Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

24 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Hope you're right.   For MVS to become the Packer's #2, he'd have to massively improve this year; just don't see it happening that fast.  Improvement from within on this team including Funchess is key.  That being said, I believe TE/HB improvement in MLF's offense this year will become just as or more important!

I think more of the problem is he lost his confidence and had a mental block the rest of the year. 

In the first 7 games he had above 45 yards 5 times.  He averaged 59 yards a game in that stretch. Taking out his highest and lowest games during then (132 and 18) he averaged 53 yards a game. 

If MVS averaged 53 yards a game that’s about 850 yards. Every Packer fan would LOVE that. Hell , if he averaged 45 yards a game that’s 720 yards. I would still be over the moon for our second option getting that. 

7 games idt is an I significant amount of data. It’s pretty much half of the year. I think that’s enough to say he can do that the entire year. Does he have to prove he can, absolutely. I do think he already has it in him to be the second option we need. It’s going to come down to his mental makeup. Can he bounce back from severe adversity .

Packers Wire from last year: rookie review on EQ

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/19/packers-rookie-review-wr-equanimeous-st-brown/

Season recap, future outlook

Arguably no rookie on the roster improved more from the start of the season to the finish than St. Brown, who gradually earned more playing time and at times was terrific late in the season. His combination of size and silky smooth movement ability allows him to operate both as a perimeter receiver and in the slot, where it’s possible he’ll provide the biggest impact as his career unfolds. He might also be the best blocking receiver on the roster. His raw talent is obvious and it was clear Aaron Rodgers got more and more comfortable throwing him the football as the season developed. A connection could be forming there. Of the three receivers drafted by the Packers last season, St. Brown may now have the highest ceiling. A big jump this offseason would put him in contention to be the No. 2 receiver come September."

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Packers WRs gonna be doing even more blocking in 2020, here's a clip from last year vs minny

It's dominant not dominate in this context, Mr. Eye in the Sky.

I know it's a bit grammar-nazi, but there are certain mistakes you see over and over. Packer names we all (should) know, though some still get them wrong. If you're a gamer, you'll know about how often rogue is spelt rouge. Another one seen less often  is perse or even per say instead of per se. I guess the lockdown is bringing out OCD. Anyway, that's enough off-topic.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

It's interesting how far some of those guys are running for some of those blocks.  

In the Deguara presser, Gute talked about "movement" blocking, and how much MLF values that.  (And that Deguara is good at it.)

As deathstar noted, it's kind of intriguing to imagine a fast power guy like Dillon being out on the run and taking out safeties who aren't as big as he is, or ILB who maybe are the same or perhaps not even quite as big as he is.  

A couple excellent blocks in that clip were by Kumerow.   I think Alex has mentioned that he might be our best blocking WR.  I wouldn't necessarily rule him out for roster.  

Likewise Tonyan had a couple of good ones in there.  I think MLF has mentioned him as a good movement blocker in past, too.  

Hopefully some WR who can block can also go out and catch some passes, and keep the defense from crowding the run to huge excess.  

14 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Hence why I doubt we were overly interested in Reagor or Aiyuk. Why go small and fast when you can go big and fast?

We must know something the rest of the league doesn't then....because a lot of team have smaller, shifty WRs. 

Big/lanky WRs might have good long speed but tend to struggle coming out of breaks, rounding off routes and generally are more "fast" than "quick" which is why they struggle more with short/intermediate routes where that quickness and cutting creates separation. Exhibit A: MVS. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

We must know something the rest of the league doesn't then....because a lot of team have smaller, shifty WRs. 

Big/lanky WRs might have good long speed but tend to struggle coming out of breaks, rounding off routes and generally are more "fast" than "quick" which is why they struggle more with short/intermediate routes where that quickness and cutting creates separation. Exhibit A: MVS. 

In a passing offense, most teams like smaller, shifty Wr's?  It's evident the Packers are looking to run the ball more and like bigger blocking types with some speed who can also catch the ball off play action.  

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 9:59 AM, {Family Ghost} said:

Let's hope one of these #3's or #4's actually becomes a #2 this year.  They all have the talent to get there, but it would be awesome if one of them would seize the moment and take it to another level.  

I wouldn't hold your breath. Our best shot, really by far, at a No. 2 caliber WR currently on the roster is Funchess. I don't even think you put MVS in that conversation as I think he's going to be relegated to more of your deep threat guy. Lazard is probably a year removed from that type of jump after some mid/late season production last year, but could be a sleeper there. St. Brown is probably the best candidate but I don't think people are really considering how difficult that kind of jump will be for him after missing an entire season last year. If he had played last season and made some strides, maybe you make that prediction about him, but the guy didn't even play football last year. He's going into this 3rd season with basically less than half of one season of playing time under his belt. Think you have to temper your expectations there. 

Edited by packfanfb