What current QBs are in your Hall of Very Good

patriotsheatyan

Have the Lions even won a division title under Stafford yet, much less a playoff game?  I know it's not all on him, but I wouldn't put him anywhere close to the Hall of the Very Good, which I would agree is just guys who are looking right outside the Hall.  While I don't necessarily think it's his best season, the only noteworthy/memorable year he's had is in 2011, and even in the context of that season, it wasn't anything special.  Considering he's 32, he'd need to have an absolute banger of a finish to his career to even sniff the Hall.  Ditto Cousins and Smith.

I'd agree with Rivers and Ryan.  Ryan has an MVP, a Super Bowl appearance, and will go down as the best Falcons QB of all-time.  However he lacks a memorable season (as in a season people could say, "Ryan was so good this year," without having to go look at #s) outside of 2016, and I can't think of any plays or moments that stick-out for him.  What puts him ahead of a lot of other guys though is his consistency, so it's possible if everything played out perfectly for him over his final 2 or 3 years he could make a push into the Hall.  But I doubt it.  Rivers' chances are probably finished.  Personally, at his peak I think he was HOF-caliber, but unfortunately had that lull in his early 30s where the consistency wasn't necessarily there and the Chargers weren't good.  I can see him getting in based off him being a member of the 2004 Class though.  Despite Ryan holding more accolades, I think Rivers will have left a better lasting impression.  

Rivers had one of the best 3-year stretches from a QB in the 2000s between 2008-2010.  It's a shame the team didn't do a better job building around him after their talent depleted.

Outside of Rivers and Ryan, I'm not sure there is another QB I'd put in the "Hall of Very Good".  Most are either too early in their career or already locks.  I think most people would agree that if Russell Wilson retired tomorrow, he'd make it into the HOF.  Ben, Brees, Brady, and Rodgers are all locks, obviously.  

• Like 1

In no particular order:
Carson Palmer
Eli Manning (because of his SB relevance)
Mike Vick
Donovan McNabb
Steve McNair

Guys who I anticipate to finish as a HOVG (Have to have played at least half of their projected career):
Phillip Rivers
Cam Newton
Matt Ryan
Kirk Cousins
Matt Stafford

- FWIW I have the last two QBs there because they will have passing numbers and Pro Bowls. But in reality I wouldn’t particularly rank them above say Joe Flacco... who doesn’t have the numbers or pro bowls but far more career relevance (to this point) IMO.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Cam? Has a lot of similarities to Ryan in terms of career accolades...

He was the closest person I could think of out of everyone else.  I'd probably put him in the HOVG, but I can see why some wouldn't.  However if he pulls out 2-3 solid to strong seasons with the Patriots or another team then he's definitely in that category.  One thing he's got going for him that the other guys don't is that he's a memorable player.   Nobody is gonna remember anything from say, Stafford or Cousin's career (as of now). 

Ryan's been a lot more consistent though, although like Rivers and Stafford, I don't think that is all on Newton.  But that isn't going to matter to voters, so Cam's gonna need a few more seasons.

34 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Cam? Has a lot of similarities to Ryan in terms of career accolades...

I thought about Cam too. He’s had some awesome highs, but he’s pretty bad lows. That said, if one were to put Eli in HOVG instead of the HOF, Cam probably has a case too.

5 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Have the Lions even won a division title under Stafford yet, much less a playoff game?  I know it's not all on him, but I wouldn't put him anywhere close to the Hall of the Very Good, which I would agree is just guys who are looking right outside the Hall.  While I don't necessarily think it's his best season, the only noteworthy/memorable year he's had is in 2011, and even in the context of that season, it wasn't anything special.  Considering he's 32, he'd need to have an absolute banger of a finish to his career to even sniff the Hall.  Ditto Cousins and Smith.

I'd agree with Rivers and Ryan.  Ryan has an MVP, a Super Bowl appearance, and will go down as the best Falcons QB of all-time.  However he lacks a memorable season (as in a season people could say, "Ryan was so good this year," without having to go look at #s) outside of 2016, and I can't think of any plays or moments that stick-out for him.  What puts him ahead of a lot of other guys though is his consistency, so it's possible if everything played out perfectly for him over his final 2 or 3 years he could make a push into the Hall.  But I doubt it.  Rivers' chances are probably finished.  Personally, at his peak I think he was HOF-caliber, but unfortunately had that lull in his early 30s where the consistency wasn't necessarily there and the Chargers weren't good.  I can see him getting in based off him being a member of the 2004 Class though.  Despite Ryan holding more accolades, I think Rivers will have left a better lasting impression.

Rivers had one of the best 3-year stretches from a QB in the 2000s between 2008-2010.  It's a shame the team didn't do a better job building around him after their talent depleted.

Outside of Rivers and Ryan, I'm not sure there is another QB I'd put in the "Hall of Very Good".  Most are either too early in their career or already locks.  I think most people would agree that if Russell Wilson retired tomorrow, he'd make it into the HOF.  Ben, Brees, Brady, and Rodgers are all locks, obviously.  

How though? Like you said in the previous sentence, Ryan has more accolades, so why wouldn’t Ryan leave a more lasting impression?