2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

We will find out what kind of GM we have after this years draft, last year he did ok. It is still hard to figure how Bill Pacells, in 1997 turn around a 1-15 team in one year to a 9-7 team and the next went 12-5 and took the Jets to the conference championship game. Douglas has five picks in the first 90  or so in this years draft.

Edited by doumeyer

27 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

We will find out what kind of GM we have after this years draft, last year he did ok. It is still hard to figure how Bill Pacells, in 1997 turn around a 1-15 team in one year to a 9-7 team and the next went 12-5 and took the Jets to the conference championship game. Douglas has five picks in the first 90  or so in this years draft.

JD is putting a lot of pressure on himself to hit on more picks this year than last

27 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

It would be unfair to expect that type of turn around from Douglas as well as any GM.  Possible but unfair none the less.  We have lots of holes to fill on offence and defense.   It will take at least 2 good drafts to fill most.  Takes time.  I hate to project, but 5 wins this season and 8-9 wins following season would be a success.  That would indicate good drafts, solid work by GM and coach, and good player development.  These factors support solid trendline with minimal up and down years.

Just want to see everyones opinion.   Suppose we traded #2 to Carolina for #8 & #39 this year as well as first round next year, who would people like to select at #8, #23, #34, #39 and #66.  My picks would be :

#8   Pitts

#23  Best CB

#34 IOL/OT

#39 IOL/OT

#66  CB

I know I am doubling up on #34 and #39 but that would give us very strong OL.  This gives Darnold more time for reads, strengthens running game and improves WR performance.

Doubling up on CB at #23 and #66 improves a very weak position.  Also CB may not have high success rate.

42 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

It is still hard to figure how Bill Pacells, in 1997 turn around a 1-15 team in one year to a 9-7 team and the next went 12-5 and took the Jets to the conference championship game

He then followed that up with an 8-8 season. Then he bolted. He did a decent job of setting this team up.

Unfortunately, Broadway was hired as GM followed by Tanny. IIRC both traded draft picks in favor of FA and traded for players.  It has kind of been that way ever since. Idzik was the exception. He did not spend and completely sucked in draft picking. Set us back even more. 

4 hours ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

Just want to see everyones opinion.   Suppose we traded #2 to Carolina for #8 & #39 this year as well as first round next year, who would people like to select at #8, #23, #34, #39 and #66.  My picks would be :

#8   Pitts

#23  Best CB

#34 IOL/OT

#39 IOL/OT

#66  CB

I know I am doubling up on #34 and #39 but that would give us very strong OL.  This gives Darnold more time for reads, strengthens running game and improves WR performance.

Doubling up on CB at #23 and #66 improves a very weak position.  Also CB may not have high success rate.

Only change is maybe a LB at 39 or 66. Saleh loves fast sideline to sideline guys in his defense and we’re currently rostering 3/4 bigger line backers. Someone like Bolton, Cox, Jamin Davis or McGrone from Michigan fit the bill. Or Zaven Collins with one of our seconds if he falls. But I’d love Pitts and then OL and CB help early. 

Edited by JohnnyHectorFan

2 hours ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Only change is maybe a LB at 39 or 66. Saleh loves fast sideline to sideline guys in his defense and we’re currently rostering 3/4 bigger line backers. Someone like Bolton, Cox, Jamin Davis or McGrone from Michigan fit the bill. Or Zaven Collins with one of our seconds if he falls. But I’d love Pitts and then OL and CB help early. 

I have heard that the draft is extremely weak in edge rushers that is why I did not mention in picks I listed.  #66 sounds right.  I have looked at mocks on key sites and they have Pitts going anywhere from #4 to #15.

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

I’m all in for Jayce Horn. If he drops out of the top 15 I’m all for moving up for him

From some of the mocks the top 3 CBs may be gone between 12 and 15.  Issue is how big a drop off is there between Tier 1 and Tier 2 CBs.  If we can stay at #23 and draft a second tier that saves us draft capital.  Anyway, go with the strengths in the draft that match BPA for team.

I wonder what we should expect return for Carolina trade would be.  I think #8 and #39 with first round next year is right.  I know someone suggested looking at one of the standard point charts for valuing picks, but I think there is a lot of variability in how much value the trading up team places on a player.  If they are desperate for the franchise QB the return may be higher than charts. 

8 hours ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

#8   Pitts

#23  Best CB

#34 IOL/OT

#39 IOL/OT

#66  CB

Man you must be smoking the good stuff if you think Pitts is falling to #8. Pass that to me please. 

9 hours ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

#8   Pitts

#23  Best CB

#34 IOL/OT

#39 IOL/OT

#66  CB

Give me Pitts, Smith or Chase at 8

I'll then take Horn or Ojilari  or Harris at 23

O-line at 34

Bpa at 39

JD quite frankly had left just way too many holes on this roster going into the draft.

2 OGs, RB, TE, Edge, 2 CBs and maybe even QB.

Unless you think Lewis, GVR, Ty Johnson, Herndon, Zuniga, Austin, Hall can all be relied on as good starters.