2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

14 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m not advocating for Barmore or not.  Im Just saying it seems Iike A lot of posters who support his drafting in round 1 may not have watched enough tape on him..... it is early in the draft process.  Barmore’s got a ton of potential but he’s far from refined and his success has been aided by scheme.

Look at OLB/DE Azeez Ojulari.... that guy is a premier outside pas rusher and his scheme had him sacrificing to free up the other DLmen probably more then they did for him.  You gotta consider these things when watching tape.

I think that Mayock, especially with his early draft choices, has fallen into the habit of reaching on guys to fit a need and we've ended up with low ceiling/average floor players like Ferrell, Arnette, and Abram. 

We'll see how Barmore tests/measures at their pro day and I agree that he is far from a finished product. He wasn't even a starter in 2019 and had a very slow start to the 2020 season. I agree that he benefited from scheme and has a lot to work on, mainly getting better/stronger with his leverage so he that he can be more effective against the run as well as becoming more diverse with his pass rushing techniques. But on the positive side I think he has prototypical size and length, uses his hands very well, and has an excellent blend of strength, quickness, acceleration, and bend. 

At the end of the day Barmore only played 747 snaps at Alabama and is one of the youngest prospects in the draft, so of course you wouldn't expect him to be refined. That's what makes him an even more intriguing prospect to me, despite being pretty raw he played his best when the lights were the brightest and had 12 pressures and 2 sacks in the CFP. And absolutely ate against Josh Myers and Wyatt Davis who will be first/second round picks as interior OL from Ohio State

@jimkelly02 Alabama defensive linemen have translated pretty damn well to the next level. And I definitely agree that Barmore is raw but why hire and hype up a guy like Rod Marinelli if he isn't going to be able to take a guy like Barmore with special physical traits and coach him up? Kolton Miller wasn't very good in college but he had traits and Cable has been able to coach him up into one of the better LT in the league. 

We've seen this story just a couple of years ago when we took Ferrell over guys like Burns, Allen, and Sweat because he was more refined and NFL ready. The NFL draft isn't about what guys are right now, it's about what they can be going forward. If you believe in your coaching staff, especially Rod M, who Gruden hyped to be the DL coaching god, I think a guy like Barmore makes sense for us. If we could land him in the 2nd I'd be ecstatic but I also wouldn't be mad if we took him at #17. 

There might be some growing pains early and he certainly needs to improve on a lot of things. But the physical tools are there and as I said before you have to assume he will improve as he gets more reps on the field. Kolton Miller legitimately had the worst season for a starting rookie LT in NFL history and has become a player for us. 

I'd be happy with Azeez as well, I just hope whoever we take is a high ceiling type prospect. I'm tired of reaching on guys with limited upside early in the draft. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Time to officially look seriously at RTs.... TBs absolutely on his way to being cut.  He’s removed all Raiders images from IG according to The Raiders Report on YT and posted several Patriot images recently and was “working out” aka posing for a photo on a stationary bike in full Boston clothing.  Don’t let the door hit your tub o lard butt on the way out!

Theres soooo many very very good prospects in rounds 2-3 right now.  We can find a 10 year starter to pair with Miller.  It’ll be very valuable to have one OT on a cheap rookie deal while the Miller gets his second contract and gets paid 16-18M.

I wish we would've kept David Sharpe around as depth, maybe Brandon Parker emerges as that guy finally? Daryl Williams could be an option in free agency for us and would be much cheaper than Brown. I know Orlando Brown wants out of Baltimore so that he can play LT but I think that has more to do with making LT money then actually playing LT, so maybe we could make a trade for him and give him LT money despite him playing RT like we did with Trent.

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I wish we would've kept David Sharpe around as depth, maybe Brandon Parker emerges as that guy finally? 

Sharpe is a FA so we could bring him back.  Parker is good for the left side but I will just turn off the game if I see him on the right.

7 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Sharpe is a FA so we could bring him back.  Parker is good for the left side but I will just turn off the game if I see him on the right.

