obvious example to disprove that statement, to which for whatever reason you're still trying to defend. I would say that is "silly".

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

It doesn't have to be just a stylistic concern; level of competition is a valid concern and a few games in the Champions League doesn't change that. For every one example of players coming from lesser leagues and killing it (Drogba, Van Nistelrooy, Suarez, etc) I could give you ten who haven't panned out. Again, I am not saying that is anything to do with the style of play within the Premier League - it's the consistent level of competition that so many fail with. I suppose that isn't going to change too much for De Ligt in Serie A, mind .........

I really can't be arsed debating Dusan Tadic. He played in a Southampton team that finished 7th, 6th and 8th during his first 3 years at the club. Stop blaming dysfunction for his lack of consistency; it's because on the whole, he isn't close to being a top player despite his Champions League campaign. You cited one Champions League campaign as proof of someone being proven, I gave you a (very) obvious example to disprove that statement, to which for whatever reason you're still trying to defend. I would say that is "silly".

It’s not a valid concern because numerous of players have disproved it time and time again. So if that is the case, how on Earth is it a concern? Their failures could be related to something outside the league they came from. We’re not talking about a few players here and there who have flourished. No there is a long list of players  who have come from a lesser leagues who have torn up the premier league. It’s not a valid concern anymore, heck dunno if it was ever. Especially those with CL experience.

i can absolutely blame Southampton for his lack of consistency. They alternated managers with varying philosophies and he played with a manager with who played to his strengths in terms of style of play and freedom. That ability he displayed in the Champs was always there. Didn’t come outta nowhere. Besides even at Ajax in CL it’s not like he consistently great. Guys like Ziyech, Neres, De Jong we’re still the stars of the show for them going forward and Van Der Beek

3 hours ago, PFM18 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49134836

Looks like Bale's off to China. 

Can't sniff at the pay, but blimey there's just not a lot of ambition involved is there. 

Well, ambition relative to his not being willing to take a substantial wage-cut.  The guy was pulling in a quarter-mill per week, that in itself massively limited the pool for a player who is, at best, on the backside of his prime.

5 hours ago, The LBC said:

Well, ambition relative to his not being willing to take a substantial wage-cut.  The guy was pulling in a quarter-mill per week, that in itself massively limited the pool for a player who is, at best, on the backside of his prime.

It's sad really. As happy as I will be to be able to watch him in the flesh again, it's a complete waste. Bale should be playing at one of the top European clubs for his final few years of prime ability. Not spending it in the awful Chinese league. Objectively, it's a chore to watch games if you aren't physically at the match.