Scooby Doo Mini-Mafia GAME OVER SPOOKS WIN

Blue

Town

My reaction to virtually everything Town did in this game:

200.gif

Y'all lost this game on your own merits, although I must give the Spooks credit for playing solid Mafia. This was a wildly entertaining experience for me, so thank you for that!

@Matts4313 was:

Fred Jones, Mystery Inc.

Rocking that incredible ascot, you provide leadership and direction to the gang! Nobody is a better trap maker, and the gang relies on you to tie everything together at the end of the day.

Each Night, you may choose one player to trap. They will be roleblocked.

I will try to be nice, but this may be the single-greatest LVP performance I have ever witnessed. There are layers here. First off, the fake claim to get Daboyle lynched right at the deadline was...bold in and of itself. When you realize it moved the lynch from scum (Buff) to Town (Daboyle), it is even worse. The fact that Daboyle was THE COP was atrocious. Then we must consider that Buff's ability led to two Town deaths on N2, instead of zero. In total, Matts' horrific fakeclaim led directly or indirectly to four Town deaths and prevented a scum lynch on D1. This is a totally different game if Matts hadn't faked a result on Daboyle. Remarkable.

@Counselor was:

Daphne Blake, Mystery Inc.

Rich and fashionable, your life was always a bit dull. Maybe that’s why you feel drawn to danger, even though you always seem to find a way to escape.

The first time you are eliminated during the game, you will survive instead.

Poor Counselor probably had the best head of the Town players in this game and couldn't do anything about his faction's incompetence. I considered giving Daphne some sort of one-shot ability and didn't, but his role was to force scum to waste a phase inadvertently clearing a Townie (it would have been fairly clear Counselor was Town based on the flavor of the writeup).

@daboyle250 was:

Velma Dinkley, Mystery Inc.

As the sexiest dork on earth, you have a special knack for figuring out who-dun-it that the other members of Mystery Inc. rely on.

Each Night, you may choose a player to gain a clue about their real identity. If you target the same player twice during the game, you will receive their full role name and alignment.

Hidden stuff: Velma receives the following investigation flavors:

o   Fred, Daphne, Shaggy, Red Herring: Seems like this person has been rocking the same look since they were a kid.

o   The Hex Girls: Whoever they are, they sound amazing!

o   Blue Falcon and Dyno-Mutt: Two individuals wearing masks—who could they be?

o   Scooby, Scrappy, Professor Pericles: Hey, that looks like a Scooby Snack!

o   Vincent Van Ghoul, Bogel, Weerd: Is that…ectoplasm? Gross!

Daboyle didn't even know when D1 ended because he didn't read the rules and I forgot to update the title of the thread. Getting red-lettered off a fake result at the D1 deadline was a rough way to go, and frankly I don't know what he was going to say or do in the time he had to get votes off him anyways.

@The Orca was:

Shaggy Rogers, Mystery Inc.

Like, zoinks! The resident laid-back comedian of the team, you and your buddy Scooby can do anything you set your minds to…which usually involves eating something unhealthy but delicious.

Your mason partner is Scooby Doo. You are both Town.

Hidden stuff: If Scrappy Doo motivates Shaggy or Scooby, the masons receive a one-shot vigilante kill. They must agree on a target or the kill will fail.

@squire12 was:

Scooby Doo, Mystery Inc.

Scooby-dooby-doo! The star of the show, you and your pal Shaggy are indispensable members of the team, even if you look like, and act like, and often are, scaredy-cats.

Your mason partner is Shaggy Rogers. You are both Town.

Hidden stuff: If Scrappy Doo motivates Shaggy or Scooby, the masons receive a one-shot vigilante kill. They must agree on a target or the kill will fail.

Squire more or less figured the game out by Day 2, but it was largely too late at that point. The decision to hit Mwil23 with their vig kill on N2 was one of many poor decisions by Town; while I at one point considered giving scum a doublevote in this game, I didn't because of the obvious issue of balancing that in a 13-player game. If not for Squire signing off on the move, I would have uncharitably written this off as Orca putting a personal vendetta over what made sense in the game.

@kingseanjohn was:

Vincent van Ghoul, Mystery Inc.

A master of the occult, you’re a long-time ally of the gang who helps them out when they encounter powers truly out-of-this-world. With the opening of the Chest of Demons, your talents are needed more than ever.

Choose one player each Night. You will know which players targeted that person during the Night phase. You may not target yourself.

There were times I wondered if KSJ was reading PMs from a different Mafia game. He saw Malf visit Josh N1 and literally no one else visiting his other targets. He targeted Mafia twice in a game where Mafia had no abilities that made sense to use on themselves. His red letter on Orca was based on, as far as I can tell, an assumption that only Orca and Pickle would have killed Mwil. In addition he screwed up his fakeclaims about his ability to the point where no one believed him anyways. Truly a bizarre game that was only overshadowed by Matts.

