Browns General Discussion

candyman93

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

True, but at the time of the trade most folks felt like Watson might get 4-6 games and then he’s gonna be the dude.  Love was never gonna be the dude year one, so Rodgers knew he always had the chance to do that.

A lengthy suspension changes the potential opportunity for Baker a good bit.

And I get it’s semantics to some degree, but Love was drafted as a successor, not a replacement.

Per my OP everyone miscalculated, and let my OP this is why it’s a bad mistake to burn bridges, Baker included.

39 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Per my OP everyone miscalculated, and let my OP this is why it’s a bad mistake to burn bridges, Baker included.

“The past 4 years have been nothing short of truly life changing since I heard my name called in the draft to go to Cleveland,” Mayfield wrote. “This is not a message with hidden meaning. This is strictly to thank the city of Cleveland for embracing my family and me. We have made many memories and shared growing in this process through all the ups and downs. I have no clue what happens next, which is the meaning behind the silence I have had during the duration of this process. I can only control what I can, which is trusting in God’s plan throughout this process.

“I have given this franchise everything I have. That is something I’ve always done at every stage, and at every level. And that will not change wherever I take my next snap. Whatever happens… I just want to say thank you to the fans who truly embraced who I am and the mentality that aligned so well with this city’s hard working people. Cleveland will always be a part of Emily and my story. And we will always be thankful for the impact it has had and will have in our lives.

“Sincerely,
“Baker Reagan Mayfield.’’

The nerve.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

“The past 4 years have been nothing short of truly life changing since I heard my name called in the draft to go to Cleveland,” Mayfield wrote. “This is not a message with hidden meaning. This is strictly to thank the city of Cleveland for embracing my family and me. We have made many memories and shared growing in this process through all the ups and downs. I have no clue what happens next, which is the meaning behind the silence I have had during the duration of this process. I can only control what I can, which is trusting in God’s plan throughout this process.

“I have given this franchise everything I have. That is something I’ve always done at every stage, and at every level. And that will not change wherever I take my next snap. Whatever happens… I just want to say thank you to the fans who truly embraced who I am and the mentality that aligned so well with this city’s hard working people. Cleveland will always be a part of Emily and my story. And we will always be thankful for the impact it has had and will have in our lives.

“Sincerely,
“Baker Reagan Mayfield.’’

The nerve.

It's a goodbye letter all in the past tense. If you refuse to see that then so be it. 

"Have made memories"

"Have given"

"Wherever I take my next snap" (Read: Not here)

Thanks for having "truly embraced who  I am"

"that aligned"

Oh and I like how we're conveniently leaving out the part where Baker REFUSED to meet with FO and ownership after the first "didn't get Watson" moment. Yeah, truly the high road and not at all burning a bridge or sending a message about being done.

26 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's a goodbye letter all in the past tense. If you refuse to see that then so be it. 

"Have made memories"

"Have given"

"Wherever I take my next snap" (Read: Not here)

Thanks for having "truly embraced who  I am"

"that aligned"

Duh. Acknowledging that the Browns signed a new starting QB and you're being paid 19 million (and the fact that the team said they were moving on from him) of course it's past tense. If the Ravens traded for Pat Mahomes it isn't so Lamar can back him up, that relationship is over.

Baker doesn't need the Browns and the Browns don't need Baker. This shouldn't be that difficult. You hated Baker, get on the Brissett train. Support the man starting for the team this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Oh and I like how we're conveniently leaving out the part where Baker REFUSED to meet with FO and ownership after the first "didn't get Watson" moment. Yeah, truly the high road and not at all burning a bridge or sending a message about being done.

Per "sources" . The FO never came out and said that nor did Baker. I get you have always hated the guy but come on already. It is over, he will be gone, the Browns are moving on. Neither has a desire to be paired is my guess. 

• Like 1

I don’t think Carolina is a good fit for Bakers skills. Really bad offensive line with wide receivers who drop passes like crazy. The HC is probably gone after next year too. However, Carolina is in a really weak division though which will become weaker after Brady retires.

I still think his best fit is Seattle. He’d have 2 deep threats, a fantastic HC who fits personality wise, and a physical run game. Really difficult division though.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I don’t think Carolina is a good fit for Bakers skills. Really bad offensive line with wide receivers who drop passes like crazy. The HC is probably gone after next year too. However, Carolina is in a really weak division though which will become weaker after Brady retires.

It’s not a great fit for a QB, not just Baker. They’re just not very talented.

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I still think his best fit is Seattle. He’d have 2 deep threats, a fantastic HC who fits personality wise, and a physical run game. Really difficult division though.

Definitely a more talented team, but arguably the worst team in the division still.  

33 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

“Hated”

Interesting. I’ve never hated anyone in my life. This is just a game. Sorry everyone, next time I’ll blindly follow whoever our quarterback is and mindlessly praise them.

Okay, not "hated" by the actual definition. Then again the biggest Baker fans don't actually "praise" him either. If we're going to go down the actual definition of every word rabbit hole I say we just bury this thing like a new born rabbit.

Yes Baker could have said he'll enjoy backing up Watson for a year until he hits free agency. Yes, then we could start Baker this year. It would be an extraordinarily passive and self doubting response but yes if that was the route Baker took then maybe we would be where some people think we should be.

We're not. It doesn't matter. Baker has no blame. He gave a human response that wasn't contrite. The Browns got the man they wanted. Relationship over. Next chapter. Move on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Okay, not "hated" by the actual definition. Then again the biggest Baker fans don't actually "praise" him either. If we're going to go down the actual definition of every word rabbit hole I say we just bury this thing like a new born rabbit.

Yes Baker could have said he'll enjoy backing up Watson for a year until he hits free agency. Yes, then we could start Baker this year. It would be an extraordinarily passive and self doubting response but yes if that was the route Baker took then maybe we would be where some people think we should be.

We're not. It doesn't matter. Baker has no blame. He gave a human response that wasn't contrite. The Browns got the man they wanted. Relationship over. Next chapter. Move on.

We shouldn't have to play intentional semantic games in order to have the most basic of conversations: sports of all things.

Yet here we are.

But good on you for having the patience to interact.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s not a great fit for a QB, not just Baker. They’re just not very talented.

Definitely a more talented team, but arguably the worst team in the division still.  

It comes down to what Baker wants.

1. Carolina - You’re probably the best QB in your division a year from now. Guarantee Brady retires after this year.

However, your coach and roster sucks.

2. Seattle - Could be the worst QB in your division. Definitely the worst team because the top 2 are super bowl contenders. Then you have a strong Arizona team.

You have a future HOF coach and strong offensive pieces around you.

43 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

It comes down to what Baker wants.

1. Carolina - You’re probably the best QB in your division a year from now. Guarantee Brady retires after this year.

However, your coach and roster sucks.

2. Seattle - Could be the worst QB in your division. Definitely the worst team because the top 2 are super bowl contenders. Then you have a strong Arizona team.

You have a future HOF coach and strong offensive pieces around you.

Bakers wants are irrelevant 

• Like 2