Packers 2020 Training Camp

Brat&Beer

3 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

They might also be waiting to see what shows up on the waiver wire Saturday before making a move. 

I've sorta been wondering if they MIGHT secretly have an agreement in place, such as Veldeer didn't want to go through training camp (he said he retired last year as he didn't think he's body could hold up to a full training camp and full season) and we have a hand shake agreement to sign him later or when needed. Or he'll give us an offer to match.

As it's just strange that he's only seemingly publicly target the Packers.

Also, an agreement like that could help the team too, as they basically cut down to 53 (then put someone on IR, such as Martin, and then they could sign him, or could sign him mid season), basically saving a roster spot for the cut downs.

19 minutes ago, Norm said:

Veldheer wouldn't start Sunday anyways so there's not much reason to sign him until after the game when the guarantees disappear. So worrying about what we do THIS week with that is silly. 

No, but if Wagner who hasn't gone through a season without injury lately, not this training camp, get injured, we might need a backup, and the Turner is already injured and going to miss the game.

As for the guarantees, you can simply structure most of the salary into gameday bonuses and easily avoid the guarantees that way, can't you? I think that's easy to get around.

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

I've sorta been wondering if they MIGHT secretly have an agreement in place, such as Veldeer didn't want to go through training camp (he said he retired last year as he didn't think he's body could hold up to a full training camp and full season) and we have a hand shake agreement to sign him later or when needed. Or he'll give us an offer to match.

As it's just strange that he's only seemingly publicly target the Packers.

Also, an agreement like that could help the team too, as they basically cut down to 53 (then put someone on IR, such as Martin, and then they could sign him, or could sign him mid season), basically saving a roster spot for the cut downs.

No, but if Wagner who hasn't gone through a season without injury lately, not this training camp, get injured, we might need a backup, and the Turner is already injured and going to miss the game.

As for the guarantees, you can simply structure most of the salary into gameday bonuses and easily avoid the guarantees that way, can't you? I think that's easy to get around.

I'm not saying you don't sign a Veldheer or a DL or an ILB, I'm just saying don't act like the options are 

A. Sign two street free agents the week before your first game

or 

B. Get rid of Rodgers and rebuild the entire team.

On the last part, I guess you could, sure. And you'd get him in for some extra practice if you get him in earlier. It's just not any sort of damned "do or die" move, that's all I'm saying. 

We need to stop acting like signing street FAs that were good 7 years ago is how you win titles just because we're bored fans and that not signing them means you're giving up on the SB. That doesn't mean I don't sign JV, I probably do if it's me. But I don't make it out to be way bigger than it is or start sweating about worse possible outcomes with why I have to.

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'm not saying you don't sign a Veldheer or a DL or an ILB, I'm just saying don't act like the options are 

or 

On the last part, I guess you could, sure. And you'd get him in for some extra practice if you get him in earlier. It's just not any sort of damned "do or die" move, that's all I'm saying. 

We need to stop acting like signing street FAs that were good 7 years ago is how you win titles just because we're bored fans and that not signing them means you're giving up on the SB. That doesn't mean I don't sign JV, I probably do if it's me. But I don't make it out to be way bigger than it is or start sweating about worse possible outcomes with why I have to.

Oh I agree with your point, the do it my way, or your not trying is simply egotistical BS... saying if you don't do it my way then you don't actually care like I do.

It's either an excuse and/or putting themself on an elite pedestal...

Gute absolutely is trying, anyone with a brain should be able to figure that out, but a smart person should be able to figure out, there are a lot more ways to lose a shot at a champion then there are at actually getting there and so often times it's more about what you don't do...

As that same logic said we had to trade for edge rusher Mack, or we were really trying, which I still see as a horrible deal, as you have to pay both the team the value of the player, then pay the player the value of the new contract.

Which the Raiders were wanting either two first round picks...

I think we got OLB Za'Darius Smith, OLB Rashan Gary and QB Jordan Love for that same price (more or less).

Looks like a lot of vets are off today. giving the young guys the reps in the last practice before the cuts... This will give the full squad five practices (Sun, Mon, Wed, Thur & Fri) before the first game.

I learned the rules this season for IR returnees. The numbers are uncapped. Anyone on the original 53M roster can go on the IR and return in only three weeks. This may also apply to the PS guys... This will be interesting. I'm thinking Martin, EQB & M. Adams make the 53M roster, then go on the IR. Maybe one or two more players as well. 

