Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

On 01/08/2019 at 12:22 PM, BaltimoreTerp said:

Pepe official and it sounds like the Tierney deal should get done.

If the rumors about Mustafi are true and we're able to offload him and bring in a new centerback then it's an A+ summer. 

Tierney is best avoided. It’s unlikely he’d pass a proper medical on account of having a serious hip issue which has resulted in significant time out over the past year or so. It’s apparently a developmental issue which will never go away.

If you did sign him, he’d take on the Jack Wilshere role.

20 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

McGuire for 85m, Ake being valued at 75m by Bournemouth reportedly, Tarkowski and Dunk at 45m... seems like the success of the Van Dijk signing has completely broken the CB market in the EPL.

The thing is that Virgil was still the best CB before he joined Liverpool. Maguire not even top 5. United just desperate. 

Latest word on the Arsenal front is that we've got 2 more signings coming tomorrow, Kieran Tierney + a center back, most likely David Luiz although there are also some Rugani rumors festering. 

Would have loved for us to go big on a move for Upamecano as we were allegedly trying to pull off but if that wasn't possible then I think Tierney+Luiz does good work to strengthen our defense. A haul of Pepe/Ceballos/Martinelli/Luiz/Tierney plus Saliba joining next year would be a pretty strong summer, at the very least it looks like Raul is doing what he can to strengthen the squad and get creative with our budget. 

19 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Latest word on the Arsenal front is that we've got 2 more signings coming tomorrow, Kieran Tierney + a center back, most likely David Luiz although there are also some Rugani rumors festering. 

Would have loved for us to go big on a move for Upamecano as we were allegedly trying to pull off but if that wasn't possible then I think Tierney+Luiz does good work to strengthen our defense. A haul of Pepe/Ceballos/Martinelli/Luiz/Tierney plus Saliba joining next year would be a pretty strong summer, at the very least it looks like Raul is doing what he can to strengthen the squad and get creative with our budget. 

New reports we gave Auba and Laca new deals as well. The Arsenal doing some good business this window, not sure how to act.

Also, Iwobi sold to Everton for 40m.  Fair price, given the market.  Kind of a shame we'll never get to see if what he could do as part of a midfield three, but this is the bit of cutthroat-ness I've been wanting to see from us for a while.  Rather than clinging to "what still could be" (which would be trademark Wenger), Raul and co. aren't afraid to pull off the BandAid if/when someone comes along with a good offer on a player who doesn't look to be a regular starting XI fixture and who we have youth in the squad who can take up his minutes and likely perform comparably.  40m for Iwobi while freeing up more minutes for Reiss Nelson and Emile Smith Rowe is the right decision.

18 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Life without Ivan.  #feelsgoodman

Have to admit I was wrong about him, I really did used to think he got too much stick from the fans but it turns out he really was just abysmal at his job. Staggering levels of competence at the executive level now at the club; it's genuinely flooring to get to the end of the transfer window and feel like we addressed all of our needs. When is the last time we could say that?!? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Also, Iwobi sold to Everton for 40m.  Fair price, given the market.  Kind of a shame we'll never get to see if what he could do as part of a midfield three, but this is the bit of cutthroat-ness I've been wanting to see from us for a while.  Rather than clinging to "what still could be" (which would be trademark Wenger), Raul and co. aren't afraid to pull off the BandAid if/when someone comes along with a good offer on a player who doesn't look to be a regular starting XI fixture and who we have youth in the squad who can take up his minutes and likely perform comparably.  40m for Iwobi while freeing up more minutes for Reiss Nelson and Emile Smith Rowe is the right decision.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see the funds generated from Iwobi be used in January to go after Upamecano again.

5 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

I wouldn’t be shocked to see the funds generated from Iwobi be used in January to go after Upamecano again.

I would.  The technical staff rates Holding and I don't think they want to block him or Saliba.  If anything, I think this may be a two-fer type situation where, if they can find someone in January willing to take on Mkhitaryan, the take another shot at Zaha if they see it as a move (based off how the table looks at the time) that could help us sew up CL qualification.

But Iwobi's sale was as much a sheet-balancing bit as any, and likely because we couldn't find anyone willing to bite on Mkhi.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

I would.  The technical staff rates Holding and I don't think they want to block him or Saliba.  If anything, I think this may be a two-fer type situation where, if they can find someone in January willing to take on Mkhitaryan, the take another shot at Zaha if they see it as a move (based off how the table looks at the time) that could help us sew up CL qualification.

But Iwobi's sale was as much a sheet-balancing bit as any, and likely because we couldn't find anyone willing to bite on Mkhi.

Ehhh I don't know if that's true we by all accounts did try for Upamecano this window and it wouldn't be a surprise to see us go back in for him - we more or less held the Tierney deal up all summer waiting to see first whether we would spend big on a CB target and only pulled the trigger once we knew we were going for a cheaper/shorter-term option at CB, so I think the interest there is big. 

I doubt it's a January move but if he hasn't renewed his contract and we make top 4 then I bet we'll go hard at him next summer. Given Saliba will only be 19 next summer they may opt to bring him along as a squad player at first while bringing in a more established but still young CB with resale value to partner Holding with. 

4 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Ehhh I don't know if that's true we by all accounts did try for Upamecano this window and it wouldn't be a surprise to see us go back in for him - we more or less held the Tierney deal up all summer waiting to see first whether we would spend big on a CB target and only pulled the trigger once we knew we were going for a cheaper/shorter-term option at CB, so I think the interest there is big. 

I doubt it's a January move but if he hasn't renewed his contract and we make top 4 then I bet we'll go hard at him next summer. Given Saliba will only be 19 next summer they may opt to bring him along as a squad player at first while bringing in a more established but still young CB with resale value to partner Holding with. 

Fair bet.  But I also feel like if we qualify for CL we may be inclined to go after a more proven young CB than Upamecano, depending on how he holds up against CL competition this season.  I agree in principle.  I just think they want to see, particularly for a defender, him do it against CL level competition before investing the kind of money it takes to sign a *name* young CB these days.

Ndombele, Clarke, Lo Celso and Sessegnon is a very solid transfer window. Managing to shift Janssen, Trippier and hopefully N'Koudou is another bonus. However, can't help but feel slightly underwhelmed when we were being linked with the likes of Dybala and Coutinho. 

We are still woefully poor at FB and have the probable departures of Alderweireld, Eriksen (if we don't sell him to Europe in the next few weeks) and possibly Vertonghen (if we don't extend him), next season. Thats 3 of our most important players. 

We spent, but not a massive amount. Net spend is probably 60-70 or so million pounds. Thats not a lot given we just made the Champions league final and hadn't bought anyone for 3 transfer windows. I think top 4 is going to be a battle this season. Arsenal clearly improved and United too. 

5 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I think you tried, didn't like his price then opted for Luiz. I don't think you make the Luiz deal if you pick up Upamecano.