MVP Watch FINAL RANKINGS (Version 17.0)

BayRaider

4 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Mahomes would runaway with the award if the voters had to watch every game. I've never seen a team with this bad of an offensive line win this many games.

Well you've been watching football for three years and you only watch Chiefs games so this makes sense

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Well you've been watching football for three years and you only watch Chiefs games so this makes sense

He reminds me a lot of Steph Curry from the standpoint of guys around the league hating him because he's just too naturally talented and good of a dude to not hate if you're actually being honest with yourself. Curry can rain in three pointers unlike anyone I've ever seen and same with Mahomes and his back foot and awkward angle deep bombs while on the move. Both were also raised in pro locker rooms and probably perfectly prepped to be a pro athlete before they even hit high school. That has to create animosity around the league as guys can sense that it's levels to this **** and Mahomes is in a tier of his own and can't be caught up with.

He's really going to have to blow away the competition to ever win MVP even if he keeps willing his team to the most wins year after year. His record shattering stats are seen as too easy as a reflection of his talent. This immediately puts all the other guys at an advantage with the voters. It is what it is.

Edited by Kirill

14 minutes ago, DannyB said:

In some years Henry's season may have been good enough for the MVP, but 2000 yards hardly makes for an automatic MVP. Before AD (in a weak QB year), the previous two 2k rushers didn't get MVP. Nor did Dickerson, who still holds the single season rushing record (hell he didn't even get OPOY).

If you look at history, Henry won't get the MVP, but almost certainly will get OPOY.

You're right, but I think that's part of the problem. Two of the four RBs who had more yards in a season than Henry did get the MVP, and one of them who didn't (Dickerson) lost out to Marino, who had one of the most dominant seasons for a QB in NFL history. And even then I'd argue that Dickerson should have gotten co-MVP.

14 minutes ago, Kirill said:

He reminds me a lot of Steph Curry from the standpoint of guys around the league hating him because he's just too naturally talented and good of a dude to not hate if you're actually being honest with yourself. Curry can rain in three pointers unlike anyone I've ever seen and same with Mahomes and his back foot and awkward angle deep bombs while on the move. Both were also raised in pro locker rooms and probably perfectly prepped to be a pro athlete before they even hit high school. That has to create animosity around the league as guys can sense that it's levels to this **** and Mahomes is in a tier of his own and can't be caught up with.

He's really going to have to blow away the competition to ever win MVP even if he keeps willing his team to the most wins year after year. His record shattering stats are seen as too easy as a reflection of his talent. This immediately puts all the other guys at an advantage with the voters. It is what it is.

Well that would make sense if he had better stats then Rodgers and still lost but he doesn't sooooooo.... Maybe just maybe Aaron Rodgers just played better then Patrick Mahomes this year? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

Rodgers getting it makes sense.

Just makes me sad for Henry. First back to back rushing leader in over a decade, and one of only 8 RBs to rush for 2000 yards.

Kinda shows that a RB can’t really be MVP anymore. I don’t know how much more you can ask from one.

Disagree. RB’s can be MVP but Rodgers just literally put up a Top 5 QB season in history. I’d only 2011 Rodgers, 2004 Manning, and 2007 Brady over this season. If you do your homework, it’s right there. 

Nobody hates Mahomes--except for some fans of divisional opponents. He's a likeable person. Rodgers had a better year and the team record was close enough that it won't make much difference. Both #1 seeds. It's not like it's Mahomes vs. Deshaun Watson (and the lousy Texans).

53 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Disagree. RB’s can be MVP but Rodgers just literally put up a Top 5 QB season in history. I’d only 2011 Rodgers, 2004 Manning, and 2007 Brady over this season. If you do your homework, it’s right there. 

How can you leave Marino '84 out?? To me that's still the benchmark, you can't disregard context. He was SOOOO far ahead of the rest of the league. No quarterback not named Marino would even throw 40 TDs in a season until FIFTEEN years later! And the record wouldn't be broken for 20 years. That record was then broken a few years later, and again a few years later after that, big whoop. When Marino broke the record, it had stood for over TWENTY years, and he didn't just squeak past it, he absolutely annihilated it.

Oh and he also passed for 5,000 yards, a record that stood for a QUARTER OF A CENTURY, with frankly nobody even coming close until after the turn of the millennium. And this is back when yardage actually meant something, compared to post-2010, where you could just wake up, roll out of bed and take a groggy piss for 5,000 yards in a season.

He also kept his INTs down to a reasonable number for the time, giving him a 3:1 ratio, which was fantastic during a time in which 2:1 was considered REALLY good.

TD%: two percentage points better than the next best (meaning like, thirty percent better than 2nd place!)

Completion%: third in the league while having the most attempts (double the attempts of the dude who was in first, and was two tenths of a percentage point away from the 2 spot)

YPA: 9.0, a half yard better than 2nd place.

Just, everything about his year would be impressive TODAY, and he was doing it in an era where it was immeasurably more difficult to move the ball through the air. This is still the gold standard for "Best passing season" for me.

• Like 1

@DannyB

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=589059

I probably put 250+ hours into that. Made before the 2017 season. 

‘84 Marino’s Season was amazing, and a lot of casual fans gold standard (not that I’m calling you casual, you may have done your own research, and your own opinion says ‘84 Marino). However, when you dig deep and really analyze, there’s quite a few seasons above it.