Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

25 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Do you think they intended to build a receiving room full of giants

When Jordy was contorting his body and reeling in outside passes, one comment I read talked about the field being 3 feet wider for the AR-Nelson combo and that it was near- impossible to cover. The article also talked about Rodgers' preference for attacking outside vs over the middle and having all these tall guys at WR might help the perimeter game.

You also hit on the blocking angle and Lazard showed his mettle there last season.
There is also the consideration that larger WRs can hold up on STs better than their more diminutive peers.
No clue if it was part of a master plan or happenstance but its quite the stable

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SSG said:

To be fair, when you're being called a liar for mentioning that some people were high on him, it's worth the time.  

All I  did was point out that the some hd the same sort of excitement going into last year about the position group and we couldn't have been anymore wrong.  We replaced Allison with Funchess, 2 players in their primes who couldn't get anything more than small 1 year deals (GMO the vet min/ Funchess 1 million guaranteed).

UDFA versus second round pick.

Funchess has a lot more upside than GMO.

I mean, if looking at the two, the first time Funchess hit the market, he got a 1 year, $10M deal from the Colts.  GMO got 1 year, $910,000.  That should tell you about the talent level between the two.

Don't get me wrong, I"m not excited about this receiving corp.  But, with how the draft fell, I get it.  And resigned to having to hope, again, for a big time jump from ESB or MVS.  Guess I feel like Lazard is pretty solid and that Funchess at least has production in the NFL.  I really wish we would get someone different in that WR room, but right now, we have to have the biggest WR corp in the NFL.  Now we have to see if it works.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Was very disappointed that the pack did not draft a WR. Who are the breakout candidates for yall this year?

ESB or Funchess. If ESB put the work in since his sprained ankle he could be a high end #2. He put up some great reps in 2018 as a rookie. 

If he doesn't, Funchess should default to the #2 role. Won't know until camp.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

ESB or Funchess. If ESB put the work in since his sprained ankle he could be a high end #2. He put up some great reps in 2018 as a rookie. 

If he doesn't, Funchess should default to the #2 role. Won't know until camp.

Would your rather have the Cowboys trio (Cooper, Gallup, Lamb) or the Packers defense? 

11 hours ago, YaddaHolla said:

Would your rather have the Cowboys trio (Cooper, Gallup, Lamb) or the Packers defense? 

Not that a WR group is more important but if we are just talking quality i would take the Cowboys trio. I don’t feel like there are much weaknesses as a group for the Cowboys.I think we have a very suspect running defense but very good passing D

I'd be willing to argue (with obviously no way to prove it) that Funchess does more for this team this year than any rookie could've. We know how notorious Rodgers is for not utilizing rookie receivers. It takes time for him to develop trust that they're going to be where they're supposed to when they're supposed to be. Funchess comes in as a young talent with 4 years of experience who's put up some decent production playing with arguably the least accurate starting QB in the NFL. He knows what he's looking at and where he's supposed to be; it shouldn't take long for he and Rodgers to gel

His career path is very similar to James Jones. It wasn't until four or five years in Jones broke out and given everything we heard out of Colts camp last summer, perhaps it was starting to happen for Funchess. He was a 20 year old TE when drafted. He was always going to be a project. I don't really see any reason he cant be a very solid #2 (800 yards, 6 TDs) for Rodgers and GB.

Eh.  Jones had 670 yards in his rookie season.  And never cracked 1000.  He usually hovered  around 650 yards every season.  I'm not sure he ever really "broke out".  He was just consistent and reliable as a #3 WR.  

(Note, he did have an 890 yard season, his last one, and a 440 yard season.  High and Low.  Add them up, divide by two....  :) )

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

They look pretty intimidating getting off of the bus.

The smallest guy is Shepard (who I was surprised to learn was still on the team and dont expect will make the 2020 roster) @ 5'11" (I wont mention his weight as its Bantam class....) - next in line: Davante @ 6'1" / 215#

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Eh.  Jones had 670 yards in his rookie season.  And never cracked 1000.  He usually hovered  around 650 yards every season.  I'm not sure he ever really "broke out".  He was just consistent and reliable as a #3 WR.  

(Note, he did have an 890 yard season, his last one, and a 440 yard season.  High and Low.  Add them up, divide by two....  :) )

I guess when I say broke out, I meant more when he was deemed a starter the production became more consistent. Once that happened, he averaged just under 800 yards and 8 TDs. If we get that out of Funchess, and I don't see why we can't, coupled with 1200 and 10 from Adams, that doesn't a leave a lot of meat on the bone for the rest, especially as we gear towards running more.