We could probably sign Daryl Williams to a pretty reasonable deal. Or even bring back Sharpe or a stop gap veteran like Kelviin Beachum or Mike Remmers while taking a developmental RT in the middle rounds. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think that Mayock, especially with his early draft choices, has fallen into the habit of reaching on guys to fit a need and we've ended up with low ceiling/average floor players like Ferrell, Arnette, and Abram. 

We'll see how Barmore tests/measures at their pro day and I agree that he is far from a finished product. He wasn't even a starter in 2019 and had a very slow start to the 2020 season. I agree that he benefited from scheme and has a lot to work on, mainly getting better/stronger with his leverage so he that he can be more effective against the run as well as becoming more diverse with his pass rushing techniques. But on the positive side I think he has prototypical size and length, uses his hands very well, and has an excellent blend of strength, quickness, acceleration, and bend. 

At the end of the day Barmore only played 747 snaps at Alabama and is one of the youngest prospects in the draft, so of course you wouldn't expect him to be refined. That's what makes him an even more intriguing prospect to me, despite being pretty raw he played his best when the lights were the brightest and had 12 pressures and 2 sacks in the CFP. And absolutely ate against Josh Myers and Wyatt Davis who will be first/second round picks as interior OL from Ohio State

I put absolutely 0 faith in last season. With players and teams opting out and a short schedule how do we even know if he would of started in a regular year??

Just now, Geezy said:

we just spent 22m on our RT last season, its a premium position. 

which was stupid and shown on the field. That 22m should have been used on the defense. Gruden was desperate to fix the OL and overpaid Trent Brown 2 years ago, he also wanted insurance for Kolton Miller. At the time, Miller was far from a sure thing, and Brown had experience as LT. 

I may be in the minority, but I feel like RT will be an easier fix than we think. Trent Brown was overpaid, he did nothing to earn that money. But, when he was in the lineup, we were fine enough given the uncertainty at other OL spots. We don't need a splash there, we need someone to replace Brown's on-field product, not his previous reputation as "one of the best". 

Truth be told, I think it becomes more of a non-issue as time progresses. Given the money we spent, we all wanted, if not expected, a top notch OL. We didn't get that, but we were hardly absolute trash. Odd as it sounds, I trust Cable to get more out of his unit than any other positional coach we have. I still like some of the potential round 4 guys. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I may be in the minority, but I feel like RT will be an easier fix than we think. Trent Brown was overpaid, he did nothing to earn that money. But, when he was in the lineup, we were fine enough given the uncertainty at other OL spots. We don't need a splash there, we need someone to replace Brown's on-field product, not his previous reputation as "one of the best". 

Truth be told, I think it becomes more of a non-issue as time progresses. Given the money we spent, we all wanted, if not expected, a top notch OL. We didn't get that, but we were hardly absolute trash. Odd as it sounds, I trust Cable to get more out of his unit than any other positional coach we have. I still like some of the potential round 4 guys. 

I agree with you.  I'm okay with D. Good or a day 2-3 pick filling in at RT.  Just need to make sure it's the right player.  I'm okay with throwing them into the fire like we did with K. Miller.  I think RT is an issue we need to address, just not high on the priority list right now.  The defense is.  Clearly.  If we do resign Good and Inc comes back, LT, LG, C, and RG are all set.  I'm not too worried about a rookie RT having some growing pains.  Just need to game plan accordingly.

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

I agree with you.  I'm okay with D. Good or a day 2-3 pick filling in at RT.  Just need to make sure it's the right player.  I'm okay with throwing them into the fire like we did with K. Miller.  I think RT is an issue we need to address, just not high on the priority list right now.  The defense is.  Clearly.  If we do resign Good and Inc comes back, LT, LG, C, and RG are all set.  I'm not too worried about a rookie RT having some growing pains.  Just need to game plan accordingly.

Yup. We turned Miller, who we almost all saw as a reach, into one of the better LTs pretty quickly. We may as well look for an average FA for depth, draft a guy, and let him sink or swim. Whether that player starts in 2021, 2022, or we stash them until 2023, his first starts will be baptism by fire anyway. It's not like we have the players on D to go up against in practice right now to soften that while a guy waits his turn. 

I'm hoping we can flip a guy or two into some late day 2, early day 3 picks. 2 or 3 more of those and we could be in line for some steals at RT and RG. 

• Like 1