College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Walkers problem is his lack of production.

If he had 10+ sacks last year, you’d hear “oh, he’s just now starting to bloom!”

His size, length, and athleticism put him in the Myles / Jadeveon category.

He played in a 4i in a mint front, of course he will lack production. He was a stack guy because they had a historically good defense. He did what he was asked to do and did it a high level,  that's why the scouts are so high on him. You put him as a 5 or a 7 tech in an even front like how Hutchinson was and there would he no doubt about his skills or ability. 

5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

@NateDawg great analysis on Walker. You dont take a dude at 1 because he might be a stud in 2026. I would take Hutch in heart beat, he might just be good for 8-10 years. But that is not nothing. 

Taking a guy at 1 and he can plug the run a bit for the first 2-3 years really sets hi up to be very unpopular. People want a stud, especially if you pick athletic upside. 

How do you know Hutchinson is a sure thing? Where was all of this his first two years?  Where was this against UGA which was considered talent comparable to the big stage? I don't think it's a slam dunk he will just automatically be good.

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

How do you know Hutchinson is a sure thing? Where was all of this his first two years?  Where was this against UGA which was considered talent comparable to the big stage? I don't think it's a slam dunk he will just automatically be good.

You are right. Relative too Travon he is a sure thing: Hutch is a good athlete, productive in his last year at least. 

Travon Walker had a 6% win rate vs pass protection, Myles is like 38% vs pass protection in  the nfl.

I think it is a terrible risk to take walker over hutch

15 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

You are right. Relative too Travon he is a sure thing: Hutch is a good athlete, productive in his last year at least. 

Travon Walker had a 6% win rate vs pass protection, Myles is like 38% vs pass protection in  the nfl.

This is where knowledge of football comes in, of course he is going to have a low win rate as a pass rusher, he rushes from a 4i (which is inside shade of the OT, when he rushes, he has a guard right in front of him in addition to the offensive tackle) meanwhile the Jack linebacker rushes from a 7 and a 9, there is context. Myles and any other guy lined up on the outside in an even front and has only one guy to beat so, yeah....

Lets be clear, im not touting him as the next coming, but when I see one sided arguments when there is context not being brought up, im going to speak up.

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

There is a lot of Vernon Gholston/Barkevious Mingo in Travon Walker. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.

People are getting way too caught up in his measurables and overlooking any of his actual on-field ability. IMO, he is a mid-1st guy you take a gamble on putting it together but that is a big big risk to be taking in the top 5. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

43 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

There is a lot of Vernon Gholston/Barkevious Mingo in Travon Walker. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.

Eh...there was plenty to like about Gholston:

Tackles Def Int Fumbles
Year School Conf Class Pos G Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
Career Ohio State         47 40 87 30.5 22.5 1 8 8.0 0 0 1 25 1
*2005 Ohio State Big Ten SO DL 5 1 0 1 0.0 0.0 0 0   0 0 0 0 0 0
*2006 Ohio State Big Ten JR DL 13 21 28 49 15.0 8.5 1 8 8.0 0          
*2007 Ohio State Big Ten SR DL 13 25 12 37 15.5 14.0 0 0   0 0 1 25 1 0

Take a look at his college career to go with a 9.65 RAS score

He progressed each year, was a great run defender, recorded 14 sacks as a junior after a very good sophomore season, and dominated the #1 overall pick in the draft (Jake Long). You'd think based upon the RAS which confirmed the film, he'd have been a "no brainer/great player", but he wasn't. The NFL draft is weird.

43 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

People are getting way too caught up in his measurables and overlooking any of his actual on-field ability. IMO, he is a mid-1st guy you take a gamble on putting it together but that is a big big risk to be taking in the top 5. 

It's really hard to gauge how productive a guy is in a 3 down lineman system where he's asked to be a 2 gap player and edge setter and then slide inside or outside on 3rd and long situations in that scheme.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean speaking of getting too caught up in something, you should probably note that Walker wasn't asked to do the same things as Gholston and Mingo as they were pure pass rushers. This is like comparing a kicker to a punter because they both use their legs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

1 hour ago, Reginaldm9 said:

I mean speaking of getting too caught up in something, you should probably note that Walker wasn't asked to do the same things as Gholston and Mingo as they were pure pass rushers. This is like comparing a kicker to a punter because they both use their legs. 

Do you not think if he was capable of doing something at a high level the Gerogia coaches would have asked him to do it?

The question is, if he was so good at rushing the passer why didnt he do it. It still grades him out to be a pure projection player. We think he can rush the passer well, we think his physical traits translate to playmaking at the next level. A bunch of 'we think' and not nearly enough 'we know' with Walker for my liking in the top 3-5.

I favor college production when looking at draft prospects way more than many do. I dont like the idea of ranking a college player extremely high purely off of what can can potentially do and not what he has actually done.

46 tackles, 7 sacks and 9 TFL in his last two seasons combined doesn't exactly jump out combined with him only being a 1 year starter.

Edited by AkronsWitness

58 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Do you not think if he was capable of doing something at a high level the Gerogia coaches would have asked him to do it?

The question is, if he was so good at rushing the passer why didnt he do it. It still grades him out to be a pure projection player. We think he can rush the passer well, we think his physical traits translate to playmaking at the next level. A bunch of 'we think' and not nearly enough 'we know' with Walker for my liking in the top 3-5.

I favor college production when looking at draft prospects way more than many do. I dont like the idea of ranking a college player extremely high purely off of what can can potentially do and not what he has actually done.

46 tackles, 7 sacks and 9 TFL in his last two seasons combined doesn't exactly jump out combined with him only being a 1 year starter.

I don't think you get what I mean, man. He's not playing the same position as a Mingo or Gholston. He's closer to Calais Campbell than any of those guys.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Pick 44 will be really interesting. I could see us trading up or down.

I think Berry really wants to fix special teams. We ranked 30th according to SI.

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/rick-gosselins-2021-nfl-special-teams-rankings

We have addressed it in a number of ways.

Cutting the Scottish hammer
signing Jakeem Grant 
signing the punter from GB