Tony Romo The Analyst

1ForTheThumb

Forgive me if there's already a thread on this (or if the discussion should be in a different forum) but I wanted to get FF's opinion on Romo's performance as analyst 3 games into his career?

Just from twitter, I feel like, so far, you either love him or you hate him, there's no in-between. 

For me? I think he's been outstanding. He just brings energy, enthusiasm, and insight that you aren't used to hearing. He gets a little too excited sometimes and it can be distracting, but he's one of the few analyst that I find myself really listening and paying attention too.

Thoughts??

I'm in the minority but I hate him. Watching the game and having him yell at Aaron Rodgers crap like "you gotta get to the line", "run the flanker screen", he would've already thrown his game losing pick by that point. Analyze the play after it happens, don't yell instructions like some coach in the booth.

I guess I'm one of the rare in the middle. His analysis of the game is great and is going to be great for the casual fan looking to gain a better understanding of the game and strategy. 

What I can't stand about Romo the Announcer right now is his tendency to try and predict every play. He is trying way too hard to stay ahead of the game rather then just calling what is in front of him. It's obvious he is new at this, but once he cleans up his speech and gets a good season of mentoring, he is going to be far and away the best announcer in professional football.

Heard Romo for the first time Sunday for the Bengals-Packers game. Rookie announcers tend to talk too much, I thought he did a decent job. Occasionally, Romo was making weird sounds, trying to be like early John Madden. He'll need time to develop his own style, but I have to wonder if Romo would consider a comeback next season with the right team. Troy Aikman nearly returned with the Dolphins before changing his mind.

I love his analysis and the knowledge he brings to the table, but there is one thing he does that I can't get over, and that's enter fan mode while he's still in the booth.  While it's awesome to see him exhibit his passion for the game, I feel this sometimes gets in the way of him doing his job and gets a bit annoying at times.  Take the Cincinnati @ Green Bay game, for example.  On the long play to Allison in overtime that effectively ended the game, Romo jumped in during the middle of the play with "he's open!" and "Go! Go! Go!".  The first one is more of a call that Nantz should be making, and the second one just makes it seem like he's taking sides and was unnecessary.  Maybe it's just him being new to the booth, but hes got to defer to Nantz in that situation and let him make the most meaningful call of the game, while providing his input and analysis shortly after 

Other than that though, he's been a breath of fresh air and I enjoy listening to his color commentary, almost as much as I enjoyed watching him play

Archived