Your favorite all-time journeymen QBs.

TecmoSuperJoe

I think Ryan Fitzpatrick is at the top of my list. Always an adventure with the Amish Rifle. Brett Favre mentality without the arm. Some other guys I thought were decent as backups were:

- Steve DeBurg. He might have actually been a decent starter in the 1980s if he wasn't on some awful teams. 

- Vinny Testaverde. Seems like he would have a good year every 5 years or whatever when he found himself the starter. 

- Steve Beuerlein. Had a monster year in 1999. Other than that he was a dependable backup to me. 

- Jeff George??? Honestly not sure if he counts because he was the first overall pick that was given multiple chances to be "the guy" with multiple franchises. But he had a top 3 arm like maybe ever which was worth the ticket price. Too bad he seemed like an immature jerk. 

- Billy Volek. Who can forget 2004 when he put up those huge fantasy football numbers against terrible defenses as a Titan? Or when he helped lead the comeback against the Colts in the playoffs in place of Philip Rivers? I still think it's really weird how he just got booted off the Titans by Jeff Fisher before the 2006 season started. Guess he didn't like that they signed Kerry Collins. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jyod21 said:

How many teams does a guy have to play for to be considered a journeyman?  Post 35 year old Warren Moon, if he counts.  Chris Chandler, Jeff Blake.

It's going to be different for everyone, but in my opinion I think a journeyman is a guy that a franchise either never really believed in, or didn't have 4 or 5 quality seasons put together, and spent a lot of time with a few different teams. A guy where most of their career you can look at, and say "yeah they were usually a backup". Like I wouldn't count Warren Moon as a journeyman. He was still going to Pro Bowls at age 35 for like a few more years as an Oiler/Viking. 

• Like 2

Matt Moore

He's always been a solid QB. I think he had a window where he could have been a legit NFL starter but when he was with the Panthers he was never given a leash to grow by John Fox and he favored Delhomme who was well past his prime and Jimmy Clausen who was trash. I still hate John Fox for not pulling Delhomme in the 2nd half of that 08 NFCCG and not giving Moore a shot. He was the best chance we had to come back in that game.

Had Moore been drafted I think his career might have turned out differently. Even still you have to give him a lot of credit for being a great teammate with the Dolphins and now the Cheifs. Best back up in the NFL.

Edited by RabidPanther89
  • Like 1

Todd Bouman had the most amazing NFL career. He was certainly a journey-man from the journey POV
Bouman played from 1997 through 2010. He played for 8 different teams, threw only 13 TDs and 13 INTs and made millions for doing...not very much
Super impressive how much he squeezed out of the NFL in a career that lasted over a decade, but included only 147 completed passes and a career passer rating of 74.  Take a bow Todd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Bouman

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BoumTo00.htm

Todd_Bouman_Packers.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Rich Gannon

Was just about to ask on him. Got around for a while, then landed in Oakland with Jerry Rice, Tim Brown and Jon Gruden... Got an MVP and a SB run out of it.

• Like 1

Rich Gannon was awesome, wish Marty/Carl would’ve kept him over Grbac 

I feel like he’s always been pretty salty about the whole ordeal. 

13 hours ago, RabidPanther89 said:

Matt Moore

He's always been a solid QB. I think he had a window where he could have been a legit NFL starter but when he was with the Panthers he was never given a leash to grow by John Fox and he favored Delhomme who was well past his prime and Jimmy Clausen who was trash. I still hate John Fox for not pulling Delhomme in the 2nd half of that 08 NFCCG and not giving Moore a shot. He was the best chance we had to come back in that game.

Had Moore been drafted I think his career might have turned out differently. Even still you have to give him a lot of credit for being a great teammate with the Dolphins and now the Cheifs. Best back up in the NFL.

That’s my dude right there. Retired, coaching HS football in Cali. Henne gets hurt Week 4 preseason, Chiefs give Moore a call(was between him and Henne during FA) 

He comes in and starts for Mahomes knee dislocation and keeps the ship moving. Great veteran savvy and a good deep ball. 1-1 as a starter was crucial down the stretch for a playoff bye. 

then he sails off into the sunset with a Super Bowl ring and stories for his kids he’s coaching. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Todd Bouman had the most amazing NFL career. He was certainly a journey-man from the journey POV
Bouman played from 1997 through 2010. He played for 8 different teams, threw only 13 TDs and 13 INTs and made millions for doing...not very much
Super impressive how much he squeezed out of the NFL in a career that lasted over a decade, but included only 147 completed passes and a career passer rating of 74.  Take a bow Todd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Bouman

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BoumTo00.htm

Todd_Bouman_Packers.jpg

Lets not forget what school he came from!! Go Huskies (their football program doesn't exist anymore)