College Football and Covid19 (Cancellations, Postponements etc)

candyman93

2 hours ago, cortes02 said:

I have to admit that I'm surprised that the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 are continuing with their football seasons for the simple fact that there could potentially be lawsuits in the future.  Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way but are those conferences not afraid of a current player suing them years down the line?  If there are games played and a player catches covid-19 in which they experience some type of health complications in the future, what is stopping that former player from suing the University for negligence? I'm no lawyer and perhaps I'm being pessimistic but is this not a possibility?  With no way of protecting themselves from possible litigation in the future, is the risk worth it now to force a season with the potential to lose possibly millions in the future?

Peace!!!

I have to assume they all have opt-out policies without losing scholarship and a stated (for what it is worth) policy of not hurting the kids future in the program. If so there would be a significant assumption of risk defense.

Further negligence doesn't require you keep them completely safe only that you meet your duty of care. It can be argued that that the protocols in place meet that burden.

I'm in no way suggesting who would win one way or the other; it will likely be very fact specific to the situation. But I guarantee the university legal department has researched and determined it doesn't subject them to significant liability (Note: there is a cynical, and possibly correct, POV where they are making the analysis as a cost benefit and determined while they may face liability it will be less than what profit they gain from playing so is still ultimately a gain - it wouldn't be the first organization/business to do that).

27 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

It's become clear the NCAA doesn't ever have to worry about actual unionization since the players and parents will just give in if they say no football

I've seen a few of these letters. Is anyone else surprised that parents are demanding a voice in this? Like what gives them any standing to demand a meeting with the Commissioners or any of the things they are. Especially since their kids are ostensibly adults. If they due trust there kids to make adult decisions why are they involved at all. This is such large scale helicopter parenting.

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

I've seen a few of these letters. Is anyone else surprised that parents are demanding a voice in this? Like what gives them any standing to demand a meeting with the Commissioners or any of the things they are. Especially since their kids are ostensibly adults. If they due trust there kids to make adult decisions why are they involved at all. This is such large scale helicopter parenting.

The answer to all of these questions is the name Karen.

10 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

I have to admit that I'm surprised that the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 are continuing with their football seasons for the simple fact that there could potentially be lawsuits in the future.  Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way but are those conferences not afraid of a current player suing them years down the line?  If there are games played and a player catches covid-19 in which they experience some type of health complications in the future, what is stopping that former player from suing the University for negligence? I'm no lawyer and perhaps I'm being pessimistic but is this not a possibility?  With no way of protecting themselves from possible litigation in the future, is the risk worth it now to force a season with the potential to lose possibly millions in the future?

Peace!!!

I think it’s a bit of arrogance, defiance, and just looking to get a bit of a competitive advantage, be it PR or recurring even if temporary. But ultimately, I highly doubt there’s a fall season anywhere.

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

And from what we've seen from last week, Alabama and OKSt soon to follow.

Can they keep athletes on campus if universities go fully remote? Might be the best thing to happen for the conferences idiotically trying to push through.

Granted, most of these universities probably had no intention of not going remote at the first hint of an outbreak but wanted to rake in that money while they could from kids that weren't sure about paying university costs for an online/remote experience.

Edited by titansNvolsR#1

2 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Can they keep athletes on campus if universities go fully remote? Might be the best thing to happen for the conferences idiotically trying to push through.

Granted, most of these universities probably had no intention of not going remote at the first hint of an outbreak but wanted to rake in that money while they could from kids that weren't sure about paying university costs for an online/remote experience.

Good question. I just thought that schools said if there's no students on campus, there's no sports. I guess that was only select schools though.

21 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I believe that was specifically Michigan who said that.

I remember quite a few saying it. Michigan didn't even come to mind. I know Notre Dame did as well but can't think of other specifics off the top of my head. I'm probably just remembering isolated incidents and wanting to think it's the whole bc that's what I'd prefer to happen. Everyone start after New Year's.