2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I'm completely onboard with this.  Better to have multiple darts to hit the target than just one.  

Exactly!  Plus I’ve always felt and have seen it turn out to be true that the 3-5th round is where you get your top End backups who can be starters in time.  The Moreau type picks.  It’s a big advantage to have a guy like Moreau on a rookie deal vs paying 3-4M for a backup Te.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Well crap man.  Go apply for the scouting department.  We clearly need your help.  Lol.  Man would that be an awesome job to have.

I would do it for minimum wage, good benefits, free food.  I would just day trade in my free time.  

• Like 1

Just now, drfrey13 said:

I would do it for minimum wage, good benefits, free food.  I would just day trade in my free time.  

Seriously.  If the job arose after my time in the military, I would fly straight there the day after I retired.  Sit in a janitor's closet, probably happier than I've ever been.  Bring my own desk, computer, phone, everything.  Just do it.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I think we have wanted to move back in several drafts and this was definitely one of them.  Ferrell at no point in time was worth the 4th pick overall.  I didn't want any of the players projected to us at the 4th pick.  I think we all knew after the first pick everyone else was essentially rated around the same level of play.  It was essentially a gamble at who was going to pan out and who wasn't.  A lot of posters were banging the table for explosive DEs (Sweat, Burns, Allen) and we went for the guy who didn't run the 40.  I knew going into this draft I was not going to be happy with whoever we picked if we picked at 4.  Ferrell will be a serviceable player but he won't be picked up for his 5th year option and if he is resigned, will be resigned at a deal making 3-4M a season.  Even at his best I do not think he will ever be a double digit sack artist.

Ferrel was my 3rd ranked player on the Clemson d-line.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Damn that's bad.  It sucks that they collectively made each other look all like top 10 picks.  You break them off into DLs on other college teams and I think their worth would have been properly adjusted.

22 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I wish I love coaching tho hopefully this Covid ends soon so I can stop bothering y’all so much

I know right.  I used to coach my son's sports teams but haven't been able to do that in over a year.  I can't wait to have my kids active again and back in school.  And actually able to sit in restaurants.

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I wish I love coaching tho hopefully this Covid ends soon so I can stop bothering y’all so much

I think Jerry was being serious about it helping the team.  I still think a group from here could do better than our last few FO's and coaches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I think Jerry was being serious about it helping the team.  I still think a group from here could do better than our last few FO's and coaches.

Yeah.  I am serious about it helping the team.  Sadly us couch potatoes don't get the job because we don't have the resume or connections lol.  This would be a heck of a war room hypothetically.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Seriously.  If the job arose after my time in the military, I would fly straight there the day after I retired.  Sit in a janitor's closet, probably happier than I've ever been.  Bring my own desk, computer, phone, everything.  Just do it.

It’d probably be the worst job ever actually.... because you’d put the work in, know we should draft and sign after doing the research, then be ignored as they draft/sign some bum.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Same, but the context matters. Christian Wilkins and Dexter Lawrence were studs. Positional value was higher for Ferrell, but Lawrence was my favorite. I would have expected the order for being drafted to be roughly teens for all three though just due to edge v. 3t v. nose.

Edited by Trojan

40 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Same, but the context matters. Christian Wilkins and Dexter Lawrence were studs. Positional value was higher for Ferrell, but Lawrence was my favorite. I would have expected the order for being drafted to be roughly teens for all three though just due to edge v. 3t v. nose.

Positional value definitely played into it.  You could see that the interior is what made that defense go.  I think if we get Tomlinson and a good 3T I believe Ferrel would look a lot better.

• Like 1