Browns General Discussion

candyman93

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

If Watson is suspended the entire season, I hope guys don’t just “mail it in.” 

Rally behind Jacoby and compete your *** off.

It’s ironic that if Baker didn’t light the match he could have realized that playing here was his best career option and also best for the team this year.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It’s ironic that if Baker didn’t light the match he could have realized that playing here was his best career option and also best for the team this year.

I mean, you gotta wonder if there’s still time to walk some things back. 

If Watson is out most of the season, he’s not gonna find a better short term option.

And there’s an absolute guarantee he hits UFA, which would never happen if he plays well for a team that needs a QB.

Cooler heads need to prevail and realize Baker staying is best for everyone, including Baker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, you gotta wonder if there’s still time to walk some things back. 

If Watson is out most of the season, he’s not gonna find a better short term option.

And there’s an absolute guarantee he hits UFA, which would never happen if he plays well for a team that needs a QB.

Cooler heads need to prevail and realize Baker staying is best for everyone, including Baker.

Yeah, that's not happening. That tie has been severed. Some people would consider that option but I'm fairly certain Baker isn't of that mindset.

44 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, that's not happening. That tie has been severed. Some people would consider that option but I'm fairly certain Baker isn't of that mindset.

I don’t disagree, but like, what other option does he have?

Carolina?  Maybe?

Maybe he holds out hope that someone calls if their starter goes down, but what type of talent might that team have?  Is it a better opportunity than what’s right here in front of him?  

I get his ego is bruised or whatever, but this is a business, not your HS football team. Teams try to replace a lot of players every year, it comes with the job.

I get not wanting to do the Browns any favors from his perspective, but it’s a mutually beneficial scenario for a guy who doesn’t seem to have many options to be a starter in 2022 at the moment.

Use this opportunity to maximize your value next March when you’re an UFA.

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t disagree, but like, what other option does he have?

Carolina?  Maybe?

Maybe he holds out hope that someone calls if their starter goes down, but what type of talent might that team have?  Is it a better opportunity than what’s right here in front of him?  

I get his ego is bruised or whatever, but this is a business, not your HS football team. Teams try to replace a lot of players every year, it comes with the job.

I get not wanting to do the Browns any favors from his perspective, but it’s a mutually beneficial scenario for a guy who doesn’t seem to have many options to be a starter in 2022 at the moment.

Use this opportunity to maximize your value next March when you’re an UFA.

Again, for a lot of people sure, this is probably the easiest option. Mayfield typically doesn't take the easy route and it's probably the only reason any of us have ever heard of him. He seems to have gambled on himself his whole life and I just don't see him switching up now.

I think he'd rather sign elsewhere as a 3rd string QB with the belief he could pull himself up by his bootstraps one more time and end up winning a job. This isn't all that different than the decisions he made in his college years.

Just a guess on my part from his previous actions but there is certainly a trend with him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Again, for a lot of people sure, this is probably the easiest option. Mayfield typically doesn't take the easy route and it's probably the only reason any of us have ever heard of him. He seems to have gambled on himself his whole life and I just don't see him switching up now.

I think he'd rather sign elsewhere as a 3rd string QB with the belief he could pull himself up by his bootstraps one more time and end up winning a job. This isn't all that different than the decisions he made in his college years.

Just a guess on my part from his previous actions but there is certainly a trend with him.

Yeah I guess. 

Just seems like a cutting off your nose to spite your face situation and doesn’t help fix the immature narrative.  But yeah, he’s gonna do his thing I suppose.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I guess. 

Just seems like a cutting off your nose to spite your face situation and doesn’t help fix the immature narrative.  But yeah, he’s gonna do his thing I suppose.

You can’t light the match and have hurt feelings and be a pro who makes the best business decision for yourself.

Sure the Browns made their bed and here they are.

That doesn’t change the fact that nobody else wants him (at that salary), he won’t find a better situation of surrounding talent, he’d be in his third year in the system, and if he balls out he’s going to get a nice contract and another shot elsewhere. If not, enjoy the uphill climb on a bad team or as a backup elsewhere where you hope to even become a starter again. 

Everyone trying to salvage this is in everyone’s best interests. It won’t happen but that will be as much on Baker as anyone else.

• Like 3

Agreed with what others have said. It's in both Cleveland's and Baker's best interest for them to reconcile (at least somewhat) and have him start this year. Can't see it happening, though.

Would love to get Jimmy G for this year. He's proven to be good enough to take a team to the Super Bowl when he has enough talent around him. Brissett is a fine backup, but he's not someone who I feel great about starting an entire season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Agreed with what others have said. It's in both Cleveland's and Baker's best interest for them to reconcile (at least somewhat) and have him start this year. Can't see it happening, though.

Would love to get Jimmy G for this year. He's proven to be good enough to take a team to the Super Bowl when he has enough talent around him. Brissett is a fine backup, but he's not someone who I feel great about starting an entire season.

Yeah Jimmy should be the priority of Watson is out the year.  He’s run a similar system and can win.