Browns General Discussion

candyman93

12 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

This means nothing. Absolutely nothing at all. Players say they want to stay all the time and end up leaving. He’s going to take the most money he can like everyone else. Never ever ever believe a player when they say something like this. Or anyone in sports for that matter. 

We will see.  After backing up for 1.5 years in Cleveland and sitting out pretty much a year before that, I think that a middle of the pack contract is about the best he will get.  I think that will be from the Browns.  I also think he is genuine when he says he wants to retire here.

13 hours ago, buno67 said:

So you want to potentially let the best RB, at least top3 RB in the league to walk for a delayed 3rd rd pick? Hell Duke got a 3rd rd pick...If Chubb solidfies himself as a top3 back this season and the ceiling is only to go up, you keep him.

If Hunt plays well and signs that long term middle of the road RB type contract, that he should greatly out play the value of, you trade him cause he is going to have greater trade value. 

There are 5 RBs making $10m or more: Zeke, Henery, CMC, Bell, and Johnson. He will prolly want a contract like them  or better but the Browns could also live a few extra years by franchise tagging him and getting him for around $10-$12m a season. Franchise tagging Chubb would be the money ball thing to do actually if you think about it. 

If Chubb wasnt flirting with the best RB in the league, I would totally agree with your train of thought. You just cant let the potentially best player at their position walk. By the time Chubb should be in line of signing that contract, the browns should be moving on from the duo of Landry and OBJ. Hell you run the cap extremely tight in '22. The following offseason, you move on from Landry and OBJ because that could be a savings close to $30m. If the running game is working as well as it is, you are able to break in some younger WRs, while you kill teams on the ground. Potentailly when those young WRs develop, should be the time to potentially move on from Chubb and you can break in a younger RB 

Not gonna lie and say I read all of this.  I didn’t.  I stopped after the first sentence.  I never said it’s what I want to do.  In fact I didn’t say one way or the other what I want to do.  What I said is, is giving Chubb the biggest RB contract in the league a moneyball thing to do given that the position is devalued and of done right we will have another all pro caliber talent to step in and replace him on a much more affordable contract.

6 hours ago, bruceb said:

If footy can do it, then so can the NFL.

Here's what I posted in the NFL General Thread on Covid's impact.  

The one addendum I might make is that rather than keeping the AFC North in a hub for 6 weeks, they could split them into two 3-week hubs, and have the games played in two different locations, so maybe Rds 1-3 the first set of games within your division, and the other 3 games could come towards the end of the schedule.  Yep.  It is 5:47 a.m. here in Ohio, and I'm up to watch the 2nd footy game of the weekend.  

It's called a specky in AFL and it's legal | Funny gif, Football ...

I love this game.

14 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

We will see.  After backing up for 1.5 years in Cleveland and sitting out pretty much a year before that, I think that a middle of the pack contract is about the best he will get.  I think that will be from the Browns.  I also think he is genuine when he says he wants to retire here.

I hope you’re right.

I don’t value runningbacks much, but I’d rather have Kareem than Obj. Keep Chubb and Kareem, then trade OBJ if you have to.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I hope you’re right.

I don’t value runningbacks much, but I’d rather have Kareem than Obj. Keep Chubb and Kareem, then trade OBJ if you have to.

OBJ just went back to his blonde hair though. He got his superpowers back.

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

They say this every year. 

That OBJ has a chip on his shoulder? They weren’t saying that last year. They were saying this team last year wasn’t playing like that and was buying into their preseason hype. 

now you have everyone doubting OBJ because of last year, he is coming back from injury, and wants to prove he is still a top flight WR. 

they might say it every year but his next season he has a chip on his shoulder. 

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I hope you’re right.

The Browns dont get players like OBJ often and now that we have him on the team, I couldnt be more 'meh' about him being here. If he demanded a trade or left I wouldnt be too terribly upset. Maybe last years horribleness has made me delusional but after seeing him play I would rather give 18 million to a elite level EDGE player opposite of Garrett over giving it to OBJ.

For instance I would rather have Garrett/Landry/Lawrence or Ngakwe (sp) over Garrett/Landry/OBJ. Maybe a competent offensive system this year will change my mind.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The Browns dont get players like OBJ often and now that we have him on the team, I couldnt be more 'meh' about him being here.

The series of moves that led to our acquiring OBJ was a cluster that set the team back.

Lost Zeitler, a R-1 pick and Peppers.

"Gained" Vernon and OBJ.

Lose, lose.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The Browns dont get players like OBJ often and now that we have him on the team, I couldnt be more 'meh' about him being here. If he demanded a trade or left I wouldnt be too terribly upset. Maybe last years horribleness has made me delusional but after seeing him play I would rather give 18 million to a elite level EDGE player opposite of Garrett over giving it to OBJ.

For instance I would rather have Garrett/Landry/Lawrence or Ngakwe (sp) over Garrett/Landry/OBJ. Maybe a competent offensive system this year will change my mind.

It doesn't help he's such a sideshow even when he's not trying to be.  To the media when things were going bad it's because we couldn't get the ball to OBJ.  When we won they questioned why we didn't get the ball to OBJ more. 

And we threw it to him 130 times and often not high quality targets.  I wouldn't say it would be addition by subtraction at all, but it's often frustrating having him on your team and I often wonder how different things really would have been if it were just Perriman out there instead.

25 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

It doesn't help he's such a sideshow even when he's not trying to be.  To the media when things were going bad it's because we couldn't get the ball to OBJ.  When we won they questioned why we didn't get the ball to OBJ more. 

And we threw it to him 130 times and often not high quality targets.  I wouldn't say it would be addition by subtraction at all, but it's often frustrating having him on your team and I often wonder how different things really would have been if it were just Perriman out there instead.

Agreed. I think there IS such a thing as too many weapons and somebody (or two) is going to be mad about target share. If you have a good enough offensive system, you dont need 5 elite level guys out there to make it run. You can spend that cap money elsewhere, preferably defense. In a perfect world IMO we would have Jarvis/Higgins/2nd-3rd round rookie WR and two elite level front 7 players compared to unloading on offensive skill position players.

You need 1 or 2 great 'go-to' guys on the offensive skill side like the Cheifs have with Kelce/Hill and the rest can be good support guys. As long as Baker doesnt suck, Landry/Hooper/Chubb/Hunt should be MORE than enough skill on offense for a deep playoff run. Save the rest of the money for the defense.

Cheifs had Kelce/Hill. 49ers had Sanders/Kittle/Debo. Ravens had Andrews/Ingram. Saints have Kamara/Thomas.

The great teams in the deep playoffs have 1) Good QB 2) two maybe 3 guys on offense and 3) good defense.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1