With the 53M roster, 16M PS & IR, not too many players will actually be cut.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Norm said:

or 

IIRC, Gute will wait until the season starts because then the contract is not guaranteed.  Signing them before the start of the season and them making the roster guarantees the contract.  True, this could be off-set with game by game bonuses, but patience by Gute will serve us well in the long run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donzo said:

...I learned the rules this season for IR returnees. The numbers are uncapped. Anyone on the original 53M roster can go on the IR and return in only three weeks. This may also apply to the PS guys... This will be interesting. I'm thinking Martin, EQB & M. Adams make the 53M roster, then go on the IR. Maybe one or two more players as well. 

With the 53M roster, 16M PS & IR, not too many players will actually be cut.

Thanks Donzo, really really helpful to know, and really significant adjustments compared to history.  Totally right, there won't need to be even ten guys who go unemployed.  

Are those rules Covid-specific?  Or is that perhaps what's going to be in the new contract going forward anyway?  I love the 3-week IR.  

Agree, Martin and MAdams seem obvious IR guys. 

EQ, I haven't actually heard anything about how severe, or what his issue is?  Same ankle?  Something totally different?  Covid test pending?  

Raven Green, we've never really gotten any input on what his latest injury is, or how long-lasting.  

Likewise Turner, if he's got ankle, it might well be way better to just park him for the first three weeks and don't tempt him or the trainers or the coach to try to come back on a weak ankle.  

I've got to say, I sure wish they'd make a 3-week IR a permanent thing.  

20 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

we should ask JAX what they want for Myles Jack

I want Myles Jack with a 2nd round pick and 4 years of rookie control, not Myles Jack with an enormous contract

I've kinda softened my stance with LBs and view them kinda like RBs now. I would draft them if they are elite if you have a complete team with the understanding you're not paying them 

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, craig said:

Thanks Donzo, really really helpful to know, and really significant adjustments compared to history.  Totally right, there won't need to be even ten guys who go unemployed.  

Are those rules Covid-specific?  Or is that perhaps what's going to be in the new contract going forward anyway?  I love the 3-week IR.  

Agree, Martin and MAdams seem obvious IR guys. 

EQ, I haven't actually heard anything about how severe, or what his issue is?  Same ankle?  Something totally different?  Covid test pending?  

Raven Green, we've never really gotten any input on what his latest injury is, or how long-lasting.  

Likewise Turner, if he's got ankle, it might well be way better to just park him for the first three weeks and don't tempt him or the trainers or the coach to try to come back on a weak ankle.  

I've got to say, I sure wish they'd make a 3-week IR a permanent thing.  

If he's not cut first...

46 minutes ago, craig said:

Their roster guess seems very solid, thanks.  Their most interesting choice is Nijman and Runyan yes, Light and Hanson no.

I assume the injury situation will also factor.  Who's cut, but then gets added the next day to replace an IR?  

Hanson cant snap under center apparently. Hes pretty obvious PS IMO.

20 hours ago, craig said:

Are those rules Covid-specific?  Or is that perhaps what's going to be in the new contract going forward anyway?  I love the 3-week IR.  I sure wish they'd make a 3-week IR a permanent thing.  

EQ, I haven't actually heard anything about how severe, or what his issue is?  Same ankle?  Something totally different?  Covid test pending?  Raven Green, we've never really gotten any input on what his latest injury is, or how long-lasting.   Likewise Turner, if he's got ankle, it might well be way better to just park him for the first three weeks and don't tempt him or the trainers or the coach to try to come back on a weak ankle.  

Glad I could help, Craig.

I was surprised I didn't read or hear about the uncapped 3W IR sooner. I was listening to the What She Said podcast at CHTV while working Wednesday and the two girls were just talking about the uncapped 3W IR like the whole world knew about it. One of them also talked about Hester looking good since he's been back. That's the only report I've heard about him at all.

It's definitely a covid related move and just for this season. But, we'll see how it ends up. Like you, I like it a lot. But, the NFL has some integrity issues with the IR and expanded rosters.

It'll be interesting to see how many players are on it by the end of the day. You listed the potential additions and with it being just three weeks. we'll probably see a some of those names on the IR.

I believe with these odd PS rules in place just for this year, in theory, we could sign OT Veldeer to the practice squad, pay him $5 million, which would not be on the cap at all, and then active him whenever we like.

The new PS rules expand the PS to 16, 6 of which can be veterans, and there is nothing maximum you could pay a PS player and I don't believe their money is on the cap.

Two PS players can be actives each week to potentially be part of the 48 man gameday rosters (8 of which have to be OL or you lose some gameday spots).

Be the perfect place to hide Veldeer, and not have his amounts count against the cap.