Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

Just now, Leader said:

Okay. I've not been around and reading in depth. Perhaps I've lost a sense of the rat-atat-tat back and forth.

Yeah, this dude is out here wildin' out. I'm pretty sure he's just a sad dude who wants a pat on the head for being right about his prediction that Kumerow would make the team over Moore, but it's hard to tell with this weird type of trolling. It's a new strain. Evolving very rapidly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yeah, this dude is out here wildin' out. I'm pretty sure he's just a sad dude who wants a pat on the head for being right about his prediction that Kumerow would make the team over Moore, but it's hard to tell with this weird type of trolling. It's a new strain. Evolving very rapidly.

Honestly there's more than one person on this forum who witnessed how incredibly low he was on Adams and Bakhtiari early in their careers. I have no idea why a pat on the back would help him at this point lol

11 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Honestly there's more than one person on this forum who witnessed how incredibly low he was on Adams and Bakhtiari early in their careers. I have no idea why a pat on the back would help him at this point lol

When you've gotta dig into "he said/she said" concerning J'Mon Moore, you have too much free time.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I still don't give Adams enough credit and have zero reasons why that is

Punish yourself. Go sit in the corner facing the walls for a half hour...in silence.
Do that and all will be forgiven/forgotten. Never happened.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

When you've gotta dig into "he said/she said" concerning J'Mon Moore, you have too much free time.

To be fair, when you're being called a liar for mentioning that some people were high on him, it's worth the time.  

All I  did was point out that the some hd the same sort of excitement going into last year about the position group and we couldn't have been anymore wrong.  We replaced Allison with Funchess, 2 players in their primes who couldn't get anything more than small 1 year deals (GMO the vet min/ Funchess 1 million guaranteed).

I think the biggest concern is you didn't come out of a loaded class with a player.  The flip side of it is that you still have 2 promising draft picks and Lazard.  This team is at odds with itself though.  It's very "jack of all trades" vibes out of 1265 for me over the past 12-18 months.

I think the Packers had the appetite for a starter/difference maker at WR in this draft.  They just didn't have the appetite for a project, since they have enough of those in house and have seen a lot recently.  There was just a finite supply of starter/difference maker types in the draft, and 7 of them went before they first picked.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think the Packers had the appetite for a starter/difference maker at WR in this draft.  They just didn't have the appetite for a project, since they have enough of those in house and have seen a lot recently.  There was just a finite supply of starter/difference maker types in the draft, and 7 of them went before they first picked.

This ^

As a heads up, this is pretty unfocused, but for the sake of discussion I'm posting it anyway.  Here's something I've been thinking about a lot since the draft, because I was hoping to get clarity on it and it didn't happen:

Do you think they intended to build a receiving room full of giants, or did it just sort of happen?  I mean, clearly there was some level of intent there: Gute drafted 3 receivers, and they were all 6'3"+.  He picked Lazard off the Jacksonville practice squad, which means they went after him deliberately.  They signed Funchess in FA.  

But they also reportedly tried to get Emmanuel Sanders and seemed to have been high on Aiyuk.  They kept Darrius Sheperd on the initial 53 over Lazard.  Sure, that last one was probably just for ST since even then Gute must have been planning a trade for Davis, but still.  For all the decisions targeting their room of small forwards, they've also clearly tried to find some guys who don't fit the profile as well.  

I just can't really seem to get a feel for what the plan is with the group at large.  Having 5 of your best 6 receivers all stand 6'4"+ is a really specific niche, and if it wasn't built intentionally you have to wonder how they plan to make it work.  They must be just over the moon to have Davante, because he bails a lot of play designs out just by existing.  There's a lot of route combos that should be super dangerous with Tae that I really wouldn't want to run if it was Lazard/MVS/Funchess on the field.  EQ helps as he can run more of it than any of the rest of them, but even he's still somewhat limited by his size.

This all + the drafting of Dillon makes me wonder if we'll see Jones in the slot more this year.  You can run double 21 sets with Jones/Dillon that can easily become a very potent 11 set just by walking Jones out.  They did some of that with Jones/Williams this year already, but having an extra big back on roster opens it up even more.  Sure it's not the same as having an actual slot in terms of the routes you can have him run, but he draws the attention of the defense since there's no way they want to let him get the ball in space with that receiving corps out there.  Jones with one man to beat and Lazard/Funchess blocking ahead of him is a DC's nightmare scenario.

Feels at this point like the whole thing really comes down to Adams.  He needs to bring his A+ game, because this thing will probably go how he goes to an extent.  Having this many big body athletes who can run out there is basically begging you to set Tae up with all kinds of motion and stacked sets, and let him eat behind the big guys.  If defenses start sitting in short zones to stop it, hit Lazard on the skinny post or MVS on anything downfield.  Rinse and repeat.  Nothing is ever that simple, but if you're looking at it on paper, I feel like that's how you start drawing it up.  Adams is capable of handling the load and the demands since he can run basically anything at a high level at this point, but he has to stay healthy and the team will need Aaron to be more consistent downfield.

• Like 1

I still say trade for AJ Green. Be nice if Higgins has a great rookie year. Isn’t Green on the franchise for a 1yr? But I read an article how Packers WR usually get going in their 3rd year. Lazard has one of the better 2nd years of WR we’ve had so I expect him to take a big jump hopefully into the 70rec 800-900 yards 7-8TD. Our office obviously likes what we have and we gotta realize that we’re young there. I would of loved to get a WR but we can’t assure that they are better than what we have. 
if healthy

1. Adams 

2. Lazard 

3. Funchess

4. Kumerow

5. Valdez-Scatling 

6. Shepard

7. St. Brown

im hoping St. Brown is that diamond in the rough and moves up to WR 3-4 by next year.

also with adding Dillon we can see Jones lineup as a WR a lot. He’s prob just as good as a WR as he is at RB