NFL General Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, roger murdock said:

Mahomes is just a different level from everyone I've ever seen except Rodgers from a raw talent and consistency standpoint and I think he offers more from a leadership perspective. 

I think Allen is on par as is perhaps Herbert physically.  I don’t see the same talent as far as off platform throws/ability to change arm angles/etc, that’s all unrivaled.

As far as leadership and Watson it’s not comparable, but Watson at least has show the ability to play at a very high level, which if you want to compete consistently against the top 5-6 teams in the league you’re going to need high level QB play.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

I'd add Allen to that group too. Mahomes is better (as of now at least) but Allen isn't far behind. He's also not playing under one of the best offensive minds the league has ever seen in Andy Reid. There's a reason why Allen was drafted so high and it wasn't because of his college production. He just has literally everything you want physically in a QB and he put it all together after a couple of years.

His college production was abysmal.  He and Mahomes are going to get a lot of GMs fired for overlooking tape and flawed decision making because they think they can’t turn any prospects into one of these two unicorns.  You’ve already seen the Jets do it with Wilson.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

His college production was abysmal.  He and Mahomes are going to get a lot of GMs fired for overlooking tape and flawed decision making because they think they can’t turn any prospects into one of these two unicorns.  You’ve already seen the Jets do it with Wilson.

Wilson has talent, but him being drafted second overall was crazy to me. Him beating up a weak conference during a COVID season doesn't mean he was a great prospect. He was a dude who I could see you taking a chance on in the second round, but not second overall.

7 hours ago, DawgX said:

Wilson has talent, but him being drafted second overall was crazy to me. Him beating up a weak conference during a COVID season doesn't mean he was a great prospect. He was a dude who I could see you taking a chance on in the second round, but not second overall.

To me he looked like a day 2 prospect that gets drafted in the mid to late first because he’s a QB.  Lots of physical talent, more than enough to warrant a 1, but not enough tape to get him top 10.

2 was nuts.

Same with Lance tbh.  Dude threw 300 passes at directional Dakota and Shanny said “I can coach him up”.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
8 hours ago, DawgX said:

To me he looked like a day 2 prospect that gets drafted in the mid to late first because he’s a QB.  Lots of physical talent, more than enough to warrant a 1, but not enough tape to get him top 10.

2 was nuts.

Same with Lance tbh.  Dude threw 300 passes at directional Dakota and Shanny said “I can coach him up”.

Wilson essentially sucked for 2 years, then balled out against a bunch of 2 star dudes in a Covid year with zero people in the stands and almost no practice time, and in the one game they lost where they actually played a decent team, he looked bad. I don't get the fascination with him at all. He's a good but not great athlete and has some physical tools with almost zero refinement.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Wilson essentially sucked for 2 years, then balled out against a bunch of 2 star dudes in a Covid year with zero people in the stands and almost no practice time, and in the one game they lost where they actually played a decent team, he looked bad. I don't get the fascination with him at all. He's a good but not great athlete and has some physical tools with almost zero refinement.

His appeal is based 100% on the fact he’s a good looking kid who looks the part with an elite arm.  That’s it.  Because that’s all it can be because there’s nothing else.

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

His appeal is based 100% on the fact he’s a good looking kid who looks the part with an elite arm.  That’s it.  Because that’s all it can be because there’s nothing else.

All of that I understand to a degree, but the kid is 6'2 and 210 with an 11/9 TD to INT ratio his sophomore year at BYU. At least with Allen and Mahomes you had absolute physical marvels. I don't even think Wilson's potential or ceiling is all that high if he figures it out. He's certainly not physically on the same tier as Allen, Mahomes, or Herbert, and that's not even counting older dudes like Rodgers or guys with off the charts accuracy and intangibles or elite athleticism like Burrow, TB12, Wilson, Jackson, or Watson.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

All of that I understand to a degree, but the kid is 6'2 and 210 with an 11/9 TD to INT ratio his sophomore year at BYU. At least with Allen and Mahomes you had absolute physical marvels. I don't even think Wilson's potential or ceiling is all that high if he figures it out. He's certainly not physically on the same tier as Allen, Mahomes, or Herbert, and that's not even counting older dudes like Rodgers or guys with off the charts accuracy and intangibles or elite athleticism like Burrow, TB12, Wilson, Jackson, or Watson.

Did you watch any of his highlights?  He did a lot of the same stuff Mahomes does with throwing across his body/field/on the run.  Wild throws that we’re pretty awesome to see.  They’re also the kind of throws that get picked almost 100% of the time unless you’re Mahomes. That’s what I meant by those dudes are gonna get GMs fired.

Dude was able to look like a Safeway select version of Mahomes at BYU and GM’s jeans got tight because it’s a copycat league.

At best he looked like a guy who, like Mahomes as a matter of fact, would have benefited greatly from a year on the bench learning the game being a vet.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Did you watch any of his highlights?  He did a lot of the same stuff Mahomes does with throwing across his body/field/on the run.  Wild throws that we’re pretty awesome to see.  They’re also the kind of throws that get picked almost 100% of the time unless you’re Mahomes. That’s what I meant by those dudes are gonna get GMs fired.

For sure. And the level of competition matters on that type IMO. There's a reason that those are cardinal rules. Mahomes is an enigma in terms of not just arm strength, but arm angles that aren't hyped enough IMO.

39 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Dude was able to look like a Safeway select version of Mahomes at BYU and GM’s jeans got tight because it’s a copycat league.

At best he looked like a guy who, like Mahomes as a matter of fact, would have benefited greatly from a year on the bench learning the game being a vet.  

I just didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now. It makes zero sense.

Just now, MWil23 said:

For sure. And the level of competition matters on that type IMO. There's a reason that those are cardinal rules. Mahomes is an enigma in terms of not just arm strength, but arm angles that aren't hyped enough IMO.

I just didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now. It makes zero sense.

Especially ahead of a guy like Fields imo. Dude sliced big time programs for multiple years and a couple absolute question marks were taken 10 picks ahead of him.

• Like 1

Looks like Watt will miss 6 weeks or so

great news he won’t be out there next week. 

I’m actually most concerned about Atlanta in this 4 game stretch. They’ve got legit offensive weapons with Pitts, London, and Patterson is still trucking along. 

If Mariota can do some things with his legs they could give us problems. 

On 9/13/2022 at 8:40 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah Patrick Mahomes got this kid drafted. People saw that arm talent and were wowed. He can make every throw, but he'll dirt as many as he'll make. He has some ridiculous accuracy on those throws too, but his decision making and processing speed are broken.