College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

2 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Yeah the Scouting community has been buzzing about him since the Combine.....he's already on everyones radar....kid from UTSA...Ive been keepin an eye on UTSA every since Marcus Davenport caught my eye a couple years ago....they also got a really good Olineman coming outta there, I saw this kid when I was trying to take a look a the Olineman....

Kid looks the part.,....but be careful, he played WR for his first 3 seasons and is a BRAND NEW CB.....it will take him 2 years to learn the position...but from a physical aspect, he's built and athletic like the best Corner I ever had on Madden....

My thing was possibly taking him in round 6....and then moving him to FS....I think he could be an ALL Pro in 3-4 years with patience

Hopefully for his sake he's the next Chris Gamble. He's still raw with yardage given up, which is normal for a newbie. Hopefully whoever drafts him takes the time to be patient and developing him properly as opposed to throwing him to the wolves right away.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This kid has the freakiest measurables I’ve ever seen from a CB. He’s 6’4 and runs a 4.26 with a 42’ vertical.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tariq-woolen/3200574f-4f71-3124-55f0-e6f0816e959a

I saw him too, he has some pretty nice ball skills as well. He could be a Brandon Browner special, someone is going to pull the trigger on him in the 4th, I guarantee there is a team or two who covets him higher than others 

There is depth to the draft but it’s really lacking some star power at the top. Travon Walker isnt Myles Garrett, the Bosa bros, or Chase Young. There isn’t an elite quarterback. There is really good depth at receiver and a good handful of really good defensive linemen. 

If I was Jacksonville I would take Aidan Hutchinson assuming I’m not able to trade back. If not him, I would take Evan Neal if they think he is a franchise left tackle, for their young quarterback. If I could trade back even at the back end of the top 10 and even get a future first round pick I would do it. I like Travon Walker but I’m not even sure he’s a pro bowler in the NFL. I do think he will be a good player. But a guy in most years I would probably take in the top 15. Certainly not first overall.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

There is depth to the draft but it’s really lacking some star power at the top. Travon Walker isnt Myles Garrett, the Bosa bros, or Chase Young. There isn’t an elite quarterback. There is really good depth at receiver and a good handful of really good defensive linemen. 

If I was Jacksonville I would take Aidan Hutchinson assuming I’m not able to trade back. If I could trade back even at the back end of the top 10 and even get a future first round pick I would do it. I like Travon Walker but I’m not even sure he’s a pro bowler in the NFL. I do think he will be a good player. But a guy in most years I would probably take in the top 15. Certainly not first overall.

If ever there was a year to be picking about 3 times in the 10-25 range and/or have about 3 2nd Round picks, this is the one. I like the 10-40 range. The rest of the draft...eh. 

• Like 1

I almost like the Walker pick more than Hutchinson. Hutchinson is going to be a good DE, but not the kind of guy you normally hope for with #1. If you're in that spot and have Josh Allen already on the D line you might as well pick for pure upside and I think Walker could be insane eventually. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

If Cam Heyward can make the Pro Bowl, so can he...

This is kind of my point though. Heyward has more than fulfilled his potential. But he was taken way later on. And he’s not the norm. Obviously if you knew you were getting this type of production/career, you take the guy. I’m not saying he’s a bad player. In fact I think he is going to be a good player. Just not a guy that typically goes first overall.

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

This is kind of my point though. Heyward has more than fulfilled his potential. But he was taken way later on. And he’s not the norm. Obviously if you knew you were getting this type of production/career, you take the guy. I’m not saying he’s a bad player. In fact I think he is going to be a good player. Just not a guy that typically goes first overall.

Yeah, it's just luck of the draw. Some years, you have a Trevor Lawrence, and some years you have an Eric Fischer.

But then it's up to the best FO's to find the Aaron Donald's or JJ Watt's.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

He is his own skill set, just because they fit a certain mold or have a certain skill set doesn't mean he can't be good 

I agree. I think he is a good player. I’m not even comparing apples to apples with some of those guys specific skill sets necessarily. But I don’t see him changing a team like Aaron Donald, a Watt or Bosa brother, etc. Those guys change a team in a different way than Cameron Heyward. Who I would say is the best case scenario for Walker.

I do think he is going to be a good player, somebody that I would be really happy to land in the top 15 on a normal year. If you put him on a good team in the first round, I think he would be a really good piece. If you put him in Jacksonville, they are still going to be really bad.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

If I was Jacksonville I would take Aidan Hutchinson assuming I’m not able to trade back. If not him, I would take Evan Neal if they think he is a franchise left tackle, for their young quarterback. If I could trade back even at the back end of the top 10 and even get a future first round pick I would do it. I like Travon Walker but I’m not even sure he’s a pro bowler in the NFL. I do think he will be a good player. But a guy in most years I would probably take in the top 15. Certainly not first overall.

This draft also seems really good for LB/DE along with WR. Which just so happens to be the 3 biggest Browns needs lol 

• Like 1

@NateDawg great analysis on Walker. You dont take a dude at 1 because he might be a stud in 2026. I would take Hutch in heart beat, he might just be good for 8-10 years. But that is not nothing. 

Taking a guy at 1 and he can plug the run a bit for the first 2-3 years really sets hi up to be very unpopular. People want a stud, especially if you pick athletic upside. 

• Like 1