1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

9 minutes ago, Sandy said:

They're really running with a joke comment he made when he was being badgered while teeing off?

Edit: I think they're a long, long shot. No real chance at happening. But they must be starved for news lol 

My question is how does he know this.  Did the Packers tell him he wasn't going there, or was he/his agent fishing around?

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think Rodgers and Love also share the same agency in Athletes First.

I would think the agency is trying to figure out how do they end up with both Love and Rodgers as starting QB's in 2023. No to Rodgers retiring. No to Love sitting for another year. 

• Like 1

https://packersnotes.com/2023/02/03/doing-nothing-with-love-is-best-option/

General manager Brian Gutekunst’s choice to pick up free safety Darnell Savage’s fifth-year option last May seemed highly questionable at the time. The former Maryland star was coming off his worst season and hadn’t come close to living up to expectations since being drafted 21st overall in 2019. Ten months, a benching, and a position change later, the decision looks downright stupid. The Packers are now stuck with an almost $8 million nickel corner or backup in 2023.

What makes the Savage saga even worse is how easy it was to avoid. Gutekunst could’ve allowed the 25-year-0ld to play out the final year of his rookie deal and then decided on whether to keep him or let him go. On the remote chance that Savage suddenly blossomed from a mediocre starter to a star, the Packers could’ve extended him at any time before the start of free agency in March or, if worse came to worst, slapped him with the franchise tag. The cost would be $12.4M, but paying him that after a Pro Bowl-caliber season would’ve been far more palatable than paying him $8M after a poor one.

Gutekunst has another fifth-year option to consider in May, and while many members of the media are making it seem like a difficult choice, it couldn’t be simpler. There’s absolutely no way he should guarantee Jordan Love $20M for 2024. Even if 39-year-0ld Aaron Rodgers retires or is traded in the coming weeks and the former No. 1 pick from Utah State is finally handed the keys to the car, the only decision that makes sense is to do nothing and see what transpires next season.

If Love bombs as the starter, there’s no harm done. He goes on his way, and Green Bay can draft his replacement with what would likely be a top-10 pick in 2024. And if he plays well or at least shows legitimate potential, Gutekunst has the option of extending him during the season or, if worse comes to worst, using the franchise tag to keep him from going to another team. Shelling out an extra $12M for the quarterback of the future would be a heck of a lot easier to accept than guaranteeing $20M to the next DeShone Kizer, the prospect Love reminded me of most while watching tape in 2020.

So what happens if the Packers decide to keep Rodgers around in 2023? In that scenario, Gutekunst could either trade Love in the coming months, attempt to sign him to a short-term extension to keep him from becoming a free agent a year from now, or simply let him walk after next season. The third option would be the least appealing, but plenty of No. 1 picks haven’t received a second contract from the team that drafted them, including a half-dozen quarterbacks since 2015.

OK, this is what I think should happen. What do I think will happen? My guess is that Gutekunst will exercise the fifth-year option. Doing otherwise would suggest trading up for Love was a big mistake, and all the crap with Rodgers that ensued from that decision was unnecessary. A strong and confident GM like Ron Wolf or Ted Thompson wouldn’t care about perception, but as Gutekunst showed by handing the underachieving Savage $8M, saving face seems to matter to him.

Edited by FAH1223

1 hour ago, FAH1223 said:

https://packersnotes.com/2023/02/03/doing-nothing-with-love-is-best-option/

General manager Brian Gutekunst’s choice to pick up free safety Darnell Savage’s fifth-year option last May seemed highly questionable at the time. The former Maryland star was coming off his worst season and hadn’t come close to living up to expectations since being drafted 21st overall in 2019. Ten months, a benching, and a position change later, the decision looks downright stupid. The Packers are now stuck with an almost $8 million nickel corner or backup in 2023.

What makes the Savage saga even worse is how easy it was to avoid. Gutekunst could’ve allowed the 25-year-0ld to play out the final year of his rookie deal and then decided on whether to keep him or let him go. On the remote chance that Savage suddenly blossomed from a mediocre starter to a star, the Packers could’ve extended him at any time before the start of free agency in March or, if worse came to worst, slapped him with the franchise tag. The cost would be $12.4M, but paying him that after a Pro Bowl-caliber season would’ve been far more palatable than paying him $8M after a poor one.

Gutekunst has another fifth-year option to consider in May, and while many members of the media are making it seem like a difficult choice, it couldn’t be simpler. There’s absolutely no way he should guarantee Jordan Love $20M for 2024. Even if 39-year-0ld Aaron Rodgers retires or is traded in the coming weeks and the former No. 1 pick from Utah State is finally handed the keys to the car, the only decision that makes sense is to do nothing and see what transpires next season.

If Love bombs as the starter, there’s no harm done. He goes on his way, and Green Bay can draft his replacement with what would likely be a top-10 pick in 2024. And if he plays well or at least shows legitimate potential, Gutekunst has the option of extending him during the season or, if worse comes to worst, using the franchise tag to keep him from going to another team. Shelling out an extra $12M for the quarterback of the future would be a heck of a lot easier to accept than guaranteeing $20M to the next DeShone Kizer, the prospect Love reminded me of most while watching tape in 2020.

So what happens if the Packers decide to keep Rodgers around in 2023? In that scenario, Gutekunst could either trade Love in the coming months, attempt to sign him to a short-term extension to keep him from becoming a free agent a year from now, or simply let him walk after next season. The third option would be the least appealing, but plenty of No. 1 picks haven’t received a second contract from the team that drafted them, including a half-dozen quarterbacks since 2015.

OK, this is what I think should happen. What do I think will happen? My guess is that Gutekunst will exercise the fifth-year option. Doing otherwise would suggest trading up for Love was a big mistake, and all the crap with Rodgers that ensued from that decision was unnecessary. A strong and confident GM like Ron Wolf or Ted Thompson wouldn’t care about perception, but as Gutekunst showed by handing the underachieving Savage $8M, saving face seems to matter to him.

I think this guy is @PackFan13, you can tell by his disdain for Jordan Love. 

On 2/3/2023 at 12:42 PM, Brat&Beer said:

I would be very surprised if Rodgers' agent ISN'T having conversations with teams about their level of interest in Rodgers.

Unless the Packers gave other teams their permission, that would be illegal and would be heavily punished.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Unless the Packers gave other teams their permission, that would be illegal and would be heavily punished.

Clearly the teams cannot initiate the call. But if the agents initiate the call, I suspect the team can find a way to communicate whether there is interest without creating evidence of tampering. I suspect that happened with the 49ers and Rodgers. 

At any rate, I suspect the Packers would probably be okay with it now if it happened. Maybe not last year or before.  

Just now, Brat&Beer said:

Clearly the teams cannot initiate the call. But if the agents initiate the call, I suspect the team can find a way to communicate whether there is interest without creating evidence of tampering. I suspect that happened with the 49ers and Rodgers. 

At any rate, I suspect the Packers would probably be okay with it now if it happened. Maybe not last year or before.  

That's still tampering.  If a player is under contract, they're not permitted to talk to other teams' players.

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

What is to stop a player from reaching out to a team?

I believe (and I might be wrong), but if an agent does that the team is require to report it.  If they don't and they're found to have tampered, they're just as guilty.