NFL General Discussion

candyman93

15 hours ago, brownie man said:

I’m actually most concerned about Atlanta in this 4 game stretch. They’ve got legit offensive weapons with Pitts, London, and Patterson is still trucking along. 

I get that, but their defense is absolutely putrid. Plus, I legitimately think we have the horses to match up with pretty much anyone in the passing game. It's the power run scheme teams that will worry me. And Joe Woods always worries me. I think he sucks.

24 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I get that, but their defense is absolutely putrid. Plus, I legitimately think we have the horses to match up with pretty much anyone in the passing game. It's the power run scheme teams that will worry me. And Joe Woods always worries me. I think he sucks.

I'm still not sold on him yet. We had a top defense last year I think mainly due to talent and just beating up terrible offenses and opposing QBs, not because of great game plans developed by Woods. The Minnesota and Cincinnati games were about the only ones I was impressed by the game plan, but then he followed up the Cincinnati one with an absolutely pathetic game plan vs. New England.

So, I agree with you, new guy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I'm still not sold on him yet. We had a top defense last year I think mainly due to talent and just beating up terrible offenses and opposing QBs, not because of great game plans developed by Woods. The Minnesota and Cincinnati games were about the only ones I was impressed by the game plan, but then he followed up the Cincinnati one with an absolutely pathetic game plan vs. New England.

So, I agree with you, new guy.

Not sold on Woods either. His background is DB/passing game coach and that's where we have arguably the strongest unit on the team, yet in that area they had 2-3 huge lapses that nearly let Carolina steal victory from the has of defeat. 

Edited by dawgdish

38 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As far as the lapses, I have some difficulty putting that on coaching.  Players at this level should know the scheme and their responsibilities in it.  We don’t have rookies back there, these are vets who should be held accountable. 

That I agree with you on. I'm not so mad about the broken coverages too much, but moreso just what he's done since he's been here. He runs far too much zone coverage--especially vanilla zone, when we have a lead. We have the DB's to challenge WR's and play some press coverage out there. We pretty much never do that and it results in some absolute bum WR's getting open by running into green grass. I'm fine if we want to be a zone team primarily...but we have to be confident enough to play some man with a lead.

Also, his run defense schemes are terrible. Especially against power blocking schemes. The run fits make no sense and it gets our linebackers destroyed. Unless our DL doesn't listen to him whatsoever, they are god awful at participating in the run fits & we have been since he took over here.

I don't think our defense will be bad. I think it's pretty hard to be bad when you have two stud DE's and the coverage pieces we do. However, I think we'll consistently underachieve with Woods running that unit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As far as the lapses, I have some difficulty putting that on coaching.  Players at this level should know the scheme and their responsibilities in it.  We don’t have rookies back there, these are vets who should be held accountable. 

Blown assignments such as blown coverages, lining up in the wrong spots on offense or defense, not rotating on a coverage, etc. are 100% on the player for not understanding the playbook and being a professional. Danny Amendola even used to talk about why he liked McDaniels as opposed to literally EVERY OTHER COACH he ever had, which was that McDaniels would take the time to teach it, whereas every other coach was like "Here's your playbook. Read and understand it." That's the way it is in the league.

It's on players to execute. Now, last year and the year before when teams carved up our soft zone defense and hit a ton of slants/other things on 3rd and 4th Down, that's on the coach and the scheme.

Blown assignments are always on the player IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Blown assignments such as blown coverages, lining up in the wrong spots on offense or defense, not rotating on a coverage, etc. are 100% on the player for not understanding the playbook and being a professional. Danny Amendola even used to talk about why he liked McDaniels as opposed to literally EVERY OTHER COACH he ever had, which was that McDaniels would take the time to teach it, whereas every other coach was like "Here's your playbook. Read and understand it." That's the way it is in the league.

It's on players to execute. Now, last year and the year before when teams carved up our soft zone defense and hit a ton of slants/other things on 3rd and 4th Down, that's on the coach and the scheme.

Blown assignments are always on the player IMO.

Yeah this is a reasonable differentiation between what’s on the player vs the coaches.  

As far as the blown coverages, are the concepts being taught or just provided?  We as fans won’t know that, but it’s still on the player in large part.  Unsure what your job is?  Ask.  Ask another player, your position coach, the coordinator, whoever. 

As far as the vanilla defenses and schemes in general, it’s clearly intentional.  Woods is wanting to make sure thing stay on front of the defense and big plays are minimized, like a lot of the league at this point.  They want to force a team to execute 8, 10, 12 play drives without an error to get points.  It’s not a bad philosophy, especially when you have individual players who can cause as many issues as we do, but it also makes it inexcusable for the big plays to happen. There simply can’t be as many busted coverages as we’ve seen to start last year and this year when you’re running relatively basic concepts with multiple deep safeties.

We’ve been given a cakewalk of a schedule to start this season and get things figured out, and they really need to do that.  Flacco can’t do much at this point, but he can read a defense and he still has an arm.  If we continue to look lost on the back end, he’s gonna keep them in the game.

47 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah this is a reasonable differentiation between what’s on the player vs the coaches.  

As far as the blown coverages, are the concepts being taught or just provided?  We as fans won’t know that, but it’s still on the player in large part.  Unsure what your job is?  Ask.  Ask another player, your position coach, the coordinator, whoever. 

Absolutely. For example, that long TD pass to Anderson that was a blown coverage, we still don't know given the 2 high presnap look if the team was playing Cover 4 or a rotating Cover 3. JJ3 came down on the 7 yard out and the CB cut loose Anderson as soon as he broke to the post, which more or less means the CB thought he'd have help from a S. We don't know if JJ3 was supposed to cap that route, or if Delpit was supposed to rotate over to play center field on the post and never did. So, that could be on the CB, JJ3, or Delpit depending on the missed assignment. They were not on the same page as to what the coverage was.

I'd lean towards it being Cover 3 or Cover 4 given the late game stages and being up 2 possessions. You make whoever you're playing take a LOT of time off of the clock, which means a soft zone.

As far as the vanilla defenses and schemes in general, it’s clearly intentional.  Woods is wanting to make sure thing stay on front of the defense and big plays are minimized, like a lot of the league at this point.  They want to force a team to execute 8, 10, 12 play drives without an error to get points.  It’s not a bad philosophy, especially when you have individual players who can cause as many issues as we do, but it also makes it inexcusable for the big plays to happen. There simply can’t be as many busted coverages as we’ve seen to start last year and this year when you’re running relatively basic concepts with multiple deep safeties.

LOL yes. See above. Make them continue to move on the chains on 3rd and 4th Down, which they couldn't do almost the entire game up to that point.

We’ve been given a cakewalk of a schedule to start this season and get things figured out, and they really need to do that.  Flacco can’t do much at this point, but he can read a defense and he still has an arm.  If we continue to look lost on the back end, he’s gonna keep them in the game.

Yep. And the Chargers, while they look unreal on offense, have shown that they struggle against the run, and we get both them and New England (who is down for them) at home. They absolutely have to be 5-2 after the first Baltimore game going into the Bengals at home and then on the road against the Dolphins in back to back games, winning one of those, because the next week we get sacrificed to Buffalo.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Herb and mahomes make the impossible look easy, both have made some amzings passes. 

DW4 has that in him too. 

This what I’m saying 

anybody watching that game thinking Baker was gonna keep up with those guys week in and week out is fooling themselves 

Baker just ain’t in that echelon