@HoboRocket was:

The Hex Girls, Mystery Inc.

A more stylish gang of gals and ghouls has never walked the earth. Your rocking jams and macabre melodies should help shed some light for the gang as they solve this mystery.

One Night during the game, you may throw a concert. All players will be roleblocked. At the end of Night, your role will be revealed and you will be removed from the game.

Hidden stuff: If Scrappy targets the Hex Girls, they will not be removed from the game when they use their ability (their role will still be revealed in the player list).

Poor Hobo didn't know what to do with his ability and it showed. It's admittedly a difficult role to use, as I've had it a couple times before as well, but given his lack of engagement in the game, he really should have used it. Cancelling N2 would have really thrown a wrench in Mafia's plans even with Matts' awful D1 play because it would have saved two Town roles and prevented Mafia from making Mwil vanilla, but that's very much a hindsight play. Hobo should have at least realized that scum must have Night abilities beyond a kill that his ability was meant to counter, to the degree that I felt it was balanced out by removing him from the game. Just a really disappointing performance by a player I have a high opinion of.

@Pickle Rick was:

Scrappy Doo, Mystery Inc.

Scooby’s much-maligned and overenthusiastic nephew, you are difficult to handle by friends and foes alike. You draw your courage from a truly impressive supply of Scooby Snacks, which you control zealously.

Each Night, you can give a player of your choice a Scooby Snack, allowing them to perform their Night action twice the following Night. You may only target each player once during the game.

Hidden stuff: If Scrappy Doo motivates Shaggy or Scooby, the masons receive a one-shot vigilante kill. If Scrappy targets the Hex Girls, they will not be removed from the game when they use their ability (their role will still be revealed in the player list). Targeting Daphne, Bogel, or Weerd will cause Scrappy’s ability to fail.

To address Mwil's comment from page 14, this was just a huge coincidence; Random.org is a helluva drug. Scrappy was a fairly important role for Town, so losing him N1 was an issue. Being able to only motivate the Mafia killer made him pretty Town-friendly, too.

@MWil23 (originally) was:

Blue Falcon and Dyno-Mutt, Mystery Inc.

The long-time crimefighting allies of the kids from Mystery Inc., you are as mysterious as you are helpful. So far, it’s been a beneficial arrangement for all sides—except the bad guys, of course!

Your vote counts double. Once during the game, you may jail a player to protect them from all Night actions but prevent them from using their own Night action. You may not target yourself.

A really powerful Town role that was A) targeted by Mafia's vanillaizer N2, B) targeted by Mafia's vote thief N2, and C) targeted by the Town Vig kill N2. Just remarkable. Worse, Mwil was the only true protector role Town had, and he would have prevented both his own death and the Mafia hit on N2 had Buff not made him vanilla the same Night. Just a rough time for Town Mwil.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

You don't understand

Town was playing SOOOO poorly

Despite roleplaying a civ who already flipped (once again), you were STILL the least likely person to get the votes, and therefore was our kill

Like.... EVERYONE was scummy AF, there was NOBODY who we were like "That person needs to die"

Killing half of the civs would have just closed loose ends that I'd rather keep open, so it was you.. sry!

no problem, i get the reasoning.

turned out to be a good move for you guys, because you wouldnt have to share the win

i misplayed toward endgame.

after fred died, i should have begged hobo to use his move to ensure my safety, but i didnt want to be a vig target

Edited by Malfatron

36 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Blue did I draw 4 total moves N2???

No, only 3. Masons shared a move.

26 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Man, you live your life and aren't on the forum 24/7 so you get lynched. Good luck Mystery Inc.

You were literally lynched by scum alone.

2 minutes ago, The Orca said:

tenor.gif?itemid=6188283

I dont have a scum game lol

But yeah, I really dislike slow, smaller games. That could have been coming across 

to be fair. It was a slow game because you weren't spamming it

while it wasn't 300+ pages, it easily could have been 100 if the town players put in ANY sort of effort whatsoever

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Town

My reaction to virtually everything Town did in this game:

200.gif

Y'all lost this game on your own merits, although I must give the Spooks credit for playing solid Mafia. This was a wildly entertaining experience for me, so thank you for that!

@Matts4313 was:

I will try to be nice, but this may be the single-greatest LVP performance I have ever witnessed. There are layers here. First off, the fake claim to get Daboyle lynched right at the deadline was...bold in and of itself. When you realize it moved the lynch from scum (Buff) to Town (Daboyle), it is even worse. The fact that Daboyle was THE COP was atrocious. Then we must consider that Buff's ability led to two Town deaths on N2, instead of zero. In total, Matts' horrific fakeclaim led directly or indirectly to four Town deaths and prevented a scum lynch on D1. This is a totally different game if Matts hadn't faked a result on Daboyle. Remarkable.

