What do we make of Jared Goff's hot start?

Apparition

23 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

I do not know how good Goff can get, but I do know all those doubts due to his rookie year were ridiculous. It usually takes 3 years before a QB can be deemed much of anything. Sure there are exceptions, but that is the general rule for most QB's.

He is clearly showing vast improvement, but it will still take time to evaluate just how good he can become.

And with a few notable exceptions that's all Rams fans were saying this off season. Don't write him off after the rookie year give him a chance with some competent coaching. 

Ehh both side make valid points and invaild points I mean before the season if asked will he be better than last year? That would be pretty easy yes because it would have been extremely difficult to be worse than he was last season. 

Obviously he is off to a fantastic start and you can judge his competition he did play two teams that could be really really bad and you would expect a solid team like the Rams to beat regardless. So there is room for skepticism. But he was really good regardless and you probably weren't expecting to see those numbers from him no matter who he was playing. 

Last year I read an article on NFL.com I believe that rated the top 50 #1 overall picks and he was rated last right behind Jamarcus Russell and obviously that was pretty egregious based of what 7 or 8 starts last year?

Expectations were certainly tempered from most outsiders but something like an Alex Smith like progression seemed like it could still be in play (he's sure looked good this year, right?). He was labeled a bust for  a much larger sample size. Maybe the higher end example was Drew Brees he was not only labeled a bust but just three short years later the franchise drafted another QB #1 overall. I've always liked Brees but I remember what he looked like I remember him getting benched for a 40 year old Doug Flutie and Cleo Lemon. This would be more high end as he's had an unbelievable career the next two years in SD and now over a decade with the Saints. 

When saying oh he won't keep up with these godly MVP type of numbers that's really going out on a limb I mean not even @jrry32 or @El ramster really believes he's going to have an outstanding almost unreachable except for maybe Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers like prime seasons this year. Although Rammy will probably say that next year and force himself into believing it.

Even in just three games compared from last year of course a small sample size but he has looked Night and Day compared to what I have seen last year. You don't have to buy into him as a surefire superstar but you have to give him credit as well as McVay because it was a detriment to play under Jeff last year.

I mean good for him and the team. He looks much better the Rams offense overall looks much better. Let's wait and see how he plays the rest of the season. See if he can keep it up. 

What to make of it? I guess don't write off the #1 pick after 1 season playing with a horrid offensive cast and non-nurturing coach? Obviously he's not going to keep up this play, statistically at least, I can guarantee that, but he looks more confident as a passer and just all around sharpened his game from last season. Having some weapons and a run game helps too. The thing with Goff is he is not the type to get rattled, he was sticking in the pocket in the face of pressure and getting off throws that left him open for the big hit since he was a freshman at Cal, you can't teach that kind of confidence, or whatever it is. So that rookie year, no matter how horrendous, was not gonna have any impact on him going forward.

Just like you shouldnt overreact to a bad rookie season....you shouldnt overreact to a few good games.    Hell, even if Goff is great the rest of the season, I wont be COMPLETELY sold on him as a franchise QB.

Goff is definitely showing what he is capable of, but here is what most people tend to overlook when it comes to QBs.....consistency is the difference between a franchise QB and the rest.   Too many fans are impatient and have knee jerk reactions to big INDIVIDUAL games and seasons, both good and bad.    Even mediocre QBs can have a good game or a good stretch of games from time to time.   Im not calling Goff mediocre....I dont know what he is yet....but all he is doing now is showing he is damn well capable of being that franchise guy....but he still has a long way to go in proving he is, without a doubt, a true franchise QB.

So...what do we make of it?    You take it for what it is.....a hot start from a talented QB who struggled as a rookie.   No more, no less.     At the end of the year, you evaluate the progress he has made, and see if he can continue it into next year.       Once there is more gametape on young QBs, defenses adjust to exploit potential weaknesses.     The better QBs are able to adjust to those adjustments and actually exploit the defenses for trying to exploit them.    Some QBs cant adjust and then there is a blueprint to keeping them in check.

Bottom line....this is a year Goff can shut alot of naysayers up, but next year will be his defining year IMO.   

13 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Just like you shouldnt overreact to a bad rookie season....you shouldnt overreact to a few good games.    Hell, even if Goff is great the rest of the season, I wont be COMPLETELY sold on him as a franchise QB.

Goff is definitely showing what he is capable of, but here is what most people tend to overlook when it comes to QBs.....consistency is the difference between a franchise QB and the rest.   Too many fans are impatient and have knee jerk reactions to big INDIVIDUAL games and seasons, both good and bad.    Even mediocre QBs can have a good game or a good stretch of games from time to time.   Im not calling Goff mediocre....I dont know what he is yet....but all he is doing now is showing he is damn well capable of being that franchise guy....but he still has a long way to go in proving he is, without a doubt, a true franchise QB.

So...what do we make of it?    You take it for what it is.....a hot start from a talented QB who struggled as a rookie.   No more, no less.     At the end of the year, you evaluate the progress he has made, and see if he can continue it into next year.       Once there is more gametape on young QBs, defenses adjust to exploit potential weaknesses.     The better QBs are able to adjust to those adjustments and actually exploit the defenses for trying to exploit them.    Some QBs cant adjust and then there is a blueprint to keeping them in check.

Bottom line....this is a year Goff can shut alot of naysayers up, but next year will be his defining year IMO.   

Nah. Goff is 22 years old. Most QBs don't reach their full potential until 26 to 29 years old. Next year is simply another year. If he has a great year this year, it'll speak quite well about his future. But reality is that he'll likely show inconsistencies for the next few years. That's common.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Nah. Goff is 22 years old. Most QBs don't reach their full potential until 26 to 29 years old. Next year is simply another year. If he has a great year this year, it'll speak quite well about his future. But reality is that he'll likely show inconsistencies for the next few years. That's common.

I guess thats fair...but what I meant was his rookie year was pretty bad and this year is on track to be good....but its hard to judge a QB based on one good year and one bad year.  By year three, the QB is acclimated to the league and whatever offense he is in....so by year three, you can really start judging a QB.    Not saying its a final judgment, but I dont take much away from the first two years unless the first two years are notably special or notably bad (especially when it comes to poor mechanics and decision making).

I'm on the fence. Don't know much about the kid except that he was the butt of many jokes last year (didn't help that Jeff Fisher was his coach), but recently he's actually playing well. I'll hold off on judging him one way or the other until I see a lot more of him.

4 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I'm on the fence. Don't know much about the kid except that he was the butt of many jokes last year (didn't help that Jeff Fisher was his coach), but recently he's actually playing well. I'll hold off on judging him one way or the other until I see a lot more of him.

Read this bebe. 

http://presnapreads.com/2017/09/28/jared-goffs-growth/

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:23 AM, DigInBoys said:

Rams have a lot of key injuries on offense(Watkins, Austin, the starting center), so if all of them are out factor it into his play vs. Dallas.

Watkins and Austin are out of the concussion protocol and are expected to play Sunday. I think John Sullivan will be questionable.

Archived