2020 Day 2 NFL Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Good because you clearly don't understand what a good FO looks like.

Valuing the most important position in any sport, comparable to taking a punter early. One of the most laughably bad takes I've ever seen made.

We don't have a good front office right now.   You are the one not able to recognize this.  

The last two first rounds show they don't understand or value the draft in a way that allows them to maximize assets.   You don't give a QB with years left on his contract a huge pay increase, and then push him out the door with a ton of dead money, that you created, in the salary cap era.   it has nothing to do with how you value a position, it has to do with how you manage in a salary cap era.

The comparison to the punter was a way of pointing out how mismanaged this situation has been.   If you can't see that, it is your blindness not mine.  Your take is the one that is laughably blind.   

Should Gute have given Rodgers that contract extension and pay increase in hindsight?   Can you honestly say it was a good idea?   That is what GM's are paid to manage.

8 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Any GOOD guesses what Love’s rookie contract will look like?  We gonna have money to add some dudes who can help in 2020-2022?

Slightly better than this since his draft slot was 6 spots higher and two years of inflation. Bottom line roughly 2.5 - 2.75 a year for 4 years on average. Then of course you have the 5th year option. That will be probably 25+ when it's all said and done. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000935824/article/lamar-jackson-signs-rookie-contract-with-ravens

Moving on to day 2, Pittman and Van Jefferson became a lot more appealing. Feel those are guys without as much upside of the likes of Mims or Hamler, but feel they give you more of the instant contribution. Not saying I take them over mims, but their stock has gone up

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Watched a bit of the WRs. I'm very intrigued by DPJ. Elite physical tools but shackled by bad, bad QB play. Offers immediate contribution as a returner as well.

Do we like him?

Depends on who the "we" is in your question.    There are some that do, others that do not.

5 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

We don't have a good front office right now.   You are the one not able to recognize this.  

The last two first rounds show they don't understand or value the draft in a way that allows them to maximize assets.   You don't give a QB with years left on his contract a huge pay increase, and then push him out the door with a ton of dead money, that you created, in the salary cap era.   it has nothing to do with how you value a position, it has to do with how you manage in a salary cap era.

The comparison to the punter was a way of pointing out how mismanaged this situation has been.   If you can't see that, it is your blindness not mine.  Your take is the one that is laughably blind.   

Should Gute have given Rodgers that contract extension and pay increase in hindsight?   Can you honestly say it was a good idea?   That is what GM's are paid to manage.

Absolutely, Rodgers is a franchise QB and the guaranteed starter of this football team for 2 more years. He's going to start, and start at a high level. No brainer to pay him.

The last two first rounds they've taken a pass rusher, a centerfield S and a QB. On a list on things I'd want to have an "elite" talent on, all 3 of those things are top 5 on my list along with franchise LT and stud CB. What they've taken is literally the definition of maximizing value of assets, they've taken premium athletes at 3 premium positions. Taking ILBs, WRs, and TEs like our blind fanbase wants is the reason we have these men making a lot of money running our franchise and most of you are posting on a forum from your 9-5. 

If this is mismanaged, how would YOU manage it? Think we should've Elwayed the last few years of Rodgers career, end up in cap hell, suck for 4-5 years afterwards and hope you can start over? I can respect that because a championship is that valuable. I wouldn't be mad if they went that route, but I'm clearly intelligent enough to see that a sporting franchise that is also a financial entity might not be willing to sacrifice 4 years for 1 big one, instead going for a chance at a ring in all 5 of the years. Believe it or not a few years into that "suck" the fanbase starts to forget that championship and starts to put the pressure back on management to get back there. 

17 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

There are a ton of good ILBs that are supposed to go in the 3rd.

Good cause we're probably gonna need somebody.

Kirksey:
2014-2017: he played in 16 games each year. Started 32 straight games 2016-2017.
2018: 7 games
2019: 2 games
What player will we get in 2020-2021? The 16 game guy (?) or the cant stay on the field guy?

Burks: A part timer. His lack of health and performance has kept him from being a consistent contributor.
2018 - 14 games played
2019 - 12 games played

Bolton:  Under contract 2020-2022. RFA in 2023.
2018 - no games played.
There's nowhere to go but up. Cant count him out. Cant make a solid judgement what he might bring.

Summers: A ST guy. Under contract 2020-2022. UFA in 2023.

There might be a body on the PS....but who knows.

Say what you will about Martinez's performance....but he was on the field all the time. Granted, we didnt go two ILBs with great frequency (I dont consider guys like Green ILBs) - but we're gonna need to replace Martinez's snaps (at least). 

Acme Packing - Here’s a list of the 40 best guys left on the board before Round 2 starts.

Josh Jones OT Houston
Trevon Diggs CB Alabama
Tee Higgins WR Clemson
Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
Zach Baun LB Wisconsin
Antoine Winfield Jr. S Minnesota
A.J. Epenesa DE Iowa
Michael Pittman Jr. WR USC
K’Von Wallace DB Clemson
Jake Fromm QB Georgia
Kristian Fulton CB LSU
Xavier McKinney DB Alabama
K.J. Hamler WR Penn State
Jack Driscoll OT Auburn
Denzel Mims WR Baylor
Jonathan Taylor RB Wisconsin
Chase Claypool TE/WR Notre Dame
Josh Uche LB Michigan
Laviska Shenault WR Colorado
Prince Tega Wanogho OT Auburn
Bryan Edwards WR South Carolina
J.K. Dobbins RB Ohio State
Antonio Gibson RB Memphis
Terrell Lewis EDGE Alabama
Grant Delpit S LSU
Lucas Niang OT TCU
Bryce Hall CB Virginia
Darrell Taylor EDGE Tennessee
Cole Kmet TE Notre Dame
Akeem Davis-Gaither LB App. State
Jeremy Chinn LB/S Southern Illinois
Hunter Bryant TE Washington
Justin Maduibuike DT Texas A&M
Yetur Gross-Matos EDGE Penn State
Troy Dye LB Oregon
Julian Okwara EDGE Notre Dame
Cam Akers RB Florida State
Raekown Davis DT Alabama
Willie Gay Jr. LB Mississippi State
Donovan Peoples-Jones WR Michigan

What players and/or positions would you want addressed today?

1 minute ago, PackerLegend said:

Getting Love is fine, but WASTING a 4th to get him where I am pretty sure would of been there at 30, we could have used that pick to move up and get a really good WR which will probably not be there late in the 2nd. 

It's mostly a "if you're sitting there at 30, and the 20th pick comes in and there's only 4-5 guys left you would be willing to draft in the first round period, wouldn't you want to move up to make sure you get one of them?"