@Counselor was:

Poor Counselor probably had the best head of the Town players in this game and couldn't do anything about his faction's incompetence. I considered giving Daphne some sort of one-shot ability and didn't, but his role was to force scum to waste a phase inadvertently clearing a Townie (it would have been fairly clear Counselor was Town based on the flavor of the writeup).

@daboyle250 was:

Daboyle didn't even know when D1 ended because he didn't read the rules and I forgot to update the title of the thread. Getting red-lettered off a fake result at the D1 deadline was a rough way to go, and frankly I don't know what he was going to say or do in the time he had to get votes off him anyways.

@The Orca was:

@squire12 was:

Squire more or less figured the game out by Day 2, but it was largely too late at that point. The decision to hit Mwil23 with their vig kill on N2 was one of many poor decisions by Town; while I at one point considered giving scum a doublevote in this game, I didn't because of the obvious issue of balancing that in a 13-player game. If not for Squire signing off on the move, I would have uncharitably written this off as Orca putting a personal vendetta over what made sense in the game.

@kingseanjohn was:

There were times I wondered if KSJ was reading PMs from a different Mafia game. He saw Malf visit Josh N1 and literally no one else visiting his other targets. He targeted Mafia twice in a game where Mafia had no abilities that made sense to use on themselves. His red letter on Orca was based on, as far as I can tell, an assumption that only Orca and Pickle would have killed Mwil. In addition he screwed up his fakeclaims about his ability to the point where no one believed him anyways. Truly a bizarre game that was only overshadowed by Matts.

@HoboRocket was:

Poor Hobo didn't know what to do with his ability and it showed. It's admittedly a difficult role to use, as I've had it a couple times before as well, but given his lack of engagement in the game, he really should have used it. Cancelling N2 would have really thrown a wrench in Mafia's plans even with Matts' awful D1 play because it would have saved two Town roles and prevented Mafia from making Mwil vanilla, but that's very much a hindsight play. Hobo should have at least realized that scum must have Night abilities beyond a kill that his ability was meant to counter, to the degree that I felt it was balanced out by removing him from the game. Just a really disappointing performance by a player I have a high opinion of.

@Pickle Rick was:

To address Mwil's comment from page 14, this was just a huge coincidence; Random.org is a helluva drug. Scrappy was a fairly important role for Town, so losing him N1 was an issue. Being able to only motivate the Mafia killer made him pretty Town-friendly, too.

@MWil23 (originally) was:

A really powerful Town role that was A) targeted by Mafia's vanillaizer N2, B) targeted by Mafia's vote thief N2, and C) targeted by the Town Vig kill N2. Just remarkable. Worse, Mwil was the only true protector role Town had, and he would have prevented both his own death and the Mafia hit on N2 had Buff not made him vanilla the same Night. Just a rough time for Town Mwil.

Lol. Mwil wasnt a viable option until Squire signed off with like 5 min left. I had the options down to Matts, Tk3, Hobo, Josh....Buff was going to be the hit until he "claimed"...so that was awesome for mafia lol

• Like 1

Spooks

I'm giving the whole faction MVP but gun to my head I'd put Bigbadbuff as lone MVP largely on the back of his ability, rather than play.

@Tk3 was:

Professor Pericles, Mastermind, Spooks

A feathered mastermind of crime, your deductive powers were corrupted by The Entity and twisted towards serving evil! With your new minions from the Chest of Demons, you’ve set out to deal with these meddling kids and their pesky dog, once and for all.

Each Night, choose one player to spook, removing them from the game. You cannot be removed from the game until your minions have been eliminated.

You may fakeclaim: Scooby Dum

You win when your faction outnumbers Mystery Inc.

Tk3 was driving himself crazy in scumchat, thinking there must be another scum team, that scum were OP, etc., etc. Truth was just that Town played horribly. Had Buff been lynched D1 instead of Daboyle, Matts just needed to get lucky with his targets and block Tk3 to virtually ensure a Town win, as scum had no other counter to a roleblock or invest. Tk3 could also have forced a wasted lynch to keep pressure off his teammates, although that was a potentially risky play since it could lead to their kill getting blocked for the rest of the game.

@JoshstraDaymus/ @MWil23 was:

Bogel, Spooks

One half of an incompetent ghostly duo, your demonic masters have ordered you to serve Professor Pericles in his nefarious goals.

Each Night, you may choose one player to steal their vote. You may move their vote around via PM or Discord the following Day phase.

You may fakeclaim: Flim-Flam

It says a lot about Town's play this game that scum nearly didn't even need this ability at all to win. Counselor voted and unvoted so quickly on D3 that scum almost managed to go the whole game without using a stolen vote. Had scum successfully stolen Mwil's vote, his doublevote would have been split between himself and Josh (since Bogel's flavor would have been that he was controlling the player and Mwil's role was technically two people, Bogel could only steal one of the votes).

@bigbadbuff was:

Weerd, Spooks

The smarter half of the Chest of Demon’s malevolent caretakers, you will use your black magic to stop these amateur crime-solvers and help Professor Pericles do whatever needs to be done.

You may fakeclaim: Mr. E

Once during the game, you may turn a player of your choice vanilla for the rest of the game.

Instead of an every-Night roleblock, I gave scum a one-shot to eliminate a power role. This was to discourage roleclaiming and to balance them out. Given Buff's train on D1 and scum's decision to vanillaize Mwil's doublevote on N2, there is an extremely real chance Town could have coasted to a win with Matts roleblocking the factional killer and Daboyle slowly clearing everyone in the game. Fortunately for scum, they hit the right person with this ability, as it led to two Town deaths on N2 instead of zero. Buff fakeclaiming Cop was a move that worked largely because Town unmasked the Cop on D1 without giving him a chance to claim or defend himself.

Independent

@Malfatron was:

Red Herring, Red Herring

Growing up, that Fred Jones kid always had it in for you. No matter what, he always thought you-dun-it! Now’s the time to show him up.

Each Night, you must choose one player to visit. Your visit does nothing. If you do not select a target, you will visit a player chosen at random.

You have two ways to win:

1.      Have the second-most lynch votes on you at the end of three separate Day phases AND survive to the end of the game, OR

2.      Outlive Fred Jones AND be lynched.

To address Counselor's comment from the start of Day 3: you absolutely got boatraced in this game, and the only reason every scum didn't win is because Mafia had enough  respect for Malf that they didn't want to risk him suddenly giving a **** about solving the game. He was almost certainly going to get himself lynched on Day 3 because Mafia would have controlled the lynch and didn't care who died. Sucked for Malf that he couldn't quite pull off the Indy win for reasons beyond his control.

Edited by Blue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Orca said:

Good game @squire12 

thanks.

I signed off on the mwil hit 

he voted me late on day 1 with a crap reasoning.  his double vote is dangerous even as town in a small game.  his vote put me tied with buff (at least the VC that I saw before Blue edited and updated it).   He was likely going to vote me the next day and with a majority vote in play, it was all scum would have needed.  

Bad move in the end, but such is the life of the vig.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Spooks

I'm giving the whole faction MVP but gun to my head I'd put Bigbadbuff as lone MVP largely on the back of his ability, rather than play.

@Tk3 was:

Tk3 was driving himself crazy in scumchat, thinking there must be another scum team, that scum were OP, etc., etc. Truth was just that Town played horribly. Had Buff been lynched D1 instead of Daboyle, Matts just needed to get lucky with his targets and block Tk3 to virtually ensure a Town win, as scum had no other counter to a roleblock or invest. Tk3 could also have forced a wasted lynch to keep pressure off his teammates, although that was a potentially risky play since it could lead to their kill getting blocked for the rest of the game.

@JoshstraDaymus/ @MWil23 was:

It says a lot about Town's play this game that scum nearly didn't even need this ability at all to win. Counselor voted and unvoted so quickly on D3 that scum almost managed to go the whole game without using a stolen vote. Had scum successfully stolen Mwil's vote, his doublevote would have been split between himself and Josh (since Bogel's flavor would have been that he was controlling the player and Mwil's role was technically two people, Bogel could only steal one of the votes).

@bigbadbuff was:

Instead of an every-Night roleblock, I gave scum a one-shot to eliminate a power role. This was to discourage roleclaiming and to balance them out. Given Buff's train on D1 and scum's decision to vanillaize Mwil's doublevote on N2, there is an extremely real chance Town could have coasted to a win with Matts roleblocking the factional killer and Daboyle slowly clearing everyone in the game. Fortunately for scum, they hit the right person with this ability, as it led to two Town deaths on N2 instead of zero. Buff fakeclaiming Cop was a move that worked largely because Town unmasked the Cop on D1 without giving him a chance to claim or defend himself.

Independent

@Malfatron was:

To address Counselor's comment from the start of Day 3: you absolutely got boatraced in this game, and the only reason every scum didn't win is because Mafia had enough  respect for Malf that they didn't want to risk him suddenly giving a **** about solving the game. He was almost certainly going to get himself lynched on Day 3 because Mafia would have controlled the lynch and didn't care who died. Sucked for Malf that he couldn't quite pull off the Indy win for reasons beyond his control.

I think it is hard to assess how town is equally powered when some of their abilities are hidden from them.   It is a neat mechanic for sure, but hiding town abilities certainly affects their play

• Like 1