1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

3 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Early throw down the sideline that i believe resulted in PI is a pick in the NFL every time. Misses another guy wide on a corner the next drive. Throws an out late that gets picked in the NFL. When the game was on the line late his placement on multiple slants was just off and cost them first downs and the drive eventually ends with a tipped pass and a pick. There is more during the middle of the game that were just flat out misses but I don't feel like going back and rewatching that game for the 4th time since the season has ended to give timestamps. This isn't a one or two throw per game thing.

Come on, an underthrown deep ball down the sideline does not get picked in the NFL every time, especially when the CB has his back to the LOS.

Because he overthrew a deep corner route across the field, you have a problem with him? Did you watch out current QB try and throw deep this year??????

Do you have a time stamp on this supposed late out route?

What was late on that last drive? That second throw at 11:40 was stunningly beautiful? The third one where he rolls to his left and delivers to the sideline between his receiver's numbers?? The slant that was a drop wasn't a great throw, for sure, but if that's what you're focusing on on that drive, you've decided to be unhappy. The tipped pass was bad blitz pickup by the RB and a great play by the blitzer. 

24 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

It's good film overall. Yet the issues are still readily apparent. Do you not see evidence of ball placement inconsistency or being late on numerous reads? Because if that's the case then we don't agree.

Find any QB prospect’s tape where this isn’t the case. Hint, you won’t. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

The nature of complaining necessitates an offer for an alternative solution. Name your guy you wanted instead of Love so we can all judge your opinion in 5 years :)

I would call the arguments I've been making logical critiques not complaining.

I had a look to see if Tony Pauline had any rumors regarding Love to the Packers before the draft. I couldn't find anything but I did find one interesting tidbit.

Is there any chance Jordan Love is selected before Justin Herbert?
None. Herbert will not make it out of the top ten. The feedback I’m getting from people is Love will then end up anywhere as early as pick 19 (Raiders) or as late as pick 24 (Saints).

Pauline did link Miami with Love in one of his rumor mills but that was based on them not drafting a QB with their first pick. Had that happened there was a decent possibility Love would've been drafted at 18.

Otherwise the 19-24 range made sense. Oakland were rumored to be looking for a QB but they did not bite at 19. 

There was a potential for him to go to the Jags at 20 if they weren't 100% all in on Minshew. This did not happen.

The next two picks, Eagles and Vikings were highly unlikely to draft him. 

At 23 the Patriots could've easily have drafted him there and then but instead they chose to trade down. If they still had any interest in him then they probably had designs in place to trade up later on in the first round.

At 24 the Saints were rumored to be looking to draft Brees successor. They 100% had a shot at him but chose to draft a highly talented centre.

We now know (after the fact) that 26 and 27 were a possibility as Miami and Seattle were both looking to trade down. This was where teams like the Colts and Patriots could've traded up to nab him. Had the Packers stood pat at 30 there was a good chance we would've seen a team jump up ahead of us.

Apparently we had a framework of a deal in place with Seattle but the deal with Miami was better. Better how? I'm not sure? but since Miami is the higher pick -  I theorise it was "better" as it eliminated any possibility of a team trading up at 26 in order to get the man we wanted. Suppose we were not in discussions with Miami and were only focusing on a trade with Seattle it's likely we would've been caught out by surprise to see a team suddenly trade with Miami. It would've blown our arrangement with Seattle out of the water and lost the opportunity to draft Love. Miami was the wild card trade suitor and it was better for us to make a deal with them to eliminate any doubts of getting Love.

I think the Colts and Patriots were caught out by surprise because they probably felt confident trading up to get Love and didn't count on the Packers to get involved considering we had Rodgers under contract for 4 years. They may/may not have known we were interested but both they were in good position to jump ahead of us at 30. Both had the draft capital to trade up with Miami or Seattle but there was this one minor inconvenient detail...we had an advantage of a 1st round pick to trade which neither the Colts and Patriots had. Trading up was necessary to get what we wanted.

If the Patriots really wanted him then they got far too cute and should've drafted him at 23.

There is this another scenario not yet considered. Maybe the Patriots traded down because they weren't interested in Love but to acquire draft capital for a potential trade with the Colts for Brissett. For that to work the Colts had to trade up ahead of us and nab Love in order for them to be willing to part ways with Brissett.

The more I look into this the trade up was a necessary strategic move by us to get the player we wanted.

Listen to last 3 minutes of this. Jordan Palmer talking about J Love. Pat is saying 17 picks this guy is going to be in the Arena League. Palmer explains the context of those picks and why he is convinced J Love is worth a top 10 pick. At the beinning of the segment Palmer talks about the amount of work he does with college QBs, he sounds like he knows his onions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I wanted anyone other than the QB who I don't think is going to be a good pro. The bar is not high to beat that.

Come on Bullet, that’s a BS answer. Give me a name of a better pick if the Love pick was so bad. This, “well I don’t know who’s better but he’s a bad pick” makes for a bad argument. Who?

1 minute ago, MantyWrestler said:

Come on Bullet, that’s a BS answer. Give me a name of a better pick if the Love pick was so bad. This, “well I don’t know who’s better but he’s a bad pick” makes for a bad argument. Who?

Anyone left so he can pretend it's who he wanted years later

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Come on, an underthrown deep ball down the sideline does not get picked in the NFL every time, especially when the CB has his back to the LOS.

Because he overthrew a deep corner route across the field, you have a problem with him? Did you watch out current QB try and throw deep this year??????

Do you have a time stamp on this supposed late out route?

What was late on that last drive? That second throw at 11:40 was stunningly beautiful? The third one where he rolls to his left and delivers to the sideline between his receiver's numbers?? The slant that was a drop wasn't a great throw, for sure, but if that's what you're focusing on on that drive, you've decided to be unhappy. The tipped pass was bad blitz pickup by the RB and a great play by the blitzer. 

I edited my post on the underthrow because after thinking about it I realized that was more of a whiff then anything. Not a sure pick.

Strawman.

It's an out route that he gets away with by an inch because he has a strong arm. Probably within the first 5 mins.

He wasn't late at the end (meant late in the game, probably poor wording on my part), he was off on multiple throws. He did make a lot of nice throws in that game, including one slant late (assuming 11:40 is it), a sweet rollout early and a few shots throughout but that game is littered with bad misses too. Like I said, not going to rewatch it again but they won't be hard to find if you want to. 

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Fair enough. Substitute your words in for mine, and my point remains.

If we have to trade up, I'd rather have Patrick Queen. If we didn't give me Jones or trade down. 

Here you go @Norm, no pretending here.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Listen to last 3 minutes of this. Jordan Palmer talking about J Love. Pat is saying 17 picks this guy is going to be in the Arena League. Palmer explains the context of those picks and why he is convinced J Love is worth a top 10 pick. At the beinning of the segment Palmer talks about the amount of work he does with college QBs, he sounds like he knows his onions.

I love Pat but I’m not taking QB advice from a ******* punter. Also anyone who takes just a number and uses it to base an opinion on is an idiot. There’s always circumstances behind a number ESPECIALLY for INTs. Rodgers only threw what, 2 last season? And he was still a shell of himself.