2020 Draft Thread

holt_bruce81

15 minutes ago, The LBC said:

It's a hip thing (and a shoulder thing).  https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/tyler-biadasz-nfl-combine-2020

That said, we have Blythe on a 1-year deal.  So there probably does reach a threshold for us where, if they bought hard enough on the 2018 tape and believe that the decline in 2019 can be attributed to the hip injury, then it may be worth it to them to spend a pick on the hope that if given a "redshirt year" he can heal back to 2018 form.

Yeah, I don't know how serious the hip issue is. Is it something that heals with time or something that will only get worse and prematurely end his career?

27 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, I don't know how serious the hip issue is. Is it something that heals with time or something that will only get worse and prematurely end his career?

Yeah. that's the concern, because it's definitely something that could result in extended instances of waist-bending, which I'd have to go back and watch his 2019 tape, but that could explain part of the reason why he wasn't as explosive as he had seemed in previous years.  The hip was reportedly what kept him from working out at the combine.  The shoulder was reported to be the injury that carried over from last season.  Shoulder injuries cause a recent prominent OL prospect to fall, I just can't remember which.

4 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

And I know this is a homer pick but Albert O is such a massive talent, I would love to see the Rams snag him up here and see what he can develop into under McVay. 

As a Mizzou fan too I'm the exact opposite. I think he's soft as hell and always seemed to just beat up on little competition and disappear and disappoint in big games. On day 3 I can live with the pick but I would prefer we pass. He also probably will never be a serviceable blocker. 

So Ive been scouring through the internet after the Rams Day 2 of the draft and pretty much everyone is loving the Rams draft picks. The Rams are getting an A for draft Akers from pretty much everyone and its basically saying how running backs coaches all over really likes him and he fits McVay scheme perfectly. Jefferson pick is getting a B from pretty much everyone saying he is a great route runner and the Rams will use him and Kupp perfectly together in the scheme without having to take Kupp away from his slot position. Lewis pick is getting a A+ from pretty much everyone stating that he has unbelievable talent and the only reason he fell is because of injury concerns. Pretty much everyone is saying the Rams got a steal with this pick. Lastly the Burgess pick from pretty much everyone is getting a B but one guy I read loves him. He said he is going to be used right away because the Rams are thin at linebacker and Rapp and Johnson are all in the box type safeties and Burgess could be used as a center fielder on passing downs as the Rams will use three safeties on the field.

So in general the people who know football and did all the scouting leading up to the draft really like what the Rams did. None of which I saw anyone give the Rams lower than a B on any of their picks. Even one guy on NFL.com gave the Rams an A+ Day 1 saying no player the Rams couldve drafted at 20 wouldve been better than Ramsey and said the same thing will be said next year too which is rare for two players not being better than one. Then he gave the Rams an A for Day 2. So again the Rams might not have gotten the players you or I wanted personally but it doesnt mean they didnt do a great job last night. I think every player they draft will be productive if they are given the chance this season. Akers and Lewis will most certainly get the chance and I can see Lewis being a double digit sack guy if he stays healthy. Akers I wont be surprised if he has 1200yds from scrimmage. I dont know how Jefferson will be used with Kupp Woods, Reynolds, Higbee, Everett and the assumption Henderson and Akers will get balls thrown their way alot. All I know is when he does get balls thrown his way he will make the most of those opportunities. One thing for sure is the Rams didnt draft any projects that we hope can develop into something years from now. I can see Burgess making a Rapp type of impact in his first season where he gets better as the season comes along. 

• Like 1

Cam Akers- I like it. I don't love it cause I made it no secret I wanted JK Dobbins. Maybe Akers is a better fit and compliment to Henderson so that's why I like it. I believe RB needed to be addressed early because the impact a strong running game has on our offense and for Goff to succeed. Whit is back for another go, Corbett at LG is a former #33 overall pick, Blythe played well at center after late reshuffling, and I think the right side is the strength of this line with Edwards, Evans, and Havenstein.  Would not mind Biadasz today though.

Van Jefferson- I also just like it. I wanted Mims or Malk Harrison, but McVay and Snead are smarter than me. Son of a former NFL, good physical tools, but not elite athleticism. Doesn't seem to be highly valued by McVay if you look at Kupp and Woods. I think Van is Woods eventual successor and I wouldn't be shocked if we took another WR before the end of the draft (Quintez Cephus please). We still need a KR/PR type.

Terrell Lewis- Easily my favorite pick of the draft. If he can stay healthy, we got a steal in the 3rd. He can rotate with Oko/Ebukam/Floyd and potentially kick inside on some plays. We have a very versatile set of LB's in Floyd, Lewis, and even Natrez Patrick. It will be fun to see how it shakes out given  how inexperienced they are. Dark horse is Jachai Polite to make some noise. 1st or 2nd round talent when healthy 6'5 262lbs, he didn't run at the combine, but you have to guess he's in that 4.6-4.7 range. What better mentor than a guy who has worked with Khalil Mack and Von Miller.

Terrell Burgess- This one I'm the most uncertain on if I like it or not. I like his versatility to play safety or nickel, but only one year as a starter. Lauded for his preparation and intelligence at the position, great 40 time and decent size. Our 3 safety set of Johnson, Rapp, and Burgess will be fun to watch. 

Targets for round 4-7: ADG, Troy Dye, Biadasz, Harris. DO NOT be shocked if we take a QB. I think McVay wants someone to mold on his own and possibly use for future trade bait.

3 minutes ago, Flounch said:

What position did we improve this year ?

Defensive line (pretty obviously)

Running Back (can’t be much worse than what we put out there last year) Especially when it comes to health/fit

I’d argue LB, as I always though Fowler was a product of the guys in front of him and I’m pretty excited about Floyd + Lewis

Secondary continues to improve, but you would pretend that we didnt add one of, if not the best CB

But sure, we didn’t trade for a guy who sat out most of last year so we’re going backwards 

• Like 2

Guys I’m hoping for at 126:

Alton Robinson

Bradlee Anae

Nick Harris 

Tyler Biadasz

i don’t think there’s a ILB worth taking here and if we take another edge guy we can move Floyd to ILB (I actually saw a site last night post a depth chart after the Lewis selection that had Floyd listed there—definitely wasn’t official but still found it